Repeal of Front License Plate Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
sheesnaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repeal of Front License Plate Law

SB561 Repeal of front license plate law in Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go again. SB 561 has just been filed for the Texas Legislative Session 81 to repeal the requirement for a front license plate in the state of Texas.

The bill is being sponsored by Mike Jackson, R-Pasadena. Let's see it this one does not get attached to some other dog of a bill and get dropped like the last two times.

Email your state rep and show your support.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/...xact=&Exclude=
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

cross your fingers
Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It isn't going to happen unfortunately. It's extra revenue for the state. unless the cost of producing the 2nd plate outweighs the extra money the can charge for it, they will keep it.

Plus the various cities love having the front plate for traffic and red light cameras. Police love it because it's an extra reason to pull you over and give you a citation (which is increased revenue), and it also gives them a good reflective flat target for radar and laser.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
God-speed
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by still-asleep
It isn't going to happen unfortunately. It's extra revenue for the state. unless the cost of producing the 2nd plate outweighs the extra money the can charge for it, they will keep it.

Plus the various cities love having the front plate for traffic and red light cameras. Police love it because it's an extra reason to pull you over and give you a citation (which is increased revenue), and it also gives them a good reflective flat target for radar and laser.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

yup, wont pass. fortunately i havent been pulled over yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
DFWLCJ
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I agree it likley won't happen but I disagree about the reasons...

NOPE They charge the same amount every year whether they issue a new plate or not (I think its 8 yrs for a new plate but maybe 10) ... no $ impact there.

Plus the various cities love having the front plate for traffic and red light cameras.
NOPE Red light cameras shoot the rear and may be a thing of the past before too long as they are turning out to cost more than they generate and there are numerous legal challenges as well.

Police love it because it's an extra reason to pull you over and give you a citation (which is increased revenue),
MAYBE (at best) ... but unless you are "misbehavin", they usually have better things to do.. and its pretty much just the "staties" that bother anyway.

and it also gives them a good reflective flat target for radar and laser.
HUH? Did you think that fiberglass shell shields you from radar and laser ?

While there isnt an "extra" reason for pulling you over, having a front plate does (marginally) help identify a possible stolen or BOLO (ie AMBER ALERT) vehicle. In my opinion that's pretty much it.

BTW My front plate is under the carpet in the rear deck

Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1
cross your fingers
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

we will see if it passes this time!!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'm hoping it passes, but I have my doubts. To much money involved.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Come on my Texan buddies! Get a bill that allows for an exception for the front plate requirement for an added fee that you could choose to pay or not! If it is revenue neutral to the State, the excuse is mute! All they want is your money!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
RLYSLO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DFWLCJ
NOPE They charge the same amount every year whether they issue a new plate or not (I think its 8 yrs for a new plate but maybe 10) ... no $ impact there.
Why do you think they charge this amount? To pay not only for costs of staffing, but also to cover costs to produce the plates, and making 2 plates costs more than just 1. so even if you only get a new plate every 8 years or whatever (unless you change vehicles or personalizations), you're still paying for them to be made, whether for yourself or for others

NOPE Red light cameras shoot the rear and may be a thing of the past before too long as they are turning out to cost more than they generate and there are numerous legal challenges as well.
NOPE.. SOME red light cameras only shoot from the rear. A vast majority these days have multiple cameras shooting from various angles, including the FRONT.

MAYBE (at best) ... but unless you are "misbehavin", they usually have better things to do.. and its pretty much just the "staties" that bother anyway.
NOPE... I was actually pulled over a few months ago just because I didn't have a front plate on. an officer was in front of me on an entrance ramp onto a freeway. I wasn't speeding, etc. But he saw that I had no front plate, so he pulled me over for it. I now have my front plate on because I don't want the hassle.

