Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Late Model Corvette Owners - Dallas Cars and Coffee issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Well, in Houston this doesn't appear to be a problem yet because the parking lot at the venue is huge and there's still plenty of parking in the back of the buildings for spillover. With limited space, I can understand wanting to limit a plethora of one vehicle because, honestly, I own a Z06 Vette, so going to look at a mess of other Z06 Vettes doesn't get the juices pumping. But seeing a pair of yellow Enzos next to an F50 and F40? That makes the trip far more worthwhile to me.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Well, in Houston this doesn't appear to be a problem yet because the parking lot at the venue is huge and there's still plenty of parking in the back of the buildings for spillover. With limited space, I can understand wanting to limit a plethora of one vehicle because, honestly, I own a Z06 Vette, so going to look at a mess of other Z06 Vettes doesn't get the juices pumping. But seeing a pair of yellow Enzos next to an F50 and F40? That makes the trip far more worthwhile to me.

But that's just my opinion.
FYI.. This is the second largest C&C in the country with well over a 800 cars at the event. Even in the winter or looks like rain days people come out to the event with there cars.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just read several pages of the thread on the C&C forums. I had no idea how political this show had become. What a shame.

It would be interesting if all the Vettes, Stangs, Challengers, and other "low end cars" boycotted the next event to see would happen.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Wow, there is some bit-chin going on at the C & C forum.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
98C5RT
Burning Brakes

Location: Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Republic of Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Today's problem is..
I believe it should be kept first come, first serve. While I love seeing the exotics, if they cannot be bothered to be there on time, then sorry, no entrance. Reserving spots is crap, be it a MP4-12C or a dime a dozen Dodge.

I believe the venue has out grown its facility, which is also a shame, because Classic BMW does an amazing job with this show.
You hit the nail on the head. Too many cars with no real overflow parking, so everyone parks in the show area regardless of whether they are showing their car or not. Move the event to somewhere else with enough room for all people that love cars or, as so many have already suggested, boycott the current C&C and start a true muscle car GTG. The bigger the better!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
FYI.. This is the second largest C&C in the country with well over a 800 cars at the event. Even in the winter or looks like rain days people come out to the event with there cars.
At the rate the Houston gathering is growing, it's about to drop to third.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Joe,, You bring up a good point.. This is a giant event.. Our Collin County Group leaves at 6:30 am and we get there around 6:45 am.. We have to do this to get good parking, to where we can keep most of the Vettes in the same area..If you get out there at 8:00 when the event starts, you are doomed.. Nowhere to park! As far as the OP saying that this is a anti-late model Corvette regime, I raise the BS Flag.. I've seen a lot of no meaning cars that should have never been let into the show. Honda Prelude, Volkswagen Jetta, Honda Civics, Pontiac G6, Porcshe SUV (Cayenne?) Chevy Cobalt SS.. I don't think any year Corvette will take a back seat to these cars... Give me a break
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

No we leave so early in case one of get pulled over for doing more than 70 or < 140.... and get a WARNING!

Originally Posted by David426
Joe,, You bring up a good point.. This is a giant event.. Our Collin County Group leaves at 6:30 am and we get there around 6:45 am.. We have to do this to get good parking, to where we can keep most of the Vettes in the same area..If you get out there at 8:00 when the event starts, you are doomed.. Nowhere to park! As far as the OP saying that this is a anti-late model Corvette regime, I raise the BS Flag.. I've seen a lot of no meaning cars that should have never been let into the show. Honda Prelude, Volkswagen Jetta, Honda Civics, Pontiac G6, Porcshe SUV (Cayenne?) Chevy Cobalt SS.. I don't think any year Corvette will take a back seat to these cars... Give me a break
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
No we leave so early in case one of get pulled over for doing more than 70 or < 140.... and get a WARNING!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hate to bitch about anything, but the C & C Dallas event in March was my last. In April, I left my house in north Plano in my my C4 at 7:00 AM. It took me all of 25 minutes to get to the dealership where I sat in line with my engine running for 45 minutes until 8:15 AM. My engine was hot at 235 degrees with both fans running. I watched a fellow gearhead go up in steam in his restored 57 T Bird behind me. I finally said "F" it, and went home. I sat in front of the dealership for 45 minutes on Spring Creek!!!! What a load of crap. I was also told by a good friend that they were asking everyone for personal info to possibly formulate an invitation only list for future events.

If I want to see rows and rows of "new" Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers, I'll go to a dealership. And what's with all the vendors that show up and take up three spaces? It was fun while it lasted. In the future, I'll go to McKinney and the La Madeleine with my old friends who are "real" gearheads. I feel better now.

