Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Corvette Corral parking + parade laps at Grand Am of the Americas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timsam
Any one know if we will get a solid idea if/when we get parade laps?
I never got a response from AJ about it.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell_in_Texas
Awesome!! Are you in the corvette corral? Where are you sitting? We'll be there with our Z06. We're looking forward to seeing you again.
Suppose to be...most of the guys who ordered tickets and passes didnt quite get what they ordered, but most of them had moved one or the other!!!

My seat is supposed to be in the Club Level Grand Stands just down from the finish line...havent got my fed ex packet yet...; but I plan to walk the enter circuit during the day and visit with everyone along the way.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by timsam
I have Lot P at will call, so I might park in F on Friday, and then on P on Saturday.

Any one know if we will get a solid idea if/when we get parade laps?
They posted a page to their face book web site that still says Saturday at 9 AM. Having done parade laps at TMS a bunch a times we have had to be in place and ready for 3 hours before the event. I would think we should be there at least by 8 AM and be ready to stage! Has anyone gotten details on where to be or when?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

AJ emailed me back and said parade laps are on Sunday but he didn't say what time.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

SUNDAY? There is no racing scheduled for Sunday so why would anyone waste their time and money to stay another day? I truely hope this is not the case.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979
SUNDAY? There is no racing scheduled for Sunday so why would anyone waste their time and money to stay another day? I truely hope this is not the case.
I guess just for a chance to drive on the track? It is kinda dumb though. Maybe the corrals and parade laps were just thrown in as an afterthought.

From AJ:
Parade lap will happen on Sunday.

Most everyone participating in the Corral will do it then due to time restrictions we have during the race on Saturday.

We will meet at Circuit at 9:30am - laps will start at 10am
Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

CI 3-4-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Lothar34
I guess just for a chance to drive on the track? It is kinda dumb though. Maybe the corrals and parade laps were just thrown in as an afterthought.

From AJ:
Well, that's a shame. I certainly would like to drive on the track. However, the parade laps I have done in the past certainly do not justify out of towners staying an extra day to do two policed laps at ~50 mph. I did it many times at the Houston Grand Prix, and it was fun. However, I can pay to do a HPDE event for an entire day for the cost of me having to stay an extra night. Hopefully something changes.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

CI 3-4-8 Veteran

Now they want to charge $100 to do 1 parade lap on race day. That essentially doubles my cost of attending the race. Apparently, 14 folks get to do it for free. Or, you can spend another night in Austin on Saturday to run 1 free parade lap on Sunday morning, when no one else is at the track; and have spent more money to stay another night.

Hopefully this is better planned next year. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Corral, but won't be shelling out the dough for the lap.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

I'm staying with a friend and was going to be in town Sunday morning anyway, so I'm gonna go. I won't be surprised though if I'm the only one...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Lothar34
I'm staying with a friend and was going to be in town Sunday morning anyway, so I'm gonna go. I won't be surprised though if I'm the only one...
I'll be there.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
TheLoneRanger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go back out Sunday. I go for a Sunday drive anyway, might as well go back to the track. I live here though, I can understand the out of towner's view point. I wasn't holding my breath on the parade lap anyway after looking at the schedule. Didn't think there would be enough time to get everyone on and off the track in between events.

Bill
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

Im now debating whether or not to even drive the Vette down. Might just stick with Parking Lot F and drive down my daily driver.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I need to double check with my buddy but he called the track and they said that Lot F is now paved, it was not back for the F1 race in Nov. If so I plan to bring the Vette but I'm not doing the Corral thing, too late to change and I won't have any passengers with me now so that is why I can bring the Vette. I'll be in Turn 15, Sec 11, Row 24, Seat 9 if anyone really cares to know, LOL!!

Plan to leave SA a tad before 7am on Friday and hope to get to the track around 8-8:15am or so.

Anyone know how access to the paddock area will be handled? Based on the layout of the track you'd have to cross over one of the pedestrian bridges and then make your way to the paddock area on the access road between turns 3,4,5 and turns 13,16,17,18.

