Houston - 7/12/14 - 3rd Annual Cruise to College Station

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Houston - 7/12/14 - 3rd Annual Cruise to College Station

Corvette Owners Club of Houston (COCH) is hosting the Third Annual Twisted Cruise from Houston to College Station on Saturday July 12.

I need a headcount and a car count for the restaurant. So please RSVP here on the forum.

We will be eating at Koppe Bridge in College Station again this year. In order to find a location that isn't completely swamped at lunch time we have to eat a little later. We will be shooting for a 2pm arrival time (approximate).
www.koppebridge.com
We will be ordering off their menu. It's even easier for a big group as we can order at the counter. This place is home to some of the best burgers and fries I've located. They have more on their menu, but if you are a fan of big burgers, you will definitely enjoy!!

Times - We are going to meet in Katy at 11:00. Planned departure at 11:30. We should arrive at Koppe about 2 (maybe a touch before).

Meeting Location - HEB Parking lot - I-10 and Pin Oak Road. South Side of I-10. Opportunities to fill up at the HEB gas pumps or step inside for a bathroom break. Since it's only a two hour ride and there are limited stopping locations, no planned stops on the drive.

Maps with distances will be distributed at the drivers meeting prior to departure.

Directions are more as they appear on the map as many of these roads twist all over the place.
I-10W
359 North towards Hempstead
Hwy 6 North/West for one exit
FM 1488 Northeast
FM 362 North towards Navasota
FM 105 West
Hwy 6 North for two exits
FM 3090 North
FM 224 North
Hwy 30 West
Harvey Road/Hwy 30 Southeast - Koppe Bridge located here.

Notes.
-- FM 362 is a very bumpy road. It appears there are some nice sweeping corners that you can drive through "briskly", but there are major bumps that threaten car stability. Trust me.... Especially you guys that cruise in the back of the pack or the high horsepower cars. It's still a fun road, just don't overdo it. NOTE the bumpiness was confirmed by a handful of cars last year. Keep it safe folks and keep the nose of the car pointed forward!
--FM3090 is recognized by some publications as one of the 10 best roads in TX. While it is amazingly twisty and a ton of fun, please exercise appropriate caution. You will see the signs indicating how many motorcyclists have been killed on that stretch of road in the last few years. I've even seen downed riders on my scouting drives each of the past two years. Despite the warning, this road is a ton of fun and our having 4 tires on the ground helps immensely. Beware of sport bikes (as opposed to just Harley's) flying in both directions. It's a popular road!

--Grouping issues Three real points where the group will break up.
(1) At the start of our journey we will get broken into groups before we get onto I-10. We'll keep the speeds down on the interstate for a bit to allow for regrouping.
(2) Travelling through Brookshire on 359 there are a few stoplights that will break us up. It will be relatively easy to regroup on 359.
(3) This is the worst spot. As we turn off FM 362 onto FM 105 we will get divided. Just proceed on FM105 then Hwy 6 to the exit to FM 3090. It's a quiet exit ramp/dead end feeder road with limited traffic. We will pause here (staying in the cars) to allow the group to reform. Then we head onto 3090 for the last part of our journey and much exercise for the drivers.....

BONUS BONUS BONUS
As is now tradition, for those looking for a little more adventure, we will have a second portion of the cruise after we eat. We will head through College Station up towards Caldwell. This road is extremely twisty and good fun. Ask the folks who made this portion of the cruise in the past. Let's put it this way, I nearly overheated my car we had so much fun!!!
We will drive the twisty road to Caldwell, turn around and drive it back. Then we will head down to Brenham and make our way back to Houston. Estimated return trip time is about 3 hours. As this will put us home later in the evening, it is an optional part of the cruise. The number that join us will dictate the pace we can take.
My new clutch that isn't all the way broken in will also be a big factor.....

Details/directions on the bonus portion to follow at the event.

Please sign up and let me know if you will do this cruise. Then pass the word to all the other Corvette Clubs and all other Corvette buddies as well. This is an open event for all Corvettes. The more the merrier!!!!!

Please RSVP here. I'll track them in the second post.

chris

Last edited by chrisj; 07-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Yes, in year's past we've picked up some folks in the Hempstead area.
A good meeting location is Hwy 6/1488. There are a couple of places to wait there.
We've also picked up folks on 105 near Navasota.
If you want to do any of those, no sweat. Just let me know what you want to do.
We do need a head count though to make sure we aren't bigger than Koppe!!!!!!

RSVP List

1. ChrisJ - 2
2. Corvette Owners Club of Houston - 24 cars, @42 people
3. mjoacim - 2
4. smurfkiller - 2 (hopefully in a Vette!)
5. EOD_Tech Infidel
6. nitemaremarine
7. Friend of smurt - 2
8. KEricson - 2
9. NAACC - 5-10 cars (est)
10. Space City Corvette Club - 5-10 cars (est)

Count - 31 cars + 10-20 from two other clubs.
Could be a big cruise. Either way, some folks are going to miss out on the fun!

