Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Lubbock, Tx Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Default Lubbock, Tx Thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with the area? I was only in town for a day for an interview so I didn't get to explore the area much outside the Texas Tech campus.

Some things I see as a huge step up from Chicago is weather, traffic, population and real estate.

I saw there's a Cars and Coffee every first Saturday and a Drag strip near by. How is the car scene?

What do you guys like to do for fun in the area?

Are there trails to hike or Bike ride?

Thank you guys!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Blue 396
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been gone from the area for about 6 years so maybe someone from Lowbuck will chime in. If you are single the Tech Co-eds are the best looking in the state if not the eye candy is great. Strong support for the Red Raiders. Housing used to be very reasonable. Spring can be very windy, summers hot and dry but with evenings to die for. Winters can be frosty and slick. Sand and dust will play havoc with paint job Black cars are impossible to keep clean (I had a '86 Buick GN). Open highways are good surface and fast. For twisty turneys you need to visit the Hill Country More Mexican and Bar-B-Que than you can sample in a year.

Couple of Vette only clubs, one speciality car dealer out by South Plains Mall on the loop. Another drag strip in Amarillo and one between Odessa and Midland - both about 110 miles from Lubbock.

Home of Buddy Holly- lots of Country and Western - Not to far from Dallas and the big all Corvette Show in May at Speedway.

6-7 hours from great ski and snowboarding plus Vettes on the Rockies in August - there is usually a group from West Texas that drive up together.

All in All not a bad place to raise a family and have a career
Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blue 396
I've been gone from the area for about 6 years so maybe someone from Lowbuck will chime in. If you are single the Tech Co-eds are the best looking in the state if not the eye candy is great. Strong support for the Red Raiders. Housing used to be very reasonable. Spring can be very windy, summers hot and dry but with evenings to die for. Winters can be frosty and slick. Sand and dust will play havoc with paint job Black cars are impossible to keep clean (I had a '86 Buick GN). Open highways are good surface and fast. For twisty turneys you need to visit the Hill Country More Mexican and Bar-B-Que than you can sample in a year.

Couple of Vette only clubs, one speciality car dealer out by South Plains Mall on the loop. Another drag strip in Amarillo and one between Odessa and Midland - both about 110 miles from Lubbock.

Home of Buddy Holly- lots of Country and Western - Not to far from Dallas and the big all Corvette Show in May at Speedway.

6-7 hours from great ski and snowboarding plus Vettes on the Rockies in August - there is usually a group from West Texas that drive up together.

All in All not a bad place to raise a family and have a career
Wow thank thank you for the response! You You mentioned that housing used to be reasonable, what change did you see?

Also what what made you leave the area?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Blue 396
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Wow thank thank you for the response! You You mentioned that housing used to be reasonable, what change did you see? when I left market was very depressed - sold 2,100 sq ft 4 car garage on .75 ac for $170k - believe market is now seller market

Also what what made you leave the area?
job change took us to DFW area - retirement to Hill Country where most of family is located so no reason to go back to Panhandle and the snow

if I remember the corvette club was South Texas Corvettes - I never have been a big club person
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

job change took us to DFW area - retirement to Hill Country where most of family is located so no reason to go back to Panhandle and the snow

if I remember the corvette club was South Texas Corvettes - I never have been a big club person
Dang ok well hopefully I can get into something relativity quick once I find out if I am going there. The garage sounds awesome, any pics? I have always wanted to build a separate shop to have a my family's and my cars all together and have a play to throw parties.

I agree on the clubs, more or less I am looking for shows I can attend week to week or have some people to drive with.

Merry Christmas and thank you for all your help!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The car scene is fairly small since it's a 200k city.

The drag strip I think is closed now. The owner tried to get it repaved and it ruined the surface. AFAIK no one has fixed it. I ran out there 4-5 times and the elevation + bad air would cause you to run .25 - .5s slower than near sea level. I don't remember seeing 93 octane anywhere due to it.

The weather should be better than Chicago. It doesn't get too hot / humid in the summer either compared to other Texas cities. It's very nice during that time of the year. Since the area is flat there's no drains on the streets. This means you can get a foot of water during storms very easily.