Mark B.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Man, you guys are early risers.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I used to go to the C&C events very early on. There was no such thing as "Vettes over here, and Mustangs over there." You could park anyplace that you wanted. I have friends with other types of old cars and it was so fun just to park in the same area. We would get there at around 7:20 and there might be 10 cars in the parking lot. By 8 it was getting full.
The next thing I know, the lot is full and there are cones reserving a row for Hondas and the Vettes need to go to the right as you pull in.
I have noticed more and more of the cars that were the center piece of the show were no longer coming. The original light green AC Cobra comes to mind.
Like someone else said that the dealership has done a great job, but I think the show isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. I have only been once in the past 6 months and that was enough to convince me that I won't be back. I don't need to see a 77 Malibu Classic or even 35 variations of the same new car.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Tony,

I really enjoy this event, it's a great place to talk to friends and see lots of cars not just the high end cars.

Once they start limiting cars that can get in then because the $100k plus owners (Ferrari and Lamborghini) want to sleep in then I'm done! I can find plenty of other things to do on Saturday morning.

Maybe someone will set up an alternative to this event instead!

Joe
I'm with you on this Joe...

Does anyone remember that this is a Monthly Charity Event ? Its not about people bickering about this or that car. Its about raising money for a specific charity each month. To which I contribute to each month.

First come First Serve for parking. If your a late riser then show up at 9:30am when the lot starts to clear out. I'm not sure why that's so hard to figure out.

I have a 2004 Z06 with a mod list longer than my arm. Most of my mods were done by me in my garage. If anyone thinks I'm not good enough to show up, I hope they say it to my face.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 05-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
I used to go to the C&C events very early on. There was no such thing as "Vettes over here, and Mustangs over there." You could park anyplace that you wanted. I have friends with other types of old cars and it was so fun just to park in the same area. We would get there at around 7:20 and there might be 10 cars in the parking lot. By 8 it was getting full.
The next thing I know, the lot is full and there are cones reserving a row for Hondas and the Vettes need to go to the right as you pull in.
I have noticed more and more of the cars that were the center piece of the show were no longer coming. The original light green AC Cobra comes to mind.
Like someone else said that the dealership has done a great job, but I think the show isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. I have only been once in the past 6 months and that was enough to convince me that I won't be back. I don't need to see a 77 Malibu Classic or even 35 variations of the same new car.
I don't think this was ever a 'Car Show' but more of a get together type of event for car enthusiast. In my opinion that's what made the event fun to go too and the fact that I got to see a lot of friends in the same place. I get tired of car shows and never put my car in shows anymore unless the money goes to Charity. I'd rather go drive my car at the track or cruise out somewhere with friends.

Maybe it should be a paid admission event that would probably solve a lot of problems for C&C and organizers.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by David426
Did you read the thread over at the Cars and Coffee forum? Corvettes are most certainly called out as one of the "problem" groups. I'm not saying that the C&C staff agrees, but folks are certainly voicing their opinions on the forum, and they have the Corvette crowd in their sentiments.

One of the most recent posts, as of this writing:

"All I am saying is that people need to get a realistic view of their car. A row of stock C6 Corvettes/2010 Camaros is not interesting. This is not a GM Factory lot, it is a car show. Think about the mods on your car & if you have anything that 5+ other people aren't showing off as well. If you don't, well, your car isn't as interesting/unique as you probably thought.

I think Classic should take a note out of the Irvine meet. They make it pretty clear what gets in & what doesn't."

Last edited by tonypittman; 05-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

C&C is like most anything else that gets too popular. It's crumbling under its own weight.

I think it jumped the shark a year ago.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, the venue is just not big enough for all of the cars that want to show up. I can appreciate what Eric Maas has done, but the show has just become too big. A new venue is needed. My wife suggested that a possibility could be a high school stadium parking lot, a shopping mall or other large lot. Cowboys Stadium? Rangers Stadium? Texas Motor Speedway? As much as I don't want to see 25 new Mustangs, Challengers or Camaros in a row, I do not think you should keep anyone from being in the show. Let's not forget that we were all young car nuts on a limited budget in our younger years, and what we drove was our pride and joy. Besides, getting young children interested in the hobby of car collecting is what this is all about. Someone needs to be enthusiastic about cars in the future so I can sell mine when I get too old to drive. Let's hope that a reasonable solution can be found.

Mark B.

Get notified of new replies

To Late Model Corvette Owners - Dallas Cars and Coffee issues

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

After reading thru all of the 11+ pages, it seems to me to be a generational thing (to me anyway). As a 46 year old, I want to see much more of the older cars and exotics. Judging from some of the posts, it doesn't bother some people to see different mods on 46 different Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, or Vettes.
The other hangup seems to be cost of the vehicle. My 64 not only costs less than most of the cars, but is worth less. I agree that it has become way to big and with that many people there is no pleasing of anybody anymore.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
NSTKR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Sounds like too much politics like the Chevy/Corvette Expo in Houston. Once the a$$kissers get to the promoters of the event it's ruined. Sad that the brown nosing whiners don't realize that this all began and still is a charity event.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NSTKR
Sad that the brown nosing whiners don't realize that this all began and still is a charity event.
Its sad to say but your right...

Toque

Quick Reply: Late Model Corvette Owners - Dallas Cars and Coffee issues