Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

DFW Corvette fatality

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:33 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default DFW Corvette fatality

I just saw this on the 6:00 news. A 17 year old was killed and his brother injured when their Corvette collided head-on with a semi on 635. Witnesses say the Corvette was weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, lost control, and went across the median into oncoming traffic where it was hit by the 18-wheeler. The Corvette disintegrated on impact, but judging by a door and one of the wheels, it looks to have been a red C3. I wonder if he was a forum member. Be careful out there. :blueangel: :blueangel:
Old 11-13-2003, 08:04 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (BlackbirdZ07)

Witnesses say the Corvette was weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, lost control, and went across the median into oncoming traffic where it was hit by the 18-wheeler.
karma. :thumbs:
Old 11-13-2003, 08:30 PM
MC TORCH RED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (EVIL)

:blueangel:
Old 11-13-2003, 09:55 PM
WRK CAR
Pro

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (MC TORCH RED)

:blueangel:
Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (WRK CAR)

:blueangel: :blueangel:
Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Witnesses say the Corvette was weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, lost control, and went across the median into oncoming traffic where it was hit by the 18-wheeler.

karma. :thumbs:
:iagree: Karma - it's a bitch.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

So I take it from your response you assume that the 17 year old was driving the car?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Skull One
Drifting

http://html.nbc5i.com/sh/slideshow/_auto/sh32839s1.html

Hopefully no one else will push their Vette's limits on public roads after seeing this.

My prayers are with these two kids parents. So young to be gone forever.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (Skull One)

Being a father of 2 teenagers this scares me :( . What a waste. I let my son's seen the link from NBC5 so they could see what could happen if they don't use good judgment
Old 11-14-2003, 10:00 AM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (Dugmole)

So I take it from your response you assume that the 17 year old was driving the car?
while i wont deny it was tragic, there has to be some level of personal accountability for one owns actions and you can't get more accountable than death. it doesn't matter who was driving, you drive like an azzhole you're gonna loose someday....

if they had hit a minivan and killed to small children we'd be having a much different conversation.

[Modified by EVIL, 9:00 AM 11/14/2003]
Old 11-14-2003, 11:02 AM
dbarbosa
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

while i wont deny it was tragic, there has to be some level of personal accountability for one owns actions and you can't get more accountable than death. it doesn't matter who was driving, you drive like an azzhole you're gonna loose someday....

if they had hit a minivan and killed to small children we'd be having a much different conversation.

Doug / Rob, Some people just don't get it.

True it was tragic. :blueangel:

I bet if it was Evil's son, He would not appreciate the Karma:thumbs: comment.

All I am saying is someone lost a life, have some compassion and keep those neg. comments to yourself.

There are parents morning the loss of there son.

I am glad we never did anything stupid when we where 17.

Darwin.

[Modified by EVIL, 9:00 AM 11/14/2003]
Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

...but judging by a door and one of the wheels, it looks to have been a red C3.
That was a C3. :( Emphasis on was. :nonod: Sometime I think my parents were smart by not putting the keys to a Trans Am or Vette in my hands when I was a teenager. Not that I was out of control or anything, but hey, doing stupid things from time to time is part of being a teenager. And who knows, one of my stupid ooopses could have ended up like that. And still, you never know. Just be smart with these toys.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:43 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (Corvette_fetish)

That is a shame. Didn't have to happen. I agree, I'm glad I didn't have the keys to a vette when I was in HS. Wow. RIP and my prayers out to their families. Hope the truck driver was okay.

Doug
Old 11-15-2003, 02:38 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (Snowman)

Hope the truck driver was okay.

Doug
The news reported that the truck driver was uninjured. However, I bet it will be a while before he's okay emotionally.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:06 AM
vette_dreamer
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Being a Dad myself, I can't imagine how tough this is for the parents. I can't say that I feel bad for the teenager thougth, according to the report "Police say the driver crossed the median from the northbound lane and hit this semi head on ... ". It could have been me with my kids in my sedan, or any other family for that matter. Being 17 is not an excuse for doing stupid things, one should know enough at 17 that there are consequence to things you do.
Prayers for the family.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Joe Diver
CF Enhanced Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (vette_dreamer)

It is truly a tragedy, but thankfully they only hurt themselves. I do realize many others were hurt emotionally, but my point is that they hit a truck, the driver was uninjured, so their stupidity only cost them. Like has been stated above, they could have hit a vehicle that might not have been able to take that sort of impact, and many other lives would have been affected. Sad, but again, thank God they only hurt themselves. Imagine, in addition to the loss of life, if the family had to deal with the massive financial devastation that would come in the wake of such a tragedy if other lives had been lost. Not only would they be losing a child, they would be losing a future.

Think about that when you get stupid....you may pay the ultimate price for your stupidity, but your family will pay forever.

RIP :blueangel:
Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 PM
mistaben
Burning Brakes

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (Joe Diver)

It is truly a tragedy, but thankfully they only hurt themselves. I do realize many others were hurt emotionally, but my point is that they hit a truck, the driver was uninjured, so their stupidity only cost them. Like has been stated above, they could have hit a vehicle that might not have been able to take that sort of impact, and many other lives would have been affected. Sad, but again, thank God they only hurt themselves. Imagine, in addition to the loss of life, if the family had to deal with the massive financial devastation that would come in the wake of such a tragedy if other lives had been lost. Not only would they be losing a child, they would be losing a future.

Think about that when you get stupid....you may pay the ultimate price for your stupidity, but your family will pay forever.

RIP :blueangel:
Like has been aforementioned they COULD have hit a family van. But they didn't so it changes things. They didn't kill anyone else other then themselves. and hee didn't cross THAT median on purpose, already lost it way before.

maybe its just because i am 3 months past 17 that i still feel as though these people should have a lot of common sense, responsibility, etc, but the reality is 17yr olds dont. it just isn't there yet in most teens by that age in our society. poopie I KNOW I DONT. this post just serves to make my stomach churn, my blessings are with the family :blueangel: :blueangel:
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
1960LS6
Intermediate

Default Re: DFW Corvette fatality (mistaben)

I was 17 once and I grew up around Vettes. I took a 425hp, 396ci Silver/ Silver Coupe to my prom at 17 years old. It was not the traffic tickets, the DWI, the chance of hurting others or myself that stopped me from the same fate as these two young men (RIP :blueangel: ), it was the "FEAR OF DAD". That was all the common sense I needed. Everything else was taken care of. My father took the time to give me the tools I needed to make reasonable choices while driving a car that could out perform my experience.

Ultimately, we as parents must teach our kids what is needed to have fun, but always make it back in the driveway. It can happen anywhere.

WE MUST GET THE WORD OUT THAT IRRESPONSIBILITY BEHIND THE WHEEL KILLS PEOPLE!...it doesn't matter how old you/we are... :mad

[Modified by 1960LS6, 3:49 PM 11/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To DFW Corvette fatality

Quick Reply: DFW Corvette fatality