There's tons of bike & hike trails around the area.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...If you are single the Tech Co-eds are the best looking in the state
Is this some kind of sick joke?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ysb02
The car scene is fairly small since it's a 200k city.

The drag strip I think is closed now. The owner tried to get it repaved and it ruined the surface. AFAIK no one has fixed it. I ran out there 4-5 times and the elevation + bad air would cause you to run .25 - .5s slower than near sea level. I don't remember seeing 93 octane anywhere due to it.

The weather should be better than Chicago. It doesn't get too hot / humid in the summer either compared to other Texas cities. It's very nice during that time of the year. Since the area is flat there's no drains on the streets. This means you can get a foot of water during storms very easily.

There's tons of bike & hike trails around the area.
Still sounds like a pretty good place, I guess for myself I am getting tired with being in a big city and want a change of pace.

Thank for your opinion.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 PM
PTBradford
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw you post. I'm in Lubbock and am the webmaster for the Caprock Corvette Club. I'm also a photographer and do a lot of work with Coffee and Cars.
I grew up in Midland, 115 miles South of here. I thought the friendliest people in the world were from Midland until I got to Lubbock 15 years ago. Lubbock is a fantastic place to raise a family. Having TTU here is great and is a tremendous source of pride for the community. I have season tickets and we tailgate as much as we can.

Housing prices are low and there are plenty of things to do to keep you busy for a few years. If you like to ski, Ski Apache, Angle Fire and Taos are an easy trip away. You will have to get used to people talking to you.

People in Lubbock talk, we don't care who you are. I raised two daughters here and still have one at Texas Tech. The main thing to do here is eat out and there are a million restaurants. Along with shopping, the hospitals have world class doctors and are the draw of all of the small towns around making Lubbock the "Hub City". Cotton and retail are the major source of the economy, but oil production is picking up here. The economy is extremely stable and only barely fluctuates.

I can't say enough good about Lubbock, but, after years and years, you will start to get tired of the wind blowing and the lack of trees and real landscaping. Still, it's a great place. PM me with any questions!
Todd
Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PTBradford
Just saw you post. I'm in Lubbock and am the webmaster for the Caprock Corvette Club. I'm also a photographer and do a lot of work with Coffee and Cars.
I grew up in Midland, 115 miles South of here. I thought the friendliest people in the world were from Midland until I got to Lubbock 15 years ago. Lubbock is a fantastic place to raise a family. Having TTU here is great and is a tremendous source of pride for the community. I have season tickets and we tailgate as much as we can.

Housing prices are low and there are plenty of things to do to keep you busy for a few years. If you like to ski, Ski Apache, Angle Fire and Taos are an easy trip away. You will have to get used to people talking to you.

People in Lubbock talk, we don't care who you are. I raised two daughters here and still have one at Texas Tech. The main thing to do here is eat out and there are a million restaurants. Along with shopping, the hospitals have world class doctors and are the draw of all of the small towns around making Lubbock the "Hub City". Cotton and retail are the major source of the economy, but oil production is picking up here. The economy is extremely stable and only barely fluctuates.

I can't say enough good about Lubbock, but, after years and years, you will start to get tired of the wind blowing and the lack of trees and real landscaping. Still, it's a great place. PM me with any questions!
Todd
Thats awesome, I got a very good feeling about the area when I visited. I saw the facebook group for C&C and a bunch of nice cars make it out each month.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
PTBradford
Drifting

A few guys hang out here too http://www.racelubbock.com/
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM
PTBradford
Drifting

Pics from C&C. I haven't been in a while.

Video

Pics

http://www.prestontoddbradford.com/m...ars/cnc0512_h/

http://www.prestontoddbradford.com/m...cnc_June_12_f/

http://www.prestontoddbradford.com/m...cnc_july_12_f/

http://www.prestontoddbradford.com/m...cnc_sept_12_f/
Old 12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Sweet video, that's awesome they do this every month
Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.texas-speed.com/ is in town also. (biggest ls shop)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ysb02
http://www.texas-speed.com/ is in town also. (biggest ls shop)
That's awesome, going to come in handy for parts and specialty supplies.

Get notified of new replies

To Lubbock, Tx Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Lubbock, Tx Thoughts?