Austin, TX service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Austin, TX service?

My health has deteriorated enough that I can't work on my car much anymore. Old age is creeping in on me.

Anybody know of a shop in the Austin area that has a reasonable price for an antifreeze drain/flush/refill? Prefer to stay away from a Dealership and their upsell demands. Maybe a private shop instead of a chain?

$120.00 isn't reasonable to me for $25.00 worth of DexCool and an hours work. Even Jiffy Lube wants $118.00 + tax.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

53 people have read this and nobody knows of a place that doesn't gouge on labor charges?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:13 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hal,

Not sure anyone is going to get under +/- $120. Twenty five dollars of DexCool to you is fifty dollars to a shop.....$25 to buy....Add the cost to deliver, store and reclaim the old coolant......Add a technician or two at $12/Hr plus payroll burden tax match, accounting, uniforms, ObamaCare etc.... You've got $50 in labor....Turn on the neon sign....Add a little general liability insurance.....Maintain the landscaping on the building.... AND add a little thing called PROFIT on materials and labor.....$120 is deal!

Wolfman
Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wolfman64
Hal,

Not sure anyone is going to get under +/- $120. Twenty five dollars of DexCool to you is fifty dollars to a shop.....$25 to buy....Add the cost to deliver, store and reclaim the old coolant......Add a technician or two at $12/Hr plus payroll burden tax match, accounting, uniforms, ObamaCare etc.... You've got $50 in labor....Turn on the neon sign....Add a little general liability insurance.....Maintain the landscaping on the building.... AND add a little thing called PROFIT on materials and labor.....$120 is deal!

Wolfman
No, I understand Retail, it's how I made a Living for 30+ years. The $25 retail DexCool would cost a shop about $10 since they buy it bulk by the barrel. Reclaimation costs are low once the license and inspections are done, some shops make money selling the reclaimed fluids.

Had a shop I've used for years, 1 man radiator and exhaust close to my house but he disappeared last year so I'm looking for a place where I can pay cash, no receipt needed for work I don't have the strength, lift or tools for.

I've always done the majority of work on a car myself but I can't bend, stretch and lift like before and get light headed if I have to work on lying my back.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Try Aikman in Cedar Park...

http://aikmanperformance.com/
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
S/C 5.0
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auto Tek

They give far prices

Anybody know of a shop in the Austin area that has a reasonable price for an antifreeze drain/flush/refill? Prefer to stay away from a Dealership and their upsell demands. Maybe a private shop instead of a chain?

$120.00 isn't reasonable to me for $25.00 worth of DexCool and an hours work. Even Jiffy Lube wants $118.00 + tax.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got it done today.

After a couple of weeks of asking around and phone calls with no results I got a mailer Wednesday from Corvette World on N. Mopac for a radiator drain and flush $99.75. Called, made an appointment for 10AM today.

Good shop, Tech did the work while I watched. Lots of 'Vette knowledge from the Tech and from the owner of the shop. Definately an upgrade from any Chevy Dealers in Austin.

They had a C7 (and 6-7 C6's) on their sales floor, first time I've seen a C7 up close.

Will keep them in mind for any future service work.

Last edited by haljensen; 05-10-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Company name change
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by haljensen
No, I understand Retail, it's how I made a Living for 30+ years. The $25 retail DexCool would cost a shop about $10 since they buy it bulk by the barrel. Reclaimation costs are low once the license and inspections are done, some shops make money selling the reclaimed fluids.

Had a shop I've used for years, 1 man radiator and exhaust close to my house but he disappeared last year so I'm looking for a place where I can pay cash, no receipt needed for work I don't have the strength, lift or tools for.

I've always done the majority of work on a car myself but I can't bend, stretch and lift like before and get light headed if I have to work on lying my back.
Nice work....After spending a few hours looking around and delaying the project several weeks you saved $20.25!!!....Holy Cow!!!....Not sure that math works out for me... No wonder the bumper sticker says "Keep Austin Weird"!!!...LOL!!!....Let me know the next time you're in San Antonio...We'll go get $20.25 worth of margaritas on The Riverwalk!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice work....After spending a few hours looking around and delaying the project several weeks you saved $20.25!!!....Holy Cow!!!....Not sure that math works out for me... No wonder the bumper sticker says "Keep Austin Weird"!!!...LOL!!!....Let me know the next time you're in San Antonio...We'll go get $20.25 worth of margaritas on The Riverwalk!
Saving $20.00 on a $100.00 purchase is one reason I could pay cash for my C6 and retire comfortably.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure that he would speed that on 1 1/2 margaritas. Then you would have to tip.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Not sure that he would speed that on 1 1/2 margaritas. Then you would have to tip.
That's OK, I've been to the Riverwalk and wasn't impressed. The "Riverwalk" is more like a polluted creek with a bunch of drunks walking around.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That's OK, I've been to the Riverwalk and wasn't impressed. The "Riverwalk" is more like a polluted creek with a bunch of drunks walking around.
Kinda like 6th Street without water....."polluted....with a BUNCH of drunks walking around.".....!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Kinda like 6th Street without water....."polluted....with a BUNCH of drunks walking around.".....!
Lol. I'll have to agree with that one.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Saving $20.00 on a $100.00 purchase is one reason I could pay cash for my C6 and retire comfortably.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

don't let anyone give you crap on how you do things Hal. As you know I waited several months to get my asking price when selling my vette which was only about a grand more. If i had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

I used to goto san antonio raceway.... until austin built an F1 track
Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Wickpedia...."Hellmund also revealed that Texas billionaire Red McCombs was the project's largest investor."

.....With SAN ANTONIO'S Billionaire automobile dealer Red McCombs money!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wickpedia...."Hellmund also revealed that Texas billionaire Red McCombs was the project's largest investor."

.....With SAN ANTONIO'S Billionaire automobile dealer Red McCombs money!
wickpedia, is that like hickpedia? must be a san antonio thing...

I haven't raised hell in the forums in a while, glad you're still hanging in there Hal. Health issues suck, unfortunately I know that all too well... Had to sell my vette in case I needed some quick cash for medical expenses. Maybe I should move to san antonio? I dont know... last time I was there I bought a car LOL. nothing but freeways, car dealerships and hotels.

I lasted about a year w/o a vette, bought another 6 speed to hold me over except this time it only has 4 cylinders. Sorry i'm late to the party Hal but if you need any minor work done, detailing, etc. give me a buzz. I've been known to be very particular with my cars
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to hear from you , Mark. There's nobody left active from the "old days". No Saturday night meets with bunches of cars. The last time I remember seeing to you was @ the "Y" in Oak Hill meet and that was quite a while ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Austin, TX service?

Quick Reply: Austin, TX service?