Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Houstonians

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Houstonians

So I may be getting transferred to one of our Houston locations in the next couple of months. Looking like the Galleria Uptown area. I know absolutely nothing about Houston, like where to live and such. Will be renting to start, looking for something in the $650-$750 range. Just me, so simple place is what I'm looking for. Have two cars, one's a Vette of course.

It seems there's quite a few folks on here from that area, just looking for some leads, and tips.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Houston is cheap but not that cheap if you prefer not to be murdered.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I live in The Woodlands and work in down town Houston. The area that you are talking about has a good amount of traffic. If you want something near by maybe look at the Memorial area, something around zip code 77057. Also, I would recommend that your apply for an EZ-Tag, it will make your life a lot easier. https://www.hctra.org/

Good Luck!

Pete
Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Houston is cheap but not that cheap if you prefer not to be murdered.
Yeah, I'll pay a few extra bucks to avoid that.

Originally Posted by Gering
I live in The Woodlands and work in down town Houston. The area that you are talking about has a good amount of traffic. If you want something near by maybe look at the Memorial area, something around zip code 77057. Also, I would recommend that your apply for an EZ-Tag, it will make your life a lot easier. https://www.hctra.org/

Good Luck!

Pete
Thanks Pete, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I was in DFW several years ago, so I think I understand a little about the EZ Tag, it's kind of like an electronic monthly pass for the toll roads IIRC.

What might be a good source for finding, preferably a townhouse or duplex with a garage? The numbers I stated are based on my current rent here in KS, however this move involves a promotion into management with my company, which should involve a bigger budget as well. But if I have to start out in an apartment, so be it.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Yeah, I'll pay a few extra bucks to avoid that.

Thanks Pete, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I was in DFW several years ago, so I think I understand a little about the EZ Tag, it's kind of like an electronic monthly pass for the toll roads IIRC.

What might be a good source for finding, preferably a townhouse or duplex with a garage? The numbers I stated are based on my current rent here in KS, however this move involves a promotion into management with my company, which should involve a bigger budget as well. But if I have to start out in an apartment, so be it.
Hop on http://www.trulia.com/ or http://www.har.com/ or http://www.realtor.com/ Shoot me a PM when you get in to town and we can grab a steak.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Dsol32
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To live in that area and it be decent your looking around 1,200- 1,500.
I live just down the road about 10-15 min drive IN traffic and its right at $1,000 a month for everything. Its nice. Look in the westchase area. zip is 77042
Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

It's usually cheaper to buy here than to rent. Rent is fairly high since a lot of people come here for work. The galleria and uptown are very expensive areas. Most people commute to get the home they desire. I drive 45 mintes to an hour each way but it's worth it because I like the area I live in quite a bit.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Oh yeah, most apartments here do offer garages. When I first moved here I had a garage for one car and covered parking for the other. I'm sure you will be able to find something nice
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Black 02
It's usually cheaper to buy here than to rent. Rent is fairly high since a lot of people come here for work. The galleria and uptown are very expensive areas. Most people commute to get the home they desire. I drive 45 mintes to an hour each way but it's worth it because I like the area I live in quite a bit.
I don't feel I'm really in a position to buy this moment, wish I could. I don't mind a bit of a drive, heck I love it. The good part about my job is that I often travel outside of the normal rush hour times.

What I really don't want to do is unknowingly land in a crappy neighborhood. I also want to have an idea on some numbers (cost of living) when I hit the table negotiating the location adjustment.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Black 02
Oh yeah, most apartments here do offer garages. When I first moved here I had a garage for one car and covered parking for the other. I'm sure you will be able to find something nice
That would be very nice, as the one thing I will miss here is the full shop that rents out lift space. The only place I can do things like a clutch swap, and whatever I need to do.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Dsol32
Heel & Toe

If you don't mind a little drive then a great place to rent with better pricing and quality would be the Jersey village area or cypress. If you are looking at an online map look around hwy 290 north of beltway 8. Promenade apartments have nice garages as well.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dsol32
If you don't mind a little drive then a great place to rent with better pricing and quality would be the Jersey village area or cypress. If you are looking at an online map look around hwy 290 north of beltway 8. Promenade apartments have nice garages as well.
Thanks. When you have a Corvette, any Corvette, the best part of having a job IS the drive to and back.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Thanks. When you have a Corvette, any Corvette, the best part of having a job IS the drive to and back.

If you use the belt way and hardy toll road & you like to drive you can take a look at the Woodlands. I have lived here for about 5 years and it is VERY nice! http://www.boardwalkliving.com/The-W...apartments.asp http://www.thewoodlands.com/
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dsol32
If you are working off-hours this is a great idea. I love the JV area. 290 is no fun right now because of all the construction, but it's still decent as long as you aren't in rush hour traffic.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

You guys are a great help. When I first learned of this possibility, I simply had no idea where to start my research. Thanks.

Oh, and one other thing. I have learned that Texas has made emission testing up to counties. Is this accurate, and if so, where does Houston fit in this grand scheme? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Houston is in Harris county and any county that borders Harris is subject to it. I love driving my vette too but the traffic kills the pleasure along with the other drivers and roads.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Well, it's official, I will be relocating to Houston mid-late July. I've been checking out things like craigs list to get an idea of what's there. The store I will be working at is on the west side.

My perfect place would be a house, townhouse, duplex situation with a garage where I could wrench on my well driven C4. Preferrably a private owner rather than corporate mananged property. Looking at a budget of 700-800, maybe a little more for the right situation. However, just getting a place is paramount, of course. Just want a something decent in a decent neighborhood.

I have no kids, no wife, no pets, no parties, drinking or drugging, or otherwise annoying shennanigans in my life.

Get notified of new replies

To Houstonians

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM
LoneStarZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

there are lots of good neighborhoods out on the westside with a ton of good apartments with garages in Katy,Tx just west of west houston. Check out these zip codes 77024,77080,77043,77084,77493
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

I live in the Jersey Village area and have odd hours too, I go in at 10am and come home around 9:30 pm.Work in the Galleria area,takes about 20-25 minutes each way and is around 14 miles from work. Hwy 290 is under major construction right now and is closed down during the night sometimes,the beauty of living out there is I have around 5 different options of getting to work, Out in Katy,you basically have 2. Good luck,L8R ZFLASH
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with gering i live in the woodlands as well now.

$500-$750 in houston with a garage will get you killed and rims stolen

when i first moved here (6yrs ago) a 1 bed townhouse style with 1 car garage ran me $1250 a month (belagio beltway 8 & 290) now im in woodlands 3 bedroom (2 kids now) 1 car garage with 1 car port quite a bit more but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Houstonians