Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Congrats Arnold Time to throw in the built motor and get to haulin in the 200's!!

Can't wait for the next one!! Reserving hotel room asap!! //art

Last edited by z06tx; 10-24-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
We did 207 and couldnt hook. I think the track is bumpy and will have to think really hard about going back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-as7Z9ClXUs
That's just awesome - see Danny's head all over the place . Congrats guys! You should have come and got my wheels/tires as I wasnt using them anymore //art
Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by z06tx
That's just awesome - see Danny's head all over the place . Congrats guys! You should have come and got my wheels/tires as I wasnt using them anymore //art
Thats was with the radials Sorry to hear about your car. Build it bigger and better for your next time out.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
lethal zo6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a good time even though we did not get the full potential out of the car. Cars with big power could not get traction,and the track was WAY too bumpy. It was so bad that there were more accidents at this one event,than the past 2 years. The track in Goliad was 10 times better than Chase field, and it will be very difficult for cars to run well if they keep it at Chase field.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Even my slower 179 mph Z06 was hazing the tires right over that first bump at the 1/4-mile mark. You can even hear the rpm climb momentarily as I cross the bump in the video. Nothing like getting the car unloaded at the middle of 4th gear. That bigger bump just past the finish line though, its pretty awful.

Goliad surface is much better. And it felt safer going down Goliad.

Tony
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had alot of fun as well..Big bump at the end did this to a fellow GTM owner..GTM with a built LS6 making 447rwhp with a Porsche GT2 tranny. When I talked to him Saturday, he said the car was feeling light on the front at about 150mph and at the end of the track there was a big bump that was giving him problems with bad bump steer.(everyone was having problems with the bump) When he hit it the car was wanting to dart to one side. He said he was going to tape the front end up to block some airflow and run it again today. Well today, I got conflicting stories as to weather he was driving or his friend was driving, during one of the runs he pulled a 174.5mph and when he hit that bump at the end of his run his was doing probably around 170mph or so, the car jerked hard and spun, went into a tire barrier and well you see the results in the pics...Looks fixable, just sad to watch it happen right in front of you.

Pics before and after

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nice run Danny. It looked very tough to handle that kind of power. The track is much better than it was in May. They repaved the 1/4 after the track closed each day. This will be the only Texas Mile in Texas. I am glad that it is this close to us. They are improving after each event. I have heard rumors that they may be using the other runway in the future.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswtx
I had alot of fun as well..Big bump at the end did this to a fellow GTM owner..
Sorry to see that. With the amount of work that goes into building these cars I'm sure the owner was upset. Sounds like the new track won't be breaking any records.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I was hoping to run my car soon but I am hearing a lot of complaints on the surface. It was very evident even as a spectator. Definitely having second thoughts, especially when I want to add more power before I attempt it.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree........Arnold needs the new Motor by May for a 210 Goal!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by chriswtx
I had alot of fun as well..Big bump at the end did this to a fellow GTM owner..GTM with a built LS6 making 447rwhp with a Porsche GT2 tranny. When I talked to him Saturday, he said the car was feeling light on the front at about 150mph and at the end of the track there was a big bump that was giving him problems with bad bump steer.(everyone was having problems with the bump) When he hit it the car was wanting to dart to one side. He said he was going to tape the front end up to block some airflow and run it again today. Well today, I got conflicting stories as to weather he was driving or his friend was driving, during one of the runs he pulled a 174.5mph and when he hit that bump at the end of his run his was doing probably around 170mph or so, the car jerked hard and spun, went into a tire barrier and well you see the results in the pics...Looks fixable, just sad to watch it happen right in front of you.

Pics before and after

I left right before this happened. I had heard about it but didn't see it until now. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

We were all lucky nobody got killed with that track as rough as it is. Bill warner went down at 220 on his bike and got hurt pretty bad. The GTM was totaled. A ford GT lost control and went innto the grass. The whole length is rippled like a public road that has never been maintained. There is a big bump at the 1/4 mile mark where everyone loses traction and huge bumps right at the mile mark where all the accidents happened.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacks996
We were all lucky nobody got killed with that track as rough as it is. Bill warner went down at 220 on his bike and got hurt pretty bad. The GTM was totaled...
The GTM was NOT totalled.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...as-mile-3.html

"I finally had some time to work on the GTM yesterday with my buddy Rob. We tore out the windshield and cut away and removed most of the damage. The good new is that all the important stuff looks straight and untouched.

The damage on the front (other than one upper control arm) was mainly the little 3/4" tubing designed to support the hood and radiator assembly. When we finish the tear-down we are going to move the upper control arm mounts further aft to improve castor.

One of the funny things we saw was the hood clasps still sitting perfectly in the latches. I guess the hood (and rivets holding it down) are not rated for the 170+ going backwards!!

I feel a ton better now that my car looks like a project intead of a wreck. Even though we have a lot to do, I am glad the damage was not "major".

Maybe I should change my signature to "Worlds fastest GTM - Going backwards!!". Then again I was going forward when I crossed the finish line....

Rich"
Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
ruf455
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacks996
We were all lucky nobody got killed with that track as rough as it is. Bill warner went down at 220 on his bike and got hurt pretty bad. The GTM was totaled. A ford GT lost control and went innto the grass. The whole length is rippled like a public road that has never been maintained. There is a big bump at the 1/4 mile mark where everyone loses traction and huge bumps right at the mile mark where all the accidents happened.
Old post, but wanted to clairify: Bill went down at 100mph after a nasty wheel stand at 270+. He had slowed dramatically before the front end washed out. He is healing well.

Cheers!

Norm
(TX Mile Tech Since '08)

Quick Reply: Texas Mile