HUH? Did you think that fiberglass shell shields you from radar and laser ?
I never said fiberglass shell shields you from anything, no reason to be ridiculous. But laser especially works better if given a flat reflective surface. Here is an article that states exactly that: http://www.k40.com/images/pdf/reviews/sml_laserwars.pdf
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you think they charge this amount? To pay not only for costs of staffing, but also to cover costs to produce the plates, and making 2 plates costs more than just 1. so even if you only get a new plate every 8 years or whatever (unless you change vehicles or personalizations), you're still paying for them to be made, whether for yourself or for others
I renewed my registration yesterday, and got new plates. The fee was the same as when I did not need plates. I understand your point about the cost of the second plate being integrated into the registration price. But it everyone is paying "$X" for 2 plates now, and we reduce that to 1 plate, but continue to pay "$X" (which I'm sure we would), wouldn't that save money for the state?

I never said fiberglass shell shields you from anything, no reason to be ridiculous. But laser especially works better if given a flat reflective surface. Here is an article that states exactly that: http://www.k40.com/images/pdf/reviews/sml_laserwars.pdf
If it is a flat reflective surface that they prefer, the front cover fits that bill much better that the actual plate.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

They'll probably just charge the same for one plate. The cost of running a 2nd plate is probably in the cents.

I'd love to see timers or something such as a shrinking green circle that indicates how much longer the green light has. It's kinda unsafe to be driving at ~55mph and suddenly catch a red on a highway here. I think this city has their head up their *** when it comes to lights. They recently added a turning lane on south brodie near Advance auto paying the workers over-time to get it done on a schedule (Lots of $$$). It's been sitting there coned off for nearly half a year waiting for the turning light.

Anyone running a front plate in Texas? I'm trying to find something that is removable but isn't unsecured enough to fall off.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schizcat
yup, wont pass. fortunately i havent been pulled over yet.
what do you drive again?

LyleU, look into the removable bracket from top flight productions. i looked at them all and if you follow the instructions, it will stay put. after all that research i bought it and never installed it, ended up selling it with the car. I did a few test runs with it semi in place, with different plate trims, etc and a front plate just doesnt belong on a vette.

Last edited by MarkRx; 02-05-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
DFWLCJ
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Already well answered by roscoe118

NOPE.. SOME red light cameras only shoot from the rear. A vast majority these days have multiple cameras shooting from various angles, including the FRONT.
Very rare and even more expensive ...so likley even more doomed. Red light cameras are simply failing to pay their freight in most instances. Many cities are considering or already have deactivated them. They likely get as much mileage out of the signs as they do out of really using the cameras (IMHO)

NOPE... I was actually pulled over a few months ago just because I didn't have a front plate on. an officer was in front of me on an entrance ramp onto a freeway. I wasn't speeding, etc. But he saw that I had no front plate, so he pulled me over for it. I now have my front plate on because I don't want the hassle.
Obviously he had littlle else to do. How much was the ticket? What city?

I seriously doubt it makes any difference...in movng traffic hitting a plate is gonna be a challenge ...especially at the quoted 500 ft range even with an 18" beam but Ill give you a maybe here

Like I said...this was my opinion...and I think ultimately this is gonna pass...just not sure when.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
what do you drive again?

LyleU, look into the removable bracket from top flight productions. i looked at them all and if you follow the instructions, it will stay put. after all that research i bought it and never installed it, ended up selling it with the car. I did a few test runs with it semi in place, with different plate trims, etc and a front plate just doesnt belong on a vette.
I'm only seeing C6 brackets on their (have a C5z). Was yours a c5?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Come on my Texan buddies! Get a bill that allows for an exception for the front plate requirement for an added fee that you could choose to pay or not! If it is revenue neutral to the State, the excuse is mute! All they want is your money!

I thought this approach should have been done early on, state makes money and enforcement for no front plate could be more agressive being you have a option. Antique and Dealer plates do not require a front plate, why not pay extra for no front plate. Of course no state boardering TX has front plates.

Get notified of new replies

To Repeal of Front License Plate Law

Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 AM
superalpha
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front of a car is supposed to be aerodynamic, much like a motorcycle but you do not see front plates on those.....
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
~Maverick
All Men Die, but Few LIVE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The is not now, nor will ther BE a front plate on MY car! Horrid looking things!

That being said...

~Maverick
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superalpha
the front of a car is supposed to be aerodynamic, much like a motorcycle but you do not see front plates on those.....
hmmmm

Quick Reply: Repeal of Front License Plate Law