Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

So, In Texas, What Exactly Does A "Written Warning" Mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
Default So, In Texas, What Exactly Does A "Written Warning" Mean?

I was pulled over the other day by a DPS Trooper who gave me a written warning for having no front plate.

Before you ask, he was sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun. So no, he had nothing better to do.

He takes my license, comes back with a little printout that says "no fine assessed, no penalty, blah blah..."

I shredded it when I got home, which should give you an idea of the impact it had on my day, but I was just curious as to what if anything it really means?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

In our case it meant, your insurance company is about to buy a guy a new winshield for the clod of West Texas county road, that supposedly came off your truck, hit the pavement of I-30 and then hit his windshield. Yep, this guy called the cops and the trooper chased Jim down. There wasn't a quarter panel on this guy's vehicle that wasn't dented. Trooper gave Jim a warning for an excessively dirty vehicle.

Then your insurance company attaches a note about you for an "at fault accident." Something you didn't know they did until you changed insurance companies and it showed up on the Clue (sp) report. Gotta love Progressive!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my case it meant that it was in their system, so the next time I got pulled over for it, I got a ticket. The second time was within a year of the first, so I don't know if there is a "time limit" as to how long it stays in the system. I would guess less than one year would be too soon to expect something to "disappear"...

I was able to send in $10, along with a picture of the front plate on the car, to have it dismissed.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

There is a time certain as to when they can issue you a real, live ticket for the same offense, but I don't know what it is.

But since you're way up there in I-dee-ho, I think you're safe.

oz
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i didn't even make it to the third sentence in your post

when a popsicle is red, what does that mean?

Last edited by MarkRx; 06-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by AvidFan
In our case it meant, your insurance company is about to buy a guy a new winshield for the clod of West Texas county road, that supposedly came off your truck, hit the pavement of I-30 and then hit his windshield. Yep, this guy called the cops and the trooper chased Jim down. There wasn't a quarter panel on this guy's vehicle that wasn't dented. Trooper gave Jim a warning for an excessively dirty vehicle.

Then your insurance company attaches a note about you for an "at fault accident." Something you didn't know they did until you changed insurance companies and it showed up on the Clue (sp) report. Gotta love Progressive!

Name:  dude-wait-what.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  24.6 KB
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Bkbulldog
Racer

It just means its in there system and if you get pulled over again they will give you a ticket, but I live in texas and have yet to get pulled over for no front plate {knock on wood}
Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
I was pulled over the other day by a DPS Trooper who gave me a written warning for having no front plate.

It means nuttin honey.

The next officer to stop you for the same violation has the same options as this officer did: ticket, warning or nothing.

ps I didn't shred my warning, it's still around here somewhere.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

What do you mean - dude what? I'm not kidding..It's just like it's typed..you can't make that kind of chit up. Texas has some kind of law about excessive mud on a vehicle.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
C6exy
Instructor

Cruise In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Before you ask, he was sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun. So no, he had nothing better to do.

He takes my license, comes back with a little printout that says "no fine assessed, no penalty, blah blah..."

I shredded it when I got home, which should give you an idea of the impact it had on my day, but I was just curious as to what if anything it really means?

LOL...Ask Curt about a written warning for SPEEDING in the Vette. The Trooper loved our car.....
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

It means you're a bad operator, you scofflaw. Shame upon you!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
MRZ5
Racer

Default warning

from what I have dealt with in the past, and speaking to a cop about a warning he gave me, he said if you get three warning's in a year, they will all come back into affect.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Iron Chef
Race Director

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by sxeC6
It means you're a bad operator, you scofflaw. Shame upon you!
Damn. I haven't been called a scofflaw in years...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It means next time they'll ask you why you haven't fixed the problem and write a real ticket.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

I painted the duck blue because I have never seen a blue duck
Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by ysb02
It means next time they'll ask you why you haven't fixed the problem and write a real ticket.
That's what I thought. I have no intention of putting a front plate on my car, so they can write away.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what I thought. I have no intention of putting a front plate on my car, so they can write away.

Get notified of new replies

To So, In Texas, What Exactly Does A "Written Warning" Mean?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
CleteZ16
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Driver84
Straight up .. I didn't spend 70 whatever bucks on billet steel letters for the plate insert so that I could replace it with a target for their lasers.

I had a bona-fide Texas State Trooper .. hat, aviators, big belly .. Buford T. Justice mang. I was polite and respectful as always.. got the written warning.. I think I kept it since, so far, it's the only time I've been pulled over in the vette (knock wood)
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What does a "Verbal Speeding Warning" mean? Then a "slow" verbal warning in a Vette!

I was stopped on the other side of Dalhart, TX, in the Vette by a deputy, he said I was speeding. He asked me how fast I was going, I told him 70 which was the legal speed limit, he said he clocked me at 80 behind the 18 wheeler, and he took my driver licence and insurance paper and went to his car for about five minutes. Then came back and said he was going to give me a "Warning", then he returned to his car. He then came back and handed me my licence and insurance paper, then he told me "To slow it down", I was puzzled at this point and asked were is the paper, he stated: "This is a verbal warning" and then proceeded to tell me again to "To slow it down" again nicely. What he doesn't know is that I was even going faster on the other side of the truck that couldn't see while I was passing.

Well, the next LEO traffic stop was in California, I was stopped for going to "slow" in the Vette, NO ticket again. How many have been warned for going to slow in a Vette, probably not many.

What a vacation for five weeks and 6.5K miles to the N/W US and Canada.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-24-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
ibefishing20
Advanced

a written warning is what it says.. a written warning.. it is merely a way to document what you were stopped for and how it was handled.. due to the increasingly number of whiny a--'s out there we have to protect our selves and document document document.. ive never had dispatch advise me that the person i ran has two prior warnings for this.. its only documentation.. to protect ourselves..

Quick Reply: So, In Texas, What Exactly Does A "Written Warning" Mean?