Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Would anyone in Houston area mind helping me install a transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 AM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone in Houston area mind helping me install a transmission cooler

Just spent a fortune on a new motor for my c6 and should be getting it back toward the end of next week. I had a vigilante 3200 stall converter installed and want to install a transmission cooler. Never tackled this before and want it done right and was hoping, well, praying, someone could help me, or me them, install one. Im In The Conroe, Woodlands, Houston area.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

If i knew how i'd help you out bud. But since i don't it would be like the blind leading the blind lol. Good luck on the install. I'm sure there's someone with the proper experience willing to give a helping hand.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Thanks Maxx. I try to learn what I can when I can when it comes to working on my car and there are so many guys on here that are PhDs in mechanics I thought it couldnt hurt to ask. But thanks again.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by VETTEPLAY
Thanks Maxx. I try to learn what I can when I can when it comes to working on my car and there are so many guys on here that are PhDs in mechanics I thought it couldnt hurt to ask. But thanks again.
Same here. I do what i can or what i can learn from the forum. If you decide to tackle the job on your own i'd still help. Maybe i can find a step by step somewhere. I'll let you know.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 06 Z51 6speed manual comes stock with a tranny cooler. the tubes(lines) (Stainless i believe) exit the tranny and are next to the torque tube hidden by the tunnel plate. they then exit by the exhaust and starter and go next to the engine mount and end up in the passenger side of radiator. later models have a air cooled cooler i believe.

for your auto, if you want to have the same routing, without dropping the torque tube you would have to feed the tubes through that tiny space on top of the tunnel plate.

i suppose another alternative is to have aftermarket lines fabricated and place a tranny cooler that has airflow or a fan somewhere in the rear of the car. way easier.

Franks vettes is on Louetta west of 45

Last edited by drivinfast; 11-28-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Thanks for the info drivinfast. I was hoping to find someone that has done this to their car so I can help do it and learn. Im sure someone that someone has already done it before can knock it out in no time with me helping and I could learn from it. I bought my car from Frank. I figured something this small would be an easy install with someone that has already tackled it and wouldnt mind teaching me. After this motor rebuild, tuning, transmission work, parts, labor, and on and on my pocket book has had enough raping for one year, lol. Im hoping lunch, beer and alot of corvette talk will find me some help.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEPLAY
Thanks for the info drivinfast. I was hoping to find someone that has done this to their car so I can help do it and learn. Im sure someone that someone has already done it before can knock it out in no time with me helping and I could learn from it. I bought my car from Frank. I figured something this small would be an easy install with someone that has already tackled it and wouldnt mind teaching me. After this motor rebuild, tuning, transmission work, parts, labor, and on and on my pocket book has had enough raping for one year, lol. Im hoping lunch, beer and alot of corvette talk will find me some help.
stock from the factory the hot radiator tries to cool the tranny and oil. all i have done is take the oil and tranny cooler lines going into the radiator out of the radiator and bought an aftermarket tranny and oil cooler from JEGS and put them in front of my intercooler. the tranny and oil are somewhat cooler now, but my next step is to move the tranny cooler into the right foglight spot and the oil cooler into the left.

it was explained to me, that both the Oil and Tranny outlets for the lines only allow a portion of the oil to circulate, but it supposedly is enough for cooling
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done it and I live on the west side of Conroe. Honey Egypt and 2854. You can take one of your trans coolant lines off the radiator and attach your hose to this hose. run the new hose to your external cooler. now run a hose from your external cooler back to the radiator where you unhooked the first hose. Now your trans fluid will flow through the radiator cooler, then the external cooler and back to the trans.

I used a small plate style cooler on my car and placed it in front of the radiator but I found it made the car run hotter in traffic, so I laid it flat below the radiator where the air gets pulled in when you are driving. I have also tried it with the radiator bypassed all together. I am going to change it out all together and buy a cooler with its own fan and thermal switch. I have been told the best place to mount it is in the front bumper behind the fog light and remove the light.

anyway here are the part numbers for the two best coolers for our cars

B&M 70298

Derale 13950

I like the looks of the Derale better because the fan pulls 400 cfm and it cost less.

I might get two of them and use one for the trans and the other for an oil cooler.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, the 3200 doesn't create much heat. I have had mine on for 1.5 years and haven't bothered installing a cooler for it yet.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
FWIW, the 3200 doesn't create much heat. I have had mine on for 1.5 years and haven't bothered installing a cooler for it yet.
I just took out a Vig 3000rpm stall not two weeks ago and with a Dewitts radiator, Dewitts fans and an external cooler ny trans temps would hit 200-220* in traffic.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Thanks Crow and Floyd for the info. I wasnt even sure I needed one but the consensus on here is play it safe and put one on. Cant be that frigging hard, lol, so I may have to tackle this one alone when I get time. The been there done that insights are appreciated.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I just took out a Vig 3000rpm stall not two weeks ago and with a Dewitts radiator, Dewitts fans and an external cooler ny trans temps would hit 200-220* in traffic.
I believe that Vigilante 3000 is typically looser than yank 3200, which is extremely tight.

Get notified of new replies

To Would anyone in Houston area mind helping me install a transmission cooler

Quick Reply: Would anyone in Houston area mind helping me install a transmission cooler