Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Grundy Insurance - Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Frank, as already mentioned it might serve you well to verify/check out the agreed value as my bet is it is not what you think.
I called today and asked my agent, I have an agreed value of $15,000, if the car is a total loss I would get $15,000 with the option of taking less and keeping the car, whatever they thought the salvage value was.
I can drive anywhere, any day etc. There is no blackout dates, like for winter, in case my house burns down I guess.

It sounded OK to me, if there are some other questions I should ask to make sure I'm OK please let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by myoriginal77; 11-04-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM
rdroe
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC Area Events Coordinator

Hmmm .... While I totally believe you and the quotes from the Hagerty rep that you spoke to, my experience was different. I asked if I could drive it to work *for pleasure* several times per month and was told yes. I asked if I could take it on a *pleasure trip* for several days to a bed / breakfast and was told yes. I also asked if my final destination was NOT a show or club event, but simply a drive with my wife to, say a winery, or just cruising, and I was told that I was covered. Let's face it, it is our pleasure car and, so we like to drive it for pleasure. If I was to use it as my every-day-driver, I would sign up, regardless of it's age, with a normal policy. One of my reasons for Hagerty over Grundy was the relaxed restrictions.

Just my .02 ..
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by drspencer
I'm always reluctant to respond to this subject whenever it comes up, as there will surely be a host of people who disagree, have their own opinions, ideas, and many who are just wishful thinkers when it comes to the safety and security of their personal cars.

Having said that, below are facts I received via a telephone conversation directly from a Hagerty Insurance rep (not my opinion) when I was considering switching to them.

I asked the Hagerty agent, point blank, if I would be covered in the following circumstances, and each time his answer was no, followed with a detailed explanation.

1) Can I take my car to my office one sunny day per month and park it in a private lot?
No, this would be considered using the vehicle as a 'daily driver', not a pleasure vehicle.

2) Can I take my car to the mountains/coast for the weekend and park it in a secure Hotel parking lot?
No. Because when you are away from your primary residence for an extended period of time, you would have no choice but to use the vehicle as 'personal vehicle/daily driver' for all your activities and needs.

3) Can I take my car out of State to visit a friend for the weekend, parking it in the friends private driveway or garage?
No. Once again, because you are away from your primary residence for an extended period of time, you would have no choice but to use the vehicle as 'personal vehicle/daily driver' for all your activities and needs during your weekend visit.

What if I were to use the friends car, not my C3, for my activities and needs once I arrived at their out of State home?
Sorry, we would have no way to verify that.

4) Can I stop at Wal-Mart for a quart of oil
No Wal-Mart, whatsoever.

5) If I can't use my car in any of the above situations, then when am I covered?
During periodic pleasure driving, to and from events, etc.

I'm not knocking Classic car insurance carriers. I'm simply suggesting that people be aware that they're not covered in a wide variety of common driving situations, when they usually think they are.

Read the terms carefully. Even the wording on Hagerty's web site is ambiguous and misleading:

From their website, http://www.hagerty.com/us/auto.aspx?id=69482

What are your usage restrictions/guidelines?

"Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows".

"While there are some restrictions in the policy." That's a pretty wide area that's not clearly defined. When you check the fine print to see exactly what these "certain restrictions" are, I think you'll be surprised.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will respond indicating that they've never had a problem getting Hagerty to make good on a claim. Congratulations. The point of my post was not to slam Hagerty, or any other carrier, but to simply make people aware of the fine print.

Next time you have a Hagerty agent on the phone, ask them to mail you a detailed copy of the terms and provisions outlined in their policy. You'll actually be able to hear the agent squirm on the other end of the line.
You are 100% correct. I did the same thing after I got my Hagerty policy I read the actual policy and didn't like the language for "use" so I called them and realized that it is really not appropriate for me and that is why I switched to Grundy. Now I am with Adam Boca and he got me a policy that covers me for your listed items. I do have another car that I drive primarily but can use the vette as I want to with Adam's policy.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroe
Hmmm .... While I totally believe you and the quotes from the Hagerty rep that you spoke to, my experience was different. I asked if I could drive it to work *for pleasure* several times per month and was told yes.
I also checked into Hagerty last year. My recommendation:

Send an email to your agent with the same scenarios you asked him on the phone. See if he will give you the same answers in writing. My bet is he will not. I found Hagerty to be very slippery when it comes to stating I would be covered for anything in writing. On the phone they'll tell you they're so flexible, no problem.