Edit - I'm tracking COCH responses on a club evite list... but I'm hearing there may be even more cars from COCH.

Who's Next?

Last edited by chrisj; 07-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:47 PM
mjoacim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj
Yes, in year's past we've picked up some folks in the Hempstead area.
A good meeting location is Hwy 6/1488. There are a couple of places to wait there.
We've also picked up folks on 105 near Navasota.
If you want to do any of those, no sweat. Just let me know what you want to do.
We do need a head count though to make sure we aren't bigger than Koppe!!!!!!

RSVP List

1. ChrisJ - 2
2. Corvette Owners Club - 12 cars, 23 people
3. Who's Next?
I'm in with a +1.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Holiday bump, and numbers updated.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bonus section is a must if you want to "ENJOY" your car if your a lil timmed about it or dont want to see 3 digits on your speedo then dont go on bonus section. or if you do atleast get in the very back so people who wanna go a lil quicker can.

i went last year it was a blast , good food, good people and bonus section was great fun trying to keep up with jim's 700+ hp ZR1 and chris.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

You joining us again this year?

Clearly we just enjoyed a leisurely drive on the bonus section. High speeds like that are never encouraged. But I do remember that modded ZR1 having way more power than my aging C5Z.... He loomed large in my mirror all afternoon!!

I'm still breaking in a new clutch, so maybe we'll focus on maintaining a constant speed...

Regardless, it will be a good time!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

You joining us again this year?

Clearly we just enjoyed a leisurely drive on the bonus section. High speeds like that are never encouraged. But I do remember that modded ZR1 having way more power than my aging C5Z.... He loomed large in my mirror all afternoon!!

I'm still breaking in a new clutch, so maybe we'll focus on maintaining a constant speed...

Regardless, it will be a good time!
i might , if you allow me to in my new turbo caddy. just sold the vette.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

see i literally sent it out with a bang
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
calvin2093
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'12

This is really a fun ride for your Corvette. I have done this ride 2 years in a row, but will have to miss it this year. You want be disappointed, good ride, good food, and great bunch of people.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a tentative yes. If I can't get my C6 back from the shop, I'll bring by the newly acquired C5!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Smurf, bring the caddy, as long as you don't mind rolling in back!

Went out this weekend and tested the course. Some fresh pavement in a few places, some much bumpier pavement in others. We will have a good time.
The road is all clear for nice low chin spoilers!!

chris
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Smurf, bring the caddy, as long as you don't mind rolling in back!

Went out this weekend and tested the course. Some fresh pavement in a few places, some much bumpier pavement in others. We will have a good time.
The road is all clear for nice low chin spoilers!!

chris
me and the wife will come , but i think ill bring the VZ Autoworks car. 700hp supercharged so i can be sure to keep up.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Dang, wish I could welcome you folks to College Station and meet up, but I'm making an airport run to Austin that day. Maybe I can get back to Koppe Bridge before you're done there. Great burgers, but gravel parking lot!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wife and I may participate...depends on a few things and the weather. I will try to be more definitive as the week progresses.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Rgeezer
Dang, wish I could welcome you folks to College Station and meet up, but I'm making an airport run to Austin that day. Maybe I can get back to Koppe Bridge before you're done there. Great burgers, but gravel parking lot!
This is the other Koppe. No gravel at this location, just pavement!
Come catch us for the return leg if you can.

chris
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Old 07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
nitemaremarine
Heel & Toe

I'm in. The meet up is close to my house so I don't see any reason I shouldn't go

Get notified of new replies

To Houston - 7/12/14 - 3rd Annual Cruise to College Station

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM
EOD_Tech Infidel
Racer

I'm in!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
mjoacim
Racer

Gents,

I bought a new pair of 345/35/19 NT05R's for the rear and a complete set of cup tires for all 4 corners, but I just haven't had time to switch tires, so I'll be on my current and fairly worn 345/35/19 NT05R's. I should be ok for the trip in the corners, but I don't trust the DR's in the rear for the BONUS section. But, I'll be sure to plan better next year so I can use all 620 equestrians in the corners of the bonus section.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM
chrisj
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mjoacim
Gents,

I bought a new pair of 345/35/19 NT05R's for the rear and a complete set of cup tires for all 4 corners, but I just haven't had time to switch tires, so I'll be on my current and fairly worn 345/35/19 NT05R's. I should be ok for the trip in the corners, but I don't trust the DR's in the rear for the BONUS section. But, I'll be sure to plan better next year so I can use all 620 equestrians in the corners of the bonus section.
I'm breaking in a new clutch... You'll be fine. Stick with us!

chris

Quick Reply: Houston - 7/12/14 - 3rd Annual Cruise to College Station