Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

D/FW: Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default D/FW: Was it worth it?

I was going from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls this past Sunday morning in my C6 on Hwy 287. Just north of Decatur the speed limit is 75 mph. There was fairly heavy traffic on the 4 Lane divided highway. I was behind two cars and had a few behind me while in the left lane. Right Lane had slower traffic. As I came up on a slight hill my Val 1 gave the laser warning. I immediately looked at the HUD and I was going 80 mph. The only car parked in the median was a red Dodge Charger. I wondered where the laser came from. So, I just pressed on. A while later I was moving to the right lane and when checking the rear view mirror I was greeted with a very, very fast coming red Charger. It had red and blue flashing lights everywhere in the windshield! I thought to myself "am I going to get a ticket for going 5 mph over the limit? I pulled over and stopped. Out of the unmarked Charger came a Texas State Trooper. He came up to the passenger side and said "I noticed when you went by me that you don't have a front plate installed." I said yes sir that is right and handed him my identification. He went back to his car and returned and said he was issuing me a warning ticket and that I need to install the front plate. I said I understand. He was very polite and professional and then said to have a nice day.

But, as I drove on being thankful for only receiving a warning ticket I couldn't help think that why in the world would he drive as fast as he had to in heavy traffic to catch up with me. I would guess he had to go at least 120 mph, most likely higher, to catch up with me doing 80. All that danger (or maybe fun for him?) to only write a measly warning for no front plate? Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

First time I have heard of State Troopers using unmarked red Chargers!

Ok, long story, sorry.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Be thankful my friend... I recently received a citation for no FLP, speeding ( which I wasn't) and loud tires....?? It's a long story... This was a city police officer in unmarked Charger doing traffic stops which BTW is a NO GO if the car is not equipped w video/audio... I go to court next month...
You should count your blessings....

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I was going from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls this past Sunday morning in my C6 on Hwy 287. Just north of Decatur the speed limit is 75 mph. There was fairly heavy traffic on the 4 Lane divided highway. I was behind two cars and had a few behind me while in the left lane. Right Lane had slower traffic. As I came up on a slight hill my Val 1 gave the laser warning. I immediately looked at the HUD and I was going 80 mph. The only car parked in the median was a red Dodge Charger. I wondered where the laser came from. So, I just pressed on. A while later I was moving to the right lane and when checking the rear view mirror I was greeted with a very, very fast coming red Charger. It had red and blue flashing lights everywhere in the windshield! I thought to myself "am I going to get a ticket for going 5 mph over the limit? I pulled over and stopped. Out of the unmarked Charger came a Texas State Trooper. He came up to the passenger side and said "I noticed when you went by me that you don't have a front plate installed." I said yes sir that is right and handed him my identification. He went back to his car and returned and said he was issuing me a warning ticket and that I need to install the front plate. I said I understand. He was very polite and professional and then said to have a nice day.

But, as I drove on being thankful for only receiving a warning ticket I couldn't help think that why in the world would he drive as fast as he had to in heavy traffic to catch up with me. I would guess he had to go at least 120 mph, most likely higher, to catch up with me doing 80. All that danger (or maybe fun for him?) to only write a measly warning for no front plate? Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

First time I have heard of State Troopers using unmarked red Chargers!

Ok, long story, sorry.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ouchh.. I still haven't put mine on. Haven't been pulled over yet fortunately.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH1Z06,
What city were you tagged in?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by xdmikey
OH1Z06,
What city were you tagged in?
I believe he got tagged in Allen.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Be thankful my friend... I recently received a citation for no FLP, speeding ( which I wasn't) and loud tires....?? It's a long story... This was a city police officer in unmarked Charger doing traffic stops which BTW is a NO GO if the car is not equipped w video/audio... I go to court next month...
You should count your blessings....
Originally Posted by Navybluevette
I believe he got tagged in Allen.
Why would that not surprise me, I absolutely hate having to drive thru Allen
Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

An LEO friend told me that DPS is cracking down on no front plate violations,local cops not so much.I heard it could be a $200 fine
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by noel48
An LEO friend told me that DPS is cracking down on no front plate violations,local cops not so much.I heard it could be a $200 fine
If it was a $200 fine "once" a year, I would pay that happily, I hate the front front plate.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Saw an unmarked Charger on George Bush Tollway in Dallas/Plano a month or so back. Had to look really close at the rear window to see the light bar, car was completely stock outside including stock logos and alloy wheels (not cheep steal wheels like most unmarked cars).
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
Saw an unmarked Charger on George Bush Tollway in Dallas/Plano a month or so back. Had to look really close at the rear window to see the light bar, car was completely stock outside including stock logos and alloy wheels (not cheep steal wheels like most unmarked cars).
Yep, gotta be more careful now

My handle's Smokey Bear and I'm tail-grabbin yo *** right now!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 AM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

He really was just using the front plate as a reason to pull you over. Then he can run your license, check you out and see if you are up to no good. I was working in Mississippi for about 6 weeks a couples years back. I got pulled over a MS state trooper because he saw my car was from Texas and in Texas was supposed to have front plates. He had no authority to write me a ticket because MS does not require one and I was not in Texas. My passenger at the time was a retired Alabama state trooper (we both work as private investigators) and he told me its just a reason to pull someone over and check them out.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
If it was a $200 fine "once" a year, I would pay that happily, I hate the front front plate.
I agree.

After two warnings I complied. I had a Sugar Land officer make a U turn across two lanes on a divided street to "warn" me for the last time. I visited with DPS the first time. They put some teeth in the fine so it's worth their time to make the stop.

Get notified of new replies

To D/FW: Was it worth it?

Quick Reply: D/FW: Was it worth it?