Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada
View Poll Results: Stickies - what do you think??
Should stickies have a time limit?
25.00%
Do you want all GTG to be a sticky or just bumped?
62.50%
Do you read the "Whats going on" thread for events?
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!

Right now we have 13 stickies -

5 of them consist of some form of weekly get together.

Right now the SW section has more stickies than any other region.

What I would like from you is your feedback on them.

1... Do we need them? Right now I post the GTG's in my "Whats going on thread" http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1596526

2... Or do you read your areas "local upcoming events threads" that are updated by that areas Coordinator?

3... If the GTG's are active enough they will be bumped to the top w/o being lost.

4... What other ways w/o a sticky can we promote your areas GTG?

5... What about a time frame on how long a sticky is up and running?

Whatever ideas, input, feedback, suggestions, or thoughts you have on this, I'd like to hear them.

Last edited by Gray Fox; 08-29-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Your poll options aren't set up right? They are either/or answers but you can't select an option?

How a bout a poll as to just what sticky's should be used for?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by C6-CYa
Your poll options aren't set up right? They are either/or answers but you can't select an option?

How a bout a poll as to just what sticky's should be used for?
You see how much I use them??

Okay, we'll bypass the polls, I'll settle for thoughts.

It's been a long week so far.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
BarneePhife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

How about unsticky all of the GTGs. Put one Sticky for each Southwest region (by state?). Within each sticky, break it down by city or whatever and link to the actual thread for each GTG.

Example:

------------------------------------
Stickies
------------------------------------
GTG and Happenings in Arizona
GTG and Happenings in Nevada
GTG and Happenings in New Mexico
GTG and Happenings in Oklahoma
GTG and Happenings in Texas

--------------------------------------
(example within one of these stickies)
--------------------------------------
GTG and Happenings in Texas

DFW Weekly GTG: Hurst, Grapevine and Surrounding Areas
GTG: Murphy, Plano, Wylie, Richardson, Garland, Sachse, and surrounding areas
** DFW ** Corvette Forum Picnic - Sat, Sept 29th - Arlington
Things to do in the Denton/Lewisville and North Texas Area
Looking for something Corvette related to do in Houston?
Red Corvettes in Denton, Dallas, Collin & Tarrant Counties
(Houston) Sept 30th SHCC & Hooters Fall Vette Show; 100+vettes will attend!

---------------

Then each of these threads would be "un-stickied" but would bubble to the top of the Southwest forum as they remained active.

This solution would shift your administration from stickies, to editing the links found in the 5 permanent stickies (one for each state in the Southwest region). At the same time, it would clean up, and significantly shorten the sticky section.

Just a thought...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

Well Jim each coordinator for their region right now has a thread of what's going on in the area, but it's up to them to keep it updated. I keep mine updated. So basically my sticky is posted and the GTG is also a sticky, so it's duplicated.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
dfwroadkill
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by Gray Fox
Maybe we're more active... is that a bad thing?

Personally I like the GTG being a sticky because it's easy for me to find.... and I don't like to depend on the activity level to keep it bumped up. I'm not crazy about a time frame for how long a sticky can run.

I don't normally read the 'What's going on thread" or "local upcoming events thread".

Jim's thoughts aren't bad as long as it is kept easy to check up on.

That's my honest input...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the GTGs as a sticky are great. But I also think that as was stated earlier, you could have each major city or region have a main sticky and within that group, the GTGs could have stickies as well. It basically is the same as setting up one of these PHP forums. Each of the main topics becomes a parent and the subthreads (topics) become children. An example is listed below:

Main Topic (Southwest Section)

City (Dallas area)
Denton area
Euless/Grapevine/Bedford area
Plano/Frisco
City (Ft Worth area)
a
b
c
City (San Antonio area)

City (Austin area)

Basically it is a domain with sub-domains which could also have sub-domains.

I do know that it is difficult though since so many areas overlap and sometimes the threads die out from lack of participation. Good job on handling things though.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Too many stickies. Especially for those of us who don't live in an area with a coordinator. If we have an event in the smaller cities, we have to stay alert to keep our threads alive. I've asked moderators in the past to make something sticky, and have been ignored. And can ALL events and GTG's in ALL cities be made sticky? You'd have 50 stickies!!!

