Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 AM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five more days until I get back. Had my buddy in San Antonio go check the C5 Z06 wheels for sale and they were sold, too good a price to last.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM
hxrly
Racer

Forget the Nittos, just found my next tires: BFG Rival. Comparable to RS3s and Z2s but in Corvette sizes and available at the end of next month.

A few reviews:

One Hot Lap

365racing.com

Tirerack
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

How much?

I just picked up a pair of KDW's about 90% for $240 a pair. I'm at Hood visiting my sister right now.

Also picked up a set of Borla straight pipes. Going to install everything this weekend.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 AM
hxrly
Racer

The pre-order price at Tirerack is $301 per tire for 295/35R18s.

Those Borla straight pipes are going to be loud! I get back on Thursday evening and have yet to ask 1SG is he wants to give me Friday off for getting distinguished honor grad. If he does, I'll be installing the headers Friday and hopefully going to ASR on Saturday for their superlap day.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hxrly
The pre-order price at Tirerack is $301 per tire for 295/35R18s.

Those Borla straight pipes are going to be loud! I get back on Thursday evening and have yet to ask 1SG is he wants to give me Friday off for getting distinguished honor grad. If he does, I'll be installing the headers Friday and hopefully going to ASR on Saturday for their superlap day.
That's a pretty good price.

Nah, don't ask him, just tell 1SG you're taking off.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
hxrly
Racer

Guys, ASR on Saturday is only going to be $60 for the whole day. Sunny day with with 30s in the morning and a high of 70ºF. I'll be there with headers or not.

Here's the facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/events/474388832615346/

And here's a discount if this is your first time: http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/fil...ertificate.pdf

Last edited by hxrly; 03-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Distinguished Graduate? Put in for your 4-day pass ASAP.

Thanks for the links. Who else is down for some ASR??

UPDATED: 100+ miles away? I thought this place was like, right across the State line. Isn't there anything closer, like in Juarez?

What are the safety requirements? I am over 500 hp, street tires, no roll cage, no helmet. Can I wear my ACH kevlar and reflective PT belt? hahaha

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-19-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 PM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
UPDATED: 100+ miles away? I thought this place was like, right across the State line. Isn't there anything closer, like in Juarez?

What are the safety requirements? I am over 500 hp, street tires, no roll cage, no helmet. Can I wear my ACH kevlar and reflective PT belt? hahaha
IOTV with no plates and ACH with NAPE pad. LOL.

It's 90 miles from Ft. Bliss, but for the $40 you will pay (with the discount) it is a bargain. I think you get classed depending on the power/weight and maybe tires. You are required to bring a helmet but I'm sure they can hook you up with a loaner. I'm really excited about going out again; the weather seems like it's going to be perfect like the last time I went.

I'm planning to leave the house at 0700. That gives me an hour and some odd minutes of travel, and enough time to pay and get the safety brief. The track goes hot at 0900. Let me know if you want to link up and roll together.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by hxrly
IOTV with no plates and ACH with NAPE pad. LOL.

It's 90 miles from Ft. Bliss, but for the $40 you will pay (with the discount) it is a bargain. I think you get classed depending on the power/weight and maybe tires. You are required to bring a helmet but I'm sure they can hook you up with a loaner. I'm really excited about going out again; the weather seems like it's going to be perfect like the last time I went.

I'm planning to leave the house at 0700. That gives me an hour and some odd minutes of travel, and enough time to pay and get the safety brief. The track goes hot at 0900. Let me know if you want to link up and roll together.
Absolutely. But, IOTV adds weight and will put me in a different weight class. Heck, I am rolling fat at 3584 race weight. Street tires will help the category. How do they do power/weight testing? Is it an honesty policy or they actually weight your car with driver in it? Otherwise, I am rolling stock with cutouts. Hahahaha.

Is there any place you can host this besides the Corvette Forum?

What is the link up point? Suggest somewhere right off I-10. The SHELL / DAIRY QUEEN at the base of Trans Mountain may be good. Just an idea....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
hxrly
Racer

Don't really know how they do the testing. I didn't see any scales so it's most likely whatever you declare.

We could create a Facebook page like we did with the local Miata guys. We started with 4 guys and now it has 37 members.

I know exactly the Shell you're talking about, I can definitely meet you there. My cell is 489 8482 with an 808 area code. Let me know.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
hxrly
Racer

Here's a Facebook group I created for us if you guys want to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231748356970038/

The advantage of being in this forum is that a lot of times people come here looking for a local active thread to see what's going on in the area. It also notifies me with an e-mail which I also get on my phone.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM
hxrly
Racer

Talked to a couple other guys. We will have an E92 M3 and Nissan GTR joining on the cruise there Saturday. I told them to meet at the Shell gas station as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Ok, Shell it is. What is the preferred link-up time (with a 15 minute overlap)?
Example: Link up at 0630, departure 0645.

Also, I wrote to ASR and Roger Heemsbergen wrote me back. Standard safety rules.

18 Years or Older with Driver License
Windows must be rolled UP during laps
Helmet (DOT Approved), SNELL 2005 Preferred (Whatever that means)
Pants
Long Sleeve shirts
I suppose no open-toe shoes. (He did not specifiy)

Just curious as, do you change out oil to 10W-40 (thicker viscosity) for racing or you stay with 5W-30?

