Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

moving to OKC, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default moving to OKC, need some advice

I just landed a very sweet job at Devon Energy in downtownOKC. Does anyone have any idea on good apartments? Would like to live downtown somewhere but really want a garage for the z06. Thinking like an urban garage loft with a garage if that helps at all. Also how are the roads around there? Gonna get a 2nd car to avoid driving the Z everywhere. Thanks for any info. Willing to go in the $1300-$1600 range for an apt
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to OKC. I too just relocated up here from Dallas. The roads are pretty much like Dallas roads....not the greatest. Although, there are some that are decent, but nothing like what I'm used to in AZ. It's not too bad in the 07, but can be bone-jarring if I drive the 94.

As far as apartments go, I know there are some like you're looking for downtown but not sure on availability or prices. I also seem to remember some construction by them so the roads are worse. I got a huge 1br with attached garage about 15-20 min north of town for $1000. You could rent a nice house with a 2-car garage a little outside of town in your price range with no problem.

If you come up looking around some weekend, let us know. Meet-ups are always good and give a good excuse to drive the Vette.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

There are some very nice apartments near the Devin Tower. It is just like anyplace else, where do you want to be located and how much do you want to spend. I would use the INTERNET for research and get the lay of the land before you get here. I'm sure all of the KC members here would be available to help. I'm located in Edmond which is a Northern suburb on OKC. but as an OKC native I'm pretty savvy on the housing market around here.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

To the OP, cmonkey713 is right on the money. I live in S. Edmond, (10-12 miles N of downtown OKC) in an addition with 10 yr old homes that are about 2000-2300 sf, most with 3 car garages. They rent them here for about $1500 a month. OKC is one of the best, inexpensive real estate markets in the country. Welcome to Okie-land. New Devon tower is the 4th tallest object west of the Mississippi river. Downtown OKC has made a really cool comeback and the Thunder are the icing on the cake. Hope you enjoy it here....
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
05Z51C6
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome. I live in Edmond also. You can find some nice houses (3/2/2) for your price range.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Norman is not bad either.

Last edited by jaygood; 03-24-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out The Hill , and Deep Deuce. The Best in urban living you can get

Deep Deuce is in Bricktown our entertainment district. a few blocks from Devon Tower.

Welcome to OKC
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Thanks everyone. I am super excited about this move. I come up next weekend for a house-hunting trip. I will look into the places you guys spoke of. I hate to get in a house right now, because with my relocation package I will absolutely be buying a house within my 1 year anniversary (basically would be an idiot not to use this program). I just want to get to know the area before I commit to a large purchase such as a house.

I also heard there is no state-inspection in Oklahoma. Can anyone confirm this? Because that is GREAT news. I am always having problems getting my z06 inspected with the longtubes and offroad mid pipes.

Also I heard the sales tax in Oklahoma is 3% for purchasing a vehicle. Is that true too? Because in Texas it is 8.25%

Can't wait to get out at some car events once I move up there and get to know everyone
Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Originally Posted by 03BLUDEVLz06
Thanks everyone. I am super excited about this move. I come up next weekend for a house-hunting trip. I will look into the places you guys spoke of. I hate to get in a house right now, because with my relocation package I will absolutely be buying a house within my 1 year anniversary (basically would be an idiot not to use this program). I just want to get to know the area before I commit to a large purchase such as a house.

I also heard there is no state-inspection in Oklahoma. Can anyone confirm this? Because that is GREAT news. I am always having problems getting my z06 inspected with the longtubes and offroad mid pipes.

Also I heard the sales tax in Oklahoma is 3% for purchasing a vehicle. Is that true too? Because in Texas it is 8.25%

Can't wait to get out at some car events once I move up there and get to know everyone
NO state inspection
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Originally Posted by jaygood
NO state inspection
Thank sweet baby-jesus. That's awesome. And that means with one of my first paychecks, the heads/cam/intake I have been wanting to do will be ordered. Couldn't do that because of the state inspection in Texas.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

As stated, state inspections were done away with many years ago. It was a losing proposition for everyone, so it was just discontinued. As for tax purchasing a vehicle... there is no sales tax at all. However, when you buy your car tag (you have 30 days to do so), you have to pay a one time excise tax (which is the 3% you spoke of). After that each year, the value of the car goes down a little and you pay less each year for you tag renewal. The first year is the biggie, the rest are pretty standard. All in all, a pretty fair way to do it. But in fairness, you pay the tax up front in Texas and then your tags there afterwards are cheaper than they are here.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
To the OP, cmonkey713 is right on the money. I live in S. Edmond, (10-12 miles N of downtown OKC) in an addition with 10 yr old homes that are about 2000-2300 sf, most with 3 car garages. They rent them here for about $1500 a month. OKC is one of the best, inexpensive real estate markets in the country. Welcome to Okie-land. New Devon tower is the 4th tallest object west of the Mississippi river. Downtown OKC has made a really cool comeback and the Thunder are the icing on the cake. Hope you enjoy it here....
I agree with Cactus Cat's comments.

I also live in south Edmond. Edmond is a great town to live in. I have lived most of the last 41 years in Edmond. Move here when I was 11.

To the OP, also, there is not a requirement for a license plate either.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

You'll have to get used to paying state income tax in OK. That one took me by surprise when we move from TX.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Originally Posted by bigblock427
I agree with Cactus Cat's comments.

I also live in south Edmond. Edmond is a great town to live in. I have lived most of the last 41 years in Edmond. Move here when I was 11.

To the OP, also, there is not a requirement for a license plate either.
I have heard to definitely look at Edmond when I am ready to purchase a house in about 6 months.

And what exactly do you mean by "not a requirement for a license plate"? Are you talking about the license plate on the front of the car? Because Texas is like that now too
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Originally Posted by C4fan
You'll have to get used to paying state income tax in OK. That one took me by surprise when we move from TX.
Yeah that will def take some getting used to. I was born/raised in Dallas so I am not used to that at all.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

moving to OKC, need some advice
Best advice?

Get a house with a basement or storm room.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM
03BLUDEVLz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Best advice?

Get a house with a basement or storm room.
Lol...you are not the first person to advise that. But I'll need a big enough storm basement to fit the z06 in

Get notified of new replies

To moving to OKC, need some advice

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Lol...you are not the first person to advise that. But I'll need a big enough storm basement to fit the z06 in
That's simple then. Just find a house with an underground garage and you'll be set.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I have heard to definitely look at Edmond when I am ready to purchase a house in about 6 months.

And what exactly do you mean by "not a requirement for a license plate"? Are you talking about the license plate on the front of the car? Because Texas is like that now too
If you look in Edmond, shoot me a PM. I know Edmond well and would be happy to help you out any way I can.

Yes, I was talking about front license plates. Front license plates are not required in Oklahoma. It is not a matter of whether or not the front plate requirement is enforced. Because they are not required.

Good luck and welcome to Oklahoma.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Let me know if I can help finding anything.

Quick Reply: moving to OKC, need some advice