I went with Adam@NCM because they put the restrictions and covered scenarios in writing.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I also checked into Hagerty last year. My recommendation:

Send an email to your agent with the same scenarios you asked him on the phone. See if he will give you the same answers in writing. My bet is he will not. I found Hagerty to be very slippery when it comes to stating I would be covered for anything in writing. On the phone they'll tell you they're so flexible, no problem.

I went with Adam@NCM because they put the restrictions and covered scenarios in writing.
That's correct. Ask for everything in writing, listen to the squirming, then shop elsewhere.

Last edited by drspencer; 11-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
khoffx2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a shame that Grundy is apparently getting out of the classic car insurance business. They had an interesting take on pleasure driving. The owner was interviewed on "My Classic Car" and he discussed it. To see the interview:

Go to the "My Classic Car" website, Click on "Episodes" then "Season 13 (2009) and then "Episode 6", then on the right hand side click on "Garage segment". At about 3 minutes into the video you can watch and listen to him discuss occasionally (he says “once a week” is occasional) driving your classic car to work.

I don't know what Philadelphia Indemnity's take on this issue will be but I'll need to find out before I renew my insurance.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Hmmm...looks like I will be giving Adam & JC Taylor a call about switching coverage also from Hagerty. Thanks for doing the research guys on who has the most flexible coverage.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Joebrick
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just signed on with Grundy (Philly Insurance) since, believe it or not, my 2001 Chevy pickup was too old to be considered a primary vehicle on a new policy. Grundy didn't have any objection to that and in addition I don't have a mileage limit on the 'vette. The age of my primary driver car is the reason I didn't go with Hagerty or JC Taylor.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 212 Posts

you guys just don't realize that insurance is nothing but faith. they rely on the faith of their customers. the pay out only on faith and not on some contract. read the fine print and have a contract lawyer tell you what it all really means. there are so many 'outs' for the insurance company that they don't have to pay you anything.

now they do pay in order to have good service and a good name.. and a good name is what insurance companys live and die by.

I had insurance for years on another classic car that was 'stated value' vs. today's 'agreed value' policy. I never had a claim, but wonder what would have happened if I did... was i throwing money away each year since 'stated value' means nothing?

read your fine print and go with the company that has the most to lose if they try to deny your claim.

I know if my car gets stolen from a motel parking lot, I will go home and then call the police and say it was stolen from my garage...
Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

I know if my car gets stolen from a motel parking lot, I will go home and then call the police and say it was stolen from my garage...
Not worth a felony IMO.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aci

Originally Posted by gq82
Don't know if you checked with American Collectors Ins and I don't know if they have a policy to fit your needs but their prices are very competitive and they are easy to do business with....been a policy owner for over 10 years.

http://www.americancollectors.com/
I agree that American Collectors is easy to work with. I have had USAA on my non-classic cars for decades and it was USAA who referred me over to American Classics Insurance (ACI) when I got my Vette... I think they have some sort of referral arrangment.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Thought I would give an interesting Grundy update. I cancelled my policy in writing on November 3rd twice because they said they didn't receive the first one. Now they are telling me that they haven't received any cancellation (spoke to someone on the 3rd who confirmed receipt but unfortunately they are telling me that she is "not available to speak with"). I feel real bad for anyone who has Grundy and has to ever file a claim.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gq82
Don't know if you checked with American Collectors Ins and I don't know if they have a policy to fit your needs but their prices are very competitive and they are easy to do business with....been a policy owner for over 10 years.

http://www.americancollectors.com/
I picked them up this year in conjunction with a wholesale change to USAA for all the rest of my insurance. What good, responsive people they are! Great price and policy.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:56 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread is three years old. Doesn't seem fair to bring up old dirt on a company to ask a question unrelated to that company.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,372 Likes on 2,793 Posts

Unrelated question deleted. Thread will be closed and moved to Transactions Feedback where it should have been in the first place.