Do you do any coolant flushes before racing to ensure coolest temps?

Anything else to consider? I don't track often and the most I have done was about 20 1/4 mile passes.

With 100 miles of open highway and a GT-R and E92 M3 in line, we could possiblly get there in 30 minutes.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
hxrly
Racer

I say meet at Shell at 0630 - 0645 and roll out at 0700. From that Shell to the track is only 69 miles so we can get there in well under 1 hour.

I am sticking with Mobil1 5W-30 since the last oil analysis came back with good results. I did notice some oil consumption so I'll have an extra qt handy. Going 10W-40 would be good for the track, but maybe not for cold starts on a daily.

I flushed the radiator recently so no concerns there, but if you haven't done it in a while before the race would be a good time. There are a few checklists around the web, but basically do a thorough check on your car, fresh fluids topped off, double check torque for wheel lugs, etc. I take everything out the car to include carpets and just keep my paperwork, helmet, GoPro and cooler with lunch and drinks. There's a lot other stuff that you could bring, such as tools, spare parts, etc. I plan to swap my belts and get a new k&n air filter with a modified airbox (poor man's intake) before I go out there.

That's odd about having the windows up, normally it's windows down so you can signal the faster car behind you to pass. We will hear it again from him when he does the driver's meeting.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys are just too Army.

Time is in military time, track goes "hot" just like the range.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
t100driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I would go but have to work that day
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by Edmond
You guys are just too Army.
Haha. It's bad enough that I was getting briefed for a go-kart tournament and I kept saying hoah!

Originally Posted by t100driver
Dang, I would go but have to work that day
Bummer. I got the green light to get Friday off so I'll be installing those headers bright and early. Hoping everything goes smooth so I can take it out Saturday.

Get notified of new replies

To El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Some info on Mobil-1 I dug up and posted as a separate thread. I literally was standing in Walmart trying to make a decision on what oil to get. Pacing back and forth, debating....I should have used an Army Decision Matrix Template!!!

After an hour of reading threads on the forum, I wound up getting Mobil-1 5w30, which is what I always use, until I made a "final" decision. And that decision, I believe, will be Mobil-1 0w40 based on what I found and read below.....

Also got 4-gallons of new Dex-Cool 50/50 for a flush and fill (requires 12.6 quarts) but the GMC Dealership on Montana has a special tomorrow on radiator Flush and Fill (to include radiator fluid) for just $99.95!! Hell, the 4-gallons I paid for were $13.26 each. They are going back for a full refund pronto.

The Oil Change (with your own fluids and oil filter) will be a $9.95 labor and disposal charge. Not too bad when they can bang that out while flushing the radiator fluid.

Going to try and squeeze in a Brake Flush and Clutch Bleed too!! Might as well. They both have Speed Bleeders. That reminds me....all that thinking, I forgot to get DOT-4 Brake Fluid!!! Arghhhh. See what happens when you don't plan on tracking the car ever again?

Have some Carbotech XP-10s and XP-8s at home in AZ. Does me no good here. Looked into a new rotor set up as well, but not enough time to meet shipping requirements. Oh well. I will just use my feet. If it worked for Freddy Flintsone, it can work for me at ASR.

An EXCELLENT Mobil-1 Nominal Zinc Level PPM Visual Reference, straight from MOBIL-1 Racing.

http://www.mobil1racing.com/Oils.aspx

Is Mobil -1 0w40 good for street and track use?

"Mobil 1™ 0W-40
An exceptionally wide viscosity grade oil suitable for use at home or on the track, delivering an excellent balance of friction reduction and high-temperature performance."

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx

What about using Mobil-1 15w50 instead?

"Mobil 1™ 15W-50
Recommended for a wide range of engine applications, our higher-viscosity grade oil is engineered to deliver increased bearing protection when running at higher oil temperatures."

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._1_15W-50.aspx

Link to Mobil-1 Oils "At a Glance" Product List

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...s/Mobil_1.aspx

FAQs to Mobil-1 Oil Products

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Oils_FAQs.aspx

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-21-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM
hxrly
Racer

Good stuff! You're welcome to stop by the house on Friday for all your maintenance needs, I have a spare set of jack stands that you can use and worse case scenario I have Harbor Freight around the corner.

The reason I use M1 5W-30 is because I get the case of 6 qt for $26 at Costco; I must have like 6 cases in the garage. I used M1 0W-40 on my modified turbo VWs and it held up great with fuel dilution problem in those cars. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a lot of people racing the LS7 use it.

I have the Motive bleeder with the adaptor for our cars, so any of you guys are welcome to stop by to flush brakes. I have speed bleeders on the Miata and they work fantastic, but I read that after a few uses the thread sealant must be reapplied, so keep that in mind.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough DOT4 for two cars, but there has to be a local speed shop that carries the quality brands. I want to get a remote bleeder for the clutch, but until then I keep emptying and refilling the reservoir to keep that fluid clean.

Time for bed, got to wake up in 4 hours and graduate in 6.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

If you are reading this tonight, you are wrong....get some sleep and congrats on your graduating top of the class.

Unfortunately, I work on Friday, but I am off recovering from spinal injections on Thursday. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread