Moving to Houston - advise please

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Moving to Houston - advise please

A friend just landed a .gov job (GS-9) around the George W. Bush airport and will be relocating from central Ohio.

Any & all info to assist him will be greatly appreciated.

Where to live, or better yet, what areas does he not want to move to? No kids, just he and (recently passed state boards) RN wife.

Last edited by Allan; 04-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I certainly wouldn't live anywhere around the airport. Try looking into The Woodlands. It's a quick drive to the airport down the Hardy Toll Road.

But considering the size of the Houston metropolitan area (it's the fourth largest city in the US by population and spread out considerably more than the others), it's not easy to pinpoint a place to live without knowing what you're after and what your budget is. House? Apartment? Condo? Garage? Reliable transportation? How far are you willing to commute? Etc., etc. Might be best to work through a professional locator.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

congrats on the job and move, I'm not really familiar with the area but his wife might want to contact my wife on nursing positions as she might be able to help her with that. She's a BSN at UTMB and loves it out there.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woodlands or Humble or Atascocita or Kingwood if he wants a regular suburban place to live (and I hope he doesn't have pine allergies). If he wants to live in the sticks there are places up around Conroe and New Caney, or out on the east side of Lake Houston (which isn't a bad choice if he likes fishing). It'd be a longer commute, but not too terrible. Or if he wants to live in the city, he'd be going against most rush hour traffic when he goes to and from the airport.

Most nursing jobs are in the Med Center which is in the middle of town and is more of a PITA to get to during normal working hours, but there are plenty of hospitals and stuff out in the suburbs too.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Lothar34
Woodlands or Humble or Atascocita or Kingwood if he wants a regular suburban place to live (and I hope he doesn't have pine allergies). If he wants to live in the sticks there are places up around Conroe and New Caney, or out on the east side of Lake Houston (which isn't a bad choice if he likes fishing). It'd be a longer commute, but not too terrible. Or if he wants to live in the city, he'd be going against most rush hour traffic when he goes to and from the airport.

Most nursing jobs are in the Med Center which is in the middle of town and is more of a PITA to get to during normal working hours, but there are plenty of hospitals and stuff out in the suburbs too.
nursing jobs in the Med Center require a BSN
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I certainly wouldn't live anywhere around the airport. Try looking into The Woodlands. It's a quick drive to the airport down the Hardy Toll Road.

But considering the size of the Houston metropolitan area (it's the fourth largest city in the US by population and spread out considerably more than the others), it's not easy to pinpoint a place to live without knowing what you're after and what your budget is. House? Apartment? Condo? Garage? Reliable transportation? How far are you willing to commute? Etc., etc. Might be best to work through a professional locator.

I moved to this location about 4 years ago and love it - http://www.boardwalkliving.com/The-W...apartments.asp
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering

I moved to this location about 4 years ago and love it - http://www.boardwalkliving.com/The-W...apartments.asp
I have friends in those apartments. I love that location. Woodlands Mall is still my favorite mall in the Houston area. Market Street is a nice hangout, too.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EViL427
I have friends in those apartments. I love that location. Woodlands Mall is still my favorite mall in the Houston area. Market Street is a nice hangout, too.

I always see some nice cars there, I saw a Lamborghini Reventon parked outside CRU about 8 months ago.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
butchvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Let me know if the the RN want to work home health, I will train....
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you'll love the woodlands.
Or consider Montgomery,TX on Lake Conroe. NOT CONROE the city, I'm talking about Lake Conroe with the nice water front homes if that is something you you like.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Nater02
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Woodlands is always a good spot but may be hard to find a house and could pay a premium to live there. I have a buddy living in The Commons in Huffman. Love it out there. Check it out if you don't mind a little extra driving and want outdoor space to live in.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The woodlands area is great. lots of trendy stuff, restaurants, parks, hiking/biking areas everywhere. Growing hospitals for sure.
I found the taxes way to high for upcoming retirement. I found a real nice subdivision just outside of the woodlands, called white oak estates, almost 1/2 the taxes.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
The woodlands area is great. lots of trendy stuff, restaurants, parks, hiking/biking areas everywhere. Growing hospitals for sure.
I found the taxes way to high for upcoming retirement. I found a real nice subdivision just outside of the woodlands, called white oak estates, almost 1/2 the taxes.
Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Houston - advise please

Quick Reply: Moving to Houston - advise please