Car Registration fee for car older than 25 years. Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Car Registration fee for car older than 25 years. Texas

Hi there,

I adquired some days ago a 74 C3 out of Texas, Michigan actually.

Do you know if cars older than 25 years are required to pay taxes for registration?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 PM
94LT4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/cat...-or-street-rod
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

In Texas you have two options, registering the vehicle as Antique or Classic. I currently own both registration types so I have experiences with the differences.

Antique cars do not require annual inspections and are registered for multiple years per registration. An Antique registration comes with some limitations on annual mileage and technically can only be driven for special events (parades, car shows, etc) however you will find it is virtually impossible to enforce those restrictions. Another interesting limitation is you cannot have personalized license plates with an Antique registration.

Classic registration cars require annual inspections but do not have the limited use/mileage constraints that Antique registrations do. You can run either time period correct plates or personalized plates with a Classic registration.

Last edited by RC4G; 04-20-2016 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corvetero (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 04:06 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
In Texas you have two options, registering the vehicle as Antique or Classic. I currently own both registration types so I have experiences with the differences.

Antique cars do not require annual inspections and are registered for multiple years per registration. An Antique registration comes with some limitations on annual mileage and technically can only be driven for special events (parades, car shows, etc) however you will find it is virtually impossible to enforce those restrictions. Another interesting limitation is you cannot have personalized license plates with an Antique registration.

Classic registration cars require annual inspections but do not have the limited use/mileage constraints that Antique registrations do. You can run either time period correct plates or personalized plates with a Classic registration.
What about taxes when doing the registration on any case?

If I register the car as classic do I have to pay taxes as standard cars do?

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:14 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

It's $55 for 5 years as an antique and you can buy 1974 tags from a vendor and after getting them approved by TxDOT you can put them on your car. Many of us do that instead of that stupid looking antique tag. I drive my car anywhere I want with no problems (not as a daily driver though).

I think 1974 was the last year for Year of Manufacture plates. In 75, they went to stickers for the years.

Last edited by F4Gary; 04-20-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Registration fee for car older than 25 years. Texas

Quick Reply: Car Registration fee for car older than 25 years. Texas