If an event has enough interest, it will stay alive on its own without being sticky.

So I say let everything float or sink on its own. Unless it's REALLY important. Then it should be sticky -- OT is a good example.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
dfwroadkill
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

One more observation:

The 'What's going on in DFW?" thread has had just over 1,600 views since the first of the year.

The "DFW Weekly GTG: Hurst, Grapevine and Surrounding Areas" has had almost 1,900 views in less than a month since it was restarted. The original thread had 22,561 views in one year and 3 months.

The "Red Corvettes in Denton, Dallas, Collin & Tarrant Counties" has had almost 2,400 views in less than a month.

The "GTG: Murphy, Plano, Wylie, Richardson, Garland, Sachse, and surrounding areas" has had over 3,800 views since March.

Please don't take this as anything other than an observation, but I think the numbers show what most people coming to this section come here for.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
VicRed07C6
Advanced

Ditto what dfwroadkill said!!!

Last edited by VicRed07C6; 08-29-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Easier to find as a sticky, but if that's an issue...

Just drop it off the sticky list and let everyone create a short cut for the post. No worries!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
VicRed07C6
Advanced

Right now we have 13 stickies -

5 of them consist of some form of weekly get together.

What I would like from you is your feedback on them.

1... Do we need them? Right now I post the GTG's in my "Whats going on thread" http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1596526 . . .
Upcoming events:

. . .Red Corvettes - Check out their thread for their rotating meeting place.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1774911
This information is inaccurate. We do not rotate meeting places. Each meeting is on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month (not weekly) at Hard 8 Bar-B-Q in Coppell. This is one reason why it would be better if each GTG posts their own information (in a Sticky).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VicRed07C6
This information is inaccurate. We do not rotate meeting places. Each meeting is on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month (not weekly) at Hard 8 Bar-B-Q in Coppell. This is one reason why it would be better if each GTG posts their own information (in a Sticky).
Yes, we need to post our own information to make sure it is correct. We, the Red Barons, are NOT ROTATING locations, we meet on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month at 1PM at the Hard 8 Bar-B-Que in Coppell. Let's keep it simple and correct and let us update it ourselves. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
DFWLCJ
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Im weighing in as one of the "frequent bumpers" trying to keep the Grapevine/Mid Cities post "visible" . The sticky is much easier.

I have been told we get the views and the particiaption because of the friendly nature of the group and the weekly pictures.

Id like to keep max visibility on the GTG...a sticky is easier to manage.

I dont usually check the "Whats going on" post but could possibly be re-trained although there is that "old dog" crap to deal with.

My $.02

Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

I apologize on the mistake for the "rotating" but at the time you all were switching places. I'll correct that right now.

Actually SE and NE are the two busiest regions with get togethers. They just don't do stickies.

I'm just weighing the options here since we are overloaded with stickies and people do complain about them. I see both sides to this.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
VicRed07C6
Advanced

I apologize on the mistake for the "rotating" but at the time you all were switching places. I'll correct that right now.

Actually SE and NE are the two busiest regions with get togethers. They just don't do stickies.

I'm just weighing the options here since we are overloaded with stickies and people do complain about them. I see both sides to this.
Actually, the red Corvette GTG has NEVER "switched places". You must be confusing us with another group.

Last edited by VicRed07C6; 08-29-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by VicRed07C6
Actually, the red Corvette GTG has NEVER "switched places". You must be confusing us with another group.
Sorry

Get notified of new replies

To Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
in2fun
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