Should be a blast, sunny and a tad cool both days!!

Was surprised to see the grid only had a total of 35 cars though, was hoping for more.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

I'm not entirely sure how to get over to the paddock. I'd guess either from between the bridges, or from the tunnel that goes under the main straight:
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

T15 Section 6 Top row here. What section are you T15 guys in?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
ThrottleUp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator

I can't even imagine a parade lap around this track. I drove it in a CTS-V a couple of months ago and it's a long lap with lots of turns. It would be a blast in my 427 though........ hope to get to see you guys at the Corral, I'm at Turn 15 too, Section 25, Row 33, and was great view of lots of action at the Grand Prix.

I have to comment that the COTA people have done a poor job of informing the public about these Corrals.....as if they don't realize they have this large potential customer segment that could become repeat ticket buyers. I'm a bit disappointed about being orphaned like this! I even emailed the marketing person that sold me my PSL's and he knows nothing about the Corvette Corral.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
srthouston
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThrottleUp
I can't even imagine a parade lap around this track. I drove it in a CTS-V a couple of months ago and it's a long lap with lots of turns. It would be a blast in my 427 though........ hope to get to see you guys at the Corral, I'm at Turn 15 too, Section 25, Row 33, and was great view of lots of action at the Grand Prix.

I have to comment that the COTA people have done a poor job of informing the public about these Corrals.....as if they don't realize they have this large potential customer segment that could become repeat ticket buyers. I'm a bit disappointed about being orphaned like this! I even emailed the marketing person that sold me my PSL's and he knows nothing about the Corvette Corral.
In defense of COTA they and the officals of Grand Am have done everything we asked of them to make the Camaro corral a success. COTA and Grand Am will work with an organizer to make things happen, they do not have the man power or time to be the organizer.

Last edited by srthouston; 02-28-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Corral parking + parade laps at Grand Am of the Americas

Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Tinkerbell_in_Texas
Team Owner

Location: There goes another beautiful theory about to be murdered by a brutal gang of facts. American in AUS.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14

Originally Posted by srthouston
In defense of COTA they and the officals of Grand Am have done everything we asked of them to make our corral a success. COTA and Grand Am will work with an organizer to make things happen, they do not have the man power or time to be the organizer.
I have to agree. Organizing an event like this takes a lot of work...that it's coming together with such a short lead time is impressive. Kudos to AJ. (I think herding cats would be easier at times!)

See y'all in T15!

We're in T15 Section 15, row 18.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
nrt69
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm afraid they haven't done a great job of advertising online, so I offered to post this here.
Im afraid COTA hasnt done anything good so far IMO (and experience). Their parking, prices, seating, advertising, lack of on site camping and shade, it all sucks. (I say this with the sincere hope that it will change since id like to attend as many events as possible). Its pretty sad that im looking forward to driving 25 hrs to Sebring, FL in a couple of weeks - while not so enthusiastic about figuring out how to get to the ALMS race in September.

Hopefully there will be some good feedback, or tips for a enjoyable trip to COTA, after ya'll get back from the Grand Am race.

OP, where did you get the flyer about the Corvette corrall???
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM
srthouston
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nrt69
Im afraid COTA hasnt done anything good so far IMO (and experience). Their parking, prices, seating, advertising, lack of on site camping and shade, it all sucks. (I say this with the sincere hope that it will change since id like to attend as many events as possible). Its pretty sad that im looking forward to driving 25 hrs to Sebring, FL in a couple of weeks - while not so enthusiastic about figuring out how to get to the ALMS race in September.

Hopefully there will be some good feedback, or tips for a enjoyable trip to COTA, after ya'll get back from the Grand Am race.

OP, where did you get the flyer about the Corvette corrall???
I work with Grand Am on the Camaro Corral and ALMS with the Corvettes

Quick Reply: Corvette Corral parking + parade laps at Grand Am of the Americas