Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Moike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The welds are done and they look great. Mike @ Accufab was great to work with and very fair on the price. I had the mufflers put on and they have a much quieter tone than my B&B bullets but still sound aggressive when you are on the gas. I'll get some videos up later tonight.

I've got enough Ti for 2 more cars but one is spoken for so let me know who wants the last one. I'll sell the tube for $20 and Mike agreed to do the welding for $150 a car. That's a good price for the quality of work.

Here's the welder's info:
Mike Posso
Accufab
281-914-1050
mike@accufabtx.com

Last edited by Moike; 09-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll take the extra Ti

Thanks

Rick
Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Nice job on the welds
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I'll take the extra Ti

Thanks

Rick

You got it. I'm holding the other for DIYdreamcar. For the remainder of people that want the same mod I'll give the specifics below of what I ordered for reference.

I used www.titaniumjoe.com and ordered the following:

1.67" OD (some have done 2" but the welder agreed that even 1.67" was pushing it for a clean match with the stock exhaust.
Grade 2 (CP2) Titanium
0.040" thickness
One car will need between 12"-14"

Here is a compare with the B&B Bullets in the first video and the Bypass mod in the second. The video doesn't do it justice to show just how much quieter the Bypass Mod version is but it is a HUGE improvement from inside the car. I couldn't even have a conversation while driving before but that deep tone that drowned everything else out is gone. I'll be happy to meet up with anyone who wants to hear it first-hand.

B&B Bullets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tePScw0kcjU

Ti w/ Bypass Mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYjKx87sAc
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Originally Posted by Moike
You got it. I'm holding the other for DIYdreamcar. For the remainder of people that want the same mod I'll give the specifics below of what I ordered for reference.

I used www.titaniumjoe.com and ordered the following:

1.67" OD (some have done 2" but the welder agreed that even 1.67" was pushing it for a clean match with the stock exhaust.
Grade 2 (CP2) Titanium
0.040" thickness
One car will need between 12"-14"

Here is a compare with the B&B Bullets in the first video and the Bypass mod in the second. The video doesn't do it justice to show just how much quieter the Bypass Mod version is but it is a HUGE improvement from inside the car. I couldn't even have a conversation while driving before but that deep tone that drowned everything else out is gone. I'll be happy to meet up with anyone who wants to hear it first-hand.

B&B Bullets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tePScw0kcjU

Ti w/ Bypass Mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYjKx87sAc

Thanks, I'll give you a call to discuss a time to meet and also to check out your Z.

Rick
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man am I stoked!!! I am also half deaf from driving back with no cat back on the car Not really loud outside, but no one has any room to complain about a drone or resonance after they do this once....

So I have the exhaust off, a time to meet up with Moike and pick up some tubing and a time to meet up with the other Mike to have them welded.

If I had a video camera I would offer to take a video of an otherwise completely stock Z6 with the bypass mod, but I think everybody is just going to have to use their imagination.

Many thanks again to Moike for all the legwork!!! That's what makes forums like this great!

-Ed
Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
Man am I stoked!!! I am also half deaf from driving back with no cat back on the car Not really loud outside, but no one has any room to complain about a drone or resonance after they do this once....

So I have the exhaust off, a time to meet up with Moike and pick up some tubing and a time to meet up with the other Mike to have them welded.

If I had a video camera I would offer to take a video of an otherwise completely stock Z6 with the bypass mod, but I think everybody is just going to have to use their imagination.

Many thanks again to Moike for all the legwork!!! That's what makes forums like this great!

-Ed

It was nice meeting you and Rick this past weekend. As discussed; we can all get together after yours has the bypass to video the results. We'll have a cammed and a non-cammed car using the bypass mod along with a car with the unmodified stock exhaust for comparison.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for all the hard work. It looks like it turned out very nice!

However, if you had me on a list of possibles, you can remove me. I went with an offroad LT setup and it will be too loud. Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

this is way cool i have 2 cars with the TIs one is procharged with a 402 cammed lg pros i wonder how it would sound the other car is stock other than a ram air I'm not to far away 2 hrs or less would love to meet and check it out on your cars glad i found this post awesome
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Originally Posted by a/c man
this is way cool i have 2 cars with the TIs one is procharged with a 402 cammed lg pros i wonder how it would sound the other car is stock other than a ram air I'm not to far away 2 hrs or less would love to meet and check it out on your cars glad i found this post awesome
Now that mine are back on the car I can tell you that at idle the difference is noticable, but subtle. When you get on it things change

Mine is completely stock in the engine/exhaust components, so when C5longhorn, Moike and I get together again we'll let you know and you'll have an interesting range fo modifications to listen to through the exhaust, modified and stock.

We'l' keep everyone posted on when we are going to get together (maybe Sunday afternoon again?) so if anyone else wants to come and listen they can!

-Ed
Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Moike
Racer

This Sunday is good for me. Anyone have access to a decent video camera? The camera I used for mine before doesn't capture sound that well.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the iPhone
Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Moike
Racer

I could use my iPhone too if it comes down to it but it's not the best for an audio compare. I'll be around all weekend so let me if people want to meet up somewhere.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Two quick updates:

1) The Mod has wife approval, but she still wants some more sound Longtubes here I come!!

2) I did a round trip to Killeen this weekend, really don't notice any difference at highway speeds, just road noise. Now, the friend of mine who lives there didn't notice much difference in sound, until I gunned it that is

I feel like such a kid at the moment

-Ed
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
Two quick updates:

1) The Mod has wife approval, but she still wants some more sound Longtubes here I come!!

2) I did a round trip to Killeen this weekend, really don't notice any difference at highway speeds, just road noise. Now, the friend of mine who lives there didn't notice much difference in sound, until I gunned it that is

I feel like such a kid at the moment

-Ed
I really love mine too. You can't beat the compromise of it being very subtle at idle and make plenty of noise if you want to get on it. It is also one of the lightest and cheapest exhausts available. There doesn't appear to be any performance loss vs. the B&B Bullets because I still made 428hp on the stock heads with this setup.

The weather has been nasty lately but we need to get the cars together for a side by side compare. I may go to the Hooter's corvette show this Saturday at Willowbrook if the weather improves.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
blackonblackZO6
Instructor

by chance was there any Ti left? I don't really want to buy 4 foot of it for myself.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Great review Ed. I'm looking forward to hearing them and getting mine on.

Black,

We may have some left over after I get my car done.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Mike Posso (the welder) seems to think there is enough left for two as it stands, but we'll have to see.

I am currently in Spokane Washington and won't return until Saturday afternoon so I probably won't make the Hooters car show.

We do need to get together and compare cars....

-Ed
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Can this welder/fabricator do it with 2" tubing?

I've seen it pictured here on CF done with 2" but I realize there are different skill levels.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Can this welder/fabricator do it with 2" tubing?

I've seen it pictured here on CF done with 2" but I realize there are different skill levels.
I asked him about that before he did mine and he thought it would be difficult to get a clean weld based on the diameter of the stock Ti. I saw a picture where someone used 2" and it looked like they bent the tube inward to help it fit cleanly. I'll update this post with a picture later of the side view so you can see how the 1.67" diameter looks against the stock Ti because the pics I posted before don't show that angle. You might still want to check with the welder though because now that he's done a few he may be more confident in it.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?