HI Mary !
First I would like to ask... Why are people complaining about the stickies and what are their complaints ? That just sounds really dumb ( complaining about too many stickies ) ! I tell those people to get a life !!!! All they have to do is just scroll down the page to get to the regular threads... HOW HARD IS THAT !!!!! The sheer numbers of all the views on the sticky threads tell the story. Those stickies are what most people look at to find out what's going on. By eliminating the stickies you will cut down the attendance at the GTGs. If people have to go looking for those threads ( some only look at it the day of or the day before the GTG ) by sifting through all the other threads until they find the one GTG thread they are looking for... They will soon lose interest. Plus a lot of CFs like looking through the pics that are posted on those GTGs and those people may never post a comment. They just like reading them. The stickies we have now are VERY POPULAR ! I think the people who are complaining about them are in the minority. I think if you eliminate the Stickies... Then you will soon have A LOT MORE COMPLAINTS from the MAJORITY !!!!!! If I sound harsh I'm sorry... But the thought of people just sitting in front of their computer complaining about the stickies just IRKS ME ! Now with all that said. I know I, as well as everyone else, can just scroll down to find the thread we like. But why make it hard to find the most popular ones that most people look through to find out what's going on. Let's keep it easy for those who REALLY LIKE VIEWING THOSE STICKIES. Thanks to all who spend their precious time vewing all the threads on CF as well as the STICKIES. And for those whiners that feel like Stickies are a distraction to CF..... GET A LIFE !!!!!

THATS MY 2 PENNIES !

ELIO

Last edited by in2fun; 08-29-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
One more observation:

The 'What's going on in DFW?" thread has had just over 1,600 views since the first of the year.

The "DFW Weekly GTG: Hurst, Grapevine and Surrounding Areas" has had almost 1,900 views in less than a month since it was restarted. The original thread had 22,561 views in one year and 3 months.

The "Red Corvettes in Denton, Dallas, Collin & Tarrant Counties" has had almost 2,400 views in less than a month.

The "GTG: Murphy, Plano, Wylie, Richardson, Garland, Sachse, and surrounding areas" has had over 3,800 views since March.

Please don't take this as anything other than an observation, but I think the numbers show what most people coming to this section come here for.
So "quantity" is more important than "quality"?

If you live in a big city, you're more important than if you live in a smaller city? It's probably easy to make an event work in a big city. The number of participants practically guarantees a good turnout.

Dammit, we struggle to get attention and attendance for events in smaller cities! And we work HARD to make our events a success...

So why are we being treated as second-rate citizens here in this forum?

AND...once again, the points I've made have been IGNORED. Just like my requests for stickies were IGNORED.

Last edited by page62; 08-29-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM
VicRed07C6
Advanced

Originally Posted by in2fun
HI Mary !
First I would like to ask... Why are people complaining about the stickies and what are their complaints ? That just sounds really dumb ( complaining about too many stickies ) ! I tell those people to get a life !!!! All they have to do is just scroll down the page to get to the regular threads... HOW HARD IS THAT !!!!! The sheer numbers of all the views on the sticky threads tell the story. Those stickies are what most people look at to find out what's going on. By eliminating the stickies you will cut down the attendance at the GTGs. If people have to go looking for those threads ( some only look at it the day of or the day before the GTG ) by sifting through all the other threads until they find the one GTG thread they are looking for... They will soon lose interest. Plus a lot of CFs like looking through the pics that are posted on those GTGs and those people may never post a comment. They just like reading them. The stickies we have now are VERY POPULAR ! I think the people who are complaining about them are in the minority. I think if you eliminate the Stickies... Then you will soon have A LOT MORE COMPLAINTS from the MAJORITY !!!!!! If I sound harsh I'm sorry... But the thought of people just sitting in front of their computer complaining about the stickies just IRKS ME ! Now with all that said. I know I, as well as everyone else, can just scroll down to find the thread we like. But why make it hard to find the most popular ones that most people look through to find out what's going on. Let's keep it easy for those who REALLY LIKE VIEWING THOSE STICKIES. Thanks to all who spend their precious time vewing all the threads on CF as well as the STICKIES. And for those whiners that feel like Stickies are a distraction to CF..... GET A LIFE !!!!!

THATS MY 2 PENNIES !

ELIO
He's right. Why has our society devolved to the point whereby the minority dictates policy for the majority? I believe our threads have quality, THAT's why we have quantity!

Last edited by VicRed07C6; 08-29-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Feedback Needed - Topic - Our Stickies!!