Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Questions for C6 Texas Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Questions for C6 Texas Owners

I've owned four C3 & one C5, and I ran the front tag on all those cars. I never really thought it looked that bad.

I'm considering buying a C6 and know the front license tag does not look right mounted on that bracket that sticks out in front of the car.

Has any C6 owner here ever received a ticket for running no plate on the front? What do you tell the police if they pull you over....do you say "GM didn't give us a place to mount a plate"? Does that work. Any other advice?

Does anyone here have a front plate on their C6, and if so, can you post pictures of it?

As always, thanks for your answers.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 AM
GO4URS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12

This isn't the hubby's car, but its one that I found here on the site. I hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM
God-speed
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
I've owned four C3 & one C5, and I ran the front tag on all those cars. I never really thought it looked that bad.

I'm considering buying a C6 and know the front license tag does not look right mounted on that bracket that sticks out in front of the car.

Has any C6 owner here ever received a ticket for running no plate on the front? What do you tell the police if they pull you over....do you say "GM didn't give us a place to mount a plate"? Does that work. Any other advice?

Does anyone here have a front plate on their C6, and if so, can you post pictures of it?

As always, thanks for your answers.

I was pulled over last Wednesday for no front plate. I have never ran one on any of the cars that I have owned, including my old C5. I was pulled over by DPS. I was given a warning. I just told the officer that their is NO braket for one, but I understand. Later on that Day I order a front braket for my C6 and a couple of frames..
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
AM.MSCL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have been pulled over several times for no front plate on several different cars and only one time have I ever gotten a ticket. That time I know he pulled me over thinking he was going to get me for no insurance and after taking my license and insurance card he then walked to the front of the car and looked. Then he returned to the window and he finally told me I was pulled over for no front plate I know he was full of it because there was no way he could see the front of the car when he decided to turn around.

Most of the time it is just a reason because they could not get you for anything else and it ends up just being a warning.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

I haven't had a front license plate on my last 2 cars. 99 SS and 06 C6. I have never been pulled over because of just the plate. I have heard that if you have the second plate you can put it on the front windshield. I guess using tape or whatever and that you can be given a ticket as long as an officer can see the plate from the front of the car. If your worried about it, you could do that, if you don't want to find a bracket for it. Which I would suggest doing that, then actually putting on the plate... it looks so clean without the plate!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM
HAIL THI$
Pro

I live in Dallas and have been driving my Vette for 2 years. I've never been pulled over for NO front lic. plate. But I have for other things

Honestly, it depends on where you live in my mind. I know for a fact that Dallas PD isn't going to waste their time pulling me over for no front plate. And most of the time you will get away with a warning from DPS on the Tollways around here.

I've told many people this before and heard it from others as well. If you get a ticket...FIGHT IT.

Steps:
1. Buy a bracket and some buy double sided tape or velcro
2. Mount the bracket (with the plate) on the car using preferably the tape (velcro is harder to take off).
3. Take the plate off the car
4. Take a picture with your digital camera and print it off.

Go to court and show the judge that the plate is on the car. They usually drop the ticket.

MY 2 CENTS!

Last edited by HAIL THI$; 06-10-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Didn't the Lege just review this law last session and make it a $10, non-moving, no-points ticket? Basically a warning even if you get written.

It's really more of a reason to pull you over if you're doing something suspicious. Like 22 through a school zone.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Front plates seem to get a new thread every day. I installed mine last month. Why give LEO's a reason to stop me?

Here's mine. The bracket is a $59.95, #628821 side mount fold up from Mid America Motorworks (YES, THEY ARE FORUM VENDOR). I modified it to fit the center of the car by cutting and bending the bracket, it doesn't fold anymore. The painted color matched frame is also from MAM, $39.95, #634072JB.

The bracket is awkward to install, you'll have to jack the front of the car high enough to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the bumper cover.
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To all:

Thanks for all the information.

haljensen:

That mount looks a lot better than what I saw on one with the factory mount. Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
aTX427

I have never had a front plate on any of my vehicals
Old 06-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Oh HELL No!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Didn't the Lege just review this law last session and make it a $10, non-moving, no-points ticket? Basically a warning even if you get written.

It's really more of a reason to pull you over if you're doing something suspicious. Like 22 through a school zone.
The law now states if the local court desires it MAY only be a $10 administrative fee if you show it has been fixed. However, if the local court wants they can charge up to a $200 fine as spelled out in the vehicle code. I have yet to see someone only charged the $10 administrative fee, nor do I know which counties/cities will revert to the new administrative fee instead of the fine structure of $0 to $200.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Snowman
Oh HELL No!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 PM
~Maverick
All Men Die, but Few LIVE
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Putting a Front Plate on a Corvette is like seeing a Beautiful woman wearing a tee-shirt without a Bra...then asking her to put a Bra on....it simply AIN'T gonna happen!

~Maverick
Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Dvlray6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I run without the front plate. May get me a ticket someday, but haven't yet. I think if you are not acting the fool, you should be ok - but it can always come down to one cop having a bad day.

I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Future MD
Safety Car

No front plates on any of our Vette's. My husband was stopped once or twice for no plate, got a warning both times I believe. I (knock on wood) have not been stopped for that, but have been for speeding at least 3 too many times!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Here's mine. The bracket is a $59.95, #628821 side mount fold up from Mid America Motorworks (YES, THEY ARE FORUM VENDOR). I modified it to fit the center of the car by cutting and bending the bracket, it doesn't fold anymore. The painted color matched frame is also from MAM, $39.95, #634072JB.

The bracket is awkward to install, you'll have to jack the front of the car high enough to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the bumper cover.
great idea! best looking yet.

Last edited by gbgary; 06-26-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions for C6 Texas Owners

Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM
C6 NOIR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08-'09

No front plates on my C6 nor on either of the C5's that I've owned. Two warning tickets on the '03. Luckily was returning from shows with ample proof so that the officers accepted my explanation. Am very careful, however, never to run with the phony plate shown in my avatar.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
hansesm
Racer

Default Warning

I received a warning from DPS while in my C5 but haven't been stopped in the C6, but recently added Top Flight Repo from plate bracket with frame, and you know it does not look bad.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
aayala2
5th Gear

I have not been pull over yet with my c6 but, I have a couple of friends with an 08 c6 that got pulled over by a rookie cop and given a warning. He quickly took his 08 C6 back to the dealer ship to get the bracket put on. he told me he had it on for 2 days and it fell off, so he took it back to get the bracket drilled into the front bumper and it looks bad. But he does not want to pay ~$130.00 fine for no front plate. As for me I will just wait until I get pulled over and get a ticket. As mentioned before just chalk it up to the corvette tax. I have heard of people the went 10 years before getting pulled over so don't worry about it until you get pulled over. More and like they will give you a warning first so you can then order your bracket at that point.

Quick Reply: Questions for C6 Texas Owners