Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default HPDE day in Texas

[/URL]

Registration for this event is now open!
Corvette Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway
On behalf of The National Corvette Museum
Saturday November 9, 2013

It’s confirmed! Roc Linkov, NCM HPDE head instructor and Motorsports Park Manager will be attending November event once again and he is bringing Laura Klauser, a GM Engineer and HPDE instructor. Laura will be the instructor for the Powder Puff class, handling classroom instruction on the finer points of safely handling your Corvette during a spirited drive. Sorry Guy’s, the Powder Puff is for Ladies only!

The Lone Star Corvette Club & the NCM would like to invite you and your friends to the Fall Corvette HPDE Track day at Eagles Canyon Raceway, a 2.5 mile, 11 turn road course about 1 hour north of Fort Worth. All driving groups will be “Drive at your own save pace” not “Drive it Like ya Stole’ it!” This is not a competitive event, but an opportunity to safely exercise your right foot on a closed course circuit with an instructor in the right seat. Classroom instruction will be given in-between the 4, 20 Minute sessions on the track. Drivers will be divided up into run groups based on previous track experience and spend time with an instructor in the right seat until SOLO approved.

Ladies Needed; don’t be timid girls, a special run group of “Ladies Only” has been provide just for you so you can drive at your own speed without any boys on the track!. The ladies group will receive the same amount of track and classroom time as the boys.

LG Motorsports will be furnishing lunch and track support as in past events. LG’s mechanics will be on had just in case you need something looked at, adjusted or fixed before your ride home along with free consultation on how to make your ride handle better, stop shorter or run like a skulled cat!

Date; November 9 (Open to Members, Friends & Kin Folk alike).
Registration Link; https://lscc.clubexpress.com/content...item_id=274573
Cost; $170 per driver (you do not have to drive a Corvette)*.
Where; http://eaglescanyon.com/httpdocs/2008/schedule.php, just outside of Slidell.
More Info; email CorvetteTrackDays@gmail.com or call Mike 817.888.5458

*A portion of your entry fee ($20) will go directly to the NCM Track Fund for the building of Motorsports Park in Bowling Green KY.

Last edited by hisvett; 08-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
FireGS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a cut off date for reg?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a blast! Want to hear more about this...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FireGS
is there a cut off date for reg?
Cut off day will be when I run out of instructors to go around.....the last 30 days before the event might be tight
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by beepster
Sounds like a blast! Want to hear more about this...
What would you like to know? This event is No. 3, it's a safe way to get out on a closed course and learn the proper way to to do a little canyon carving.

75% of the drivers will be out for their first time and most of the rest will have one or two events under their belt......that should give you an idea how I have geared the event.

Feel free to ping me with a PM or email if you have more questions.
CorvetteTrackDays@Gmail.com
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

I believe I met you at the Lonestar road course event, let me know if you need another instructor.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I believe I met you at the Lonestar road course event, let me know if you need another instructor.
Email sent, Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

TTT
Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Mike: Wife and I are in...I just need to register. She will be running her GS (unless she wins that C7 we bought a raffle ticket for! ) and I'll be running the Z06. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Mike: Wife and I are in...I just need to register. She will be running her GS (unless she wins that C7 we bought a raffle ticket for! ) and I'll be running the Z06. Looking forward to it!
Cool sign up through the club web page or drop me a line for a registration form at CorvetteTrackDays@gmail.com

We've missed you guys Wednesday nights at Rose's
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Did I read somewhere a helmet is required?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by beepster
Did I read somewhere a helmet is required?
YES; FYI, any HPDE track day will require helmets for everyone on the track other that perhaps parade laps.

And to answer the next question; NO helmets will be available for rent at this event.

Thanks for the question
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a restriction on the age of the car we could drive?

Can you use a motorcycle helmet?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
Is there a restriction on the age of the car we could drive?

Can you use a motorcycle helmet?
Simple answer to both questions; NO.

The age of the car isn't as important as the condition....Tires, Brakes, and everything else that is needed to stop and turn the car. If your car can pass this safety check sheet, your good; http://eaglescanyon.com/httpdocs/doc...Inspection.pdf

The biggest thing to remember here is; "You are the person behind the wheel" and nobody knows your car better than you, and if you really don't know you car, then don't push it!! We stress the 7/10s rule....that is, you never push your car beyond 70% of your ability (or the cars ability if it's an older, well used ride). Anyone that has been participating in HPDE events will tell you the only time wheels get dropped off the pavement or you totally loose it is when you have been pushing it at or close to the limit....so play safe & save your ride.

As far as MC helmets; this is a track rule and I have to play by rules. Just a FYI on why; MC helmets do not use flame retardant materials because if you were to crash on a bike and it catches fire, you will have most likely already left the seen.

Thanks for the questions,

Last edited by hisvett; 08-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Regarding helmets: most tracks around here adhere to the following regarding helmets, not to contradict you Mike as you may have other rules for this event, but to point out what they say (this is from the ECR website as well as the tech sheet link you posted: http://eaglescanyon.com/httpdocs/2008/ecrtd.php):

"You will need a Snell 2000 or 2005 rated M or SA helmet in good condition..."

For folks needing an SA helmet I've had good luck at Smiley's Racing, they have several locations in the DFW area, I've found it is always better to try on helmets rather than order it online and guess.

http://www.smileysracing.com
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Regarding helmets: most tracks around here adhere to the following regarding helmets, not to contradict you Mike as you may have other rules for this event, but to point out what they say (this is from the ECR website as well as the tech sheet link you posted: http://eaglescanyon.com/httpdocs/2008/ecrtd.php):

"You will need a Snell 2000 or 2005 rated M or SA helmet in good condition..."

For folks needing an SA helmet I've had good luck at Smiley's Racing, they have several locations in the DFW area, I've found it is always better to try on helmets rather than order it online and guess.

http://www.smileysracing.com
My bad Capt B, I guess I still have my head wrapped around comp rules.....I keep forgetting I retired from that stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE day in Texas

Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Mike - you're not out of retirement yet, I won't let ya! I plan on picking your brains for all their worth...wife green-lighted a GTA car ...I'm not 100% that I want to go that route but I'm leaning heavily that way...and I happen to know somebody that has a tad of experience with them...
Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Mike - you're not out of retirement yet, I won't let ya! I plan on picking your brains for all their worth...wife green-lighted a GTA car ...I'm not 100% that I want to go that route but I'm leaning heavily that way...and I happen to know somebody that has a tad of experience with them...
Anytime; I still have all my internet bookmarks to keep one on the track and can introduce you to friends that are still running them.

You can't afford to make a Corvette run as fast as a well sorted GTA but then you kinda need the time to play with it to make it worth while owning......I do miss those instant R's!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default I'm confused.

I'd love to attend, but the helmet rule is confusing. This is from their website:

Members driving purpose built race/track cars (not street legal) will be required to wear full racing equipment including year 2000 certified (Snell, SA, FIA, etc.) or newer, Nomex driving suit, Nomex undergarments (shirt, balaclava, pants and socks), Nomex or leather driving shoes and gloves. Race/track cars will also be required to have an onboard fire extinguisher and certified roll cage/bar.
Members riding street or race motorcycles will be required to wear full leathers, riding boots, gloves, and year 2000 certified (M, Snell, SA, FIA, etc.) or newer helmet.
Members driving karts will be required to wear a karting or fire suit, closed leather shoes and gloves, and year 2000 certified (M, Snell, SA, FIA, etc.) or newer helmet.

"...............

There is no mention of street legal cars. I don't want to. Get a $400 helmet when a $50 off fleabay would do.

Quick Reply: HPDE day in Texas