Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Another Newbie in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Squid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie in Houston

Hey everyone ... I wanted to introduce myself and find out some good info on Clubs, groups, or gathering places for local owners.

My name is Charles, but I am nicknamed Squid by my biker buddies because I served nine years in the Navy. If you guessed a Jarhead gave me the name then you are correct.

I am buying 2000 C5 Coupe (auto), fully stock (no simple mods at all) with 36,000 miles on it. It is pristine, except for a small group of tiny rock chips on the hood and a more sinister scratch on the driver mirror.

The color scheme is Navy Blue with Light Oak interior. It comes with a brand new set of rear run flats (I am told that's about $800). Much like this car right here -- although this is not the one I am getting: EXAMPLE of Car -- CLICK HERE

I say getting the car - because I am buying from an individual who banked with Hibernia Bank and well since they are in New Orleans there are some organizational issues when it comes to title location since Katrina. On top of that he paid off his loan balance with a personal check and that delays the receipt.

So, as a 42 year-old a single guy with no kids I am checking off boxes of goals and dreams I always wanted for myself. Hence, last year going through 3 Harleys untill I found the one I loved.

This year I am finishing out with the "car."

I want to hook up with some of you locals so that I can hear some of your exhausts before I make the commitment. I am leaning towards the Corsa Indy Pace Car with Tiger Shark Tips.

I did go out on a limb and pre-order Lloyd's Mats ... I went with Black even though I have the Oak. I figured there was enough Black accents with the Dash and Center Console to offset the drastic change.

I started a thread in AUDIO about my research into a Subwoofer addition to the Bose System.

I do like the HALO LED tail light mod, seems easy and very effective for the money. I know the first thing I did to my Harley was change out the exhaust and put an LED rear brake light set-up. Two different ways of being seen and heard better.

I live on the east side of Houston in Channelview so I would be most interested in Clubs that congregate this way - although I am sure they all probably meet west of Houston's centerline.

I appreciate any help or tips you can send my way.

Charles

Last edited by Squid; 12-12-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 AM
ST31
Drifting

Welcome to the board.

Can't help you with your questions on your C model, but I'm sure everyone else will be chimming in soon.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome . I can't answer your questions about the clubs either, but nice choice in color. See my sig

Just sold her on Saturday

Jason
Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Fast-C5
Racer

Welcome to the board! For a more local meet check out the site I am pretty active on, www.houstonperformancedriving.com

We are trying to get a Vette club started and would love to have you aboard!

I am FastC5 on there, shot me a PM when u register, you'll love it there!

Later!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:58 PM
droopwv
Burning Brakes

Welcome! I live about 80 miles east of Houston but met up with some Houston vetters on the 3rd for a cruise to Galveston and had a great time. You will enjoy. Not much going on here in my town so I have started watching the Houston posts. You will love the car! Congratulations.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Several good clubs, all have different focuses on events:

Corvette Owners Club of Houston, www.corvetteownersclubhouston.com

San Jacinto Corvette Club, www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.org

Sam Houston Corvette Club, www.shccvette.com

Check 'em out, go to the meetings, then decide.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Squid
Advanced

Thanks for the advice on clubs.

I guess my next question is who has a C5 using a Corsa Indy with the Corsa X-Pipe ... I would like a chance to hear your ride in person.

I would hope you haven't changed out the headers just so I can get a true feel for the sound I shoud expect.

I am getting the Tigershark but that shouldn't really matter if someone has different tips.

Charles
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Squid
Advanced

Thursday is the day ... the seller finally got the title in and I pick it up in the morning. Pics to follow.

I got online and started order the pices to get a sub woofer add to the Bose.

Next will be Corsa Indy - Tigershark tips (with Corsa X-Pipe).

Charles
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Dr_PimpRide
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Squid
Thanks for the advice on clubs.

I guess my next question is who has a C5 using a Corsa Indy with the Corsa X-Pipe ... I would like a chance to hear your ride in person.

I would hope you haven't changed out the headers just so I can get a true feel for the sound I shoud expect.

I am getting the Tigershark but that shouldn't really matter if someone has different tips.

Charles
Congrats on your new ride. You're going to love it/her.

I have the setup you're looking into, with the addition of the Blackwing intake. Corsa Indy exhausts with the X-pipe, and stock headers. The Daytona tips shouldn't make a difference in the sound.

I work on the NW side of Houston, and live at I-45N and 610, just north of downtown.

Feel free to PM or email (click my name on my avatar - upper left) and we can meet up so you can hear it outside and inside the car. That's how I decided on my setup a couple years back.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Squid
Advanced

Dr. Pimp -- If you see my other thread about being towed you will understand it may be a couple days ...

I will definitely take you up on it. I do business with Mancuso Harley right there by you. Could do two of my favorite things all in one day.

Thank you -- I will be in touch.

Charles
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Welcome to Houston!

I recommend SHCC because I know those guys, many are northsiders but not all. I know of people who prefer the other clubs and don't know enough to make a recommendation...so have fun looking around.
Many of the groups post gettogethers on this site so this is a good place to keep in mind.

I have Corsa Indy's but with a blower and no xpipe so don't know if mine is the car to hear (but it ain't bad )

My wife and I sponsor a gettogether at our place every June so for sure come out for that. We've had up to 64 vettes on the lawn at one time. Don't know if we'll do it next year yet or not but chances are we will. I also have a lift if you need one. Just IM me.

Doug

Old 12-18-2005, 12:57 AM
95Torch
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome from the Bear Creek/Copperfield area...
Old 12-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Squid
Advanced

Thank you for all the greetings. As you can see I have "classed up" the trailer park.

Headed to Orlando this morning ... covered parking of course.

Charles
Old 12-18-2005, 12:44 PM
speedy-vet
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Busa196
Welcome . I can't answer your questions about the clubs either, but nice choice in color. See my sig

Just sold her on Saturday

Jason

Not in any clubs here due to lack of time but I try to join events that come up and meet with vette folks. Doug's event (Snowman) is an event most of us are aware of every summer

BUSA196: Are you now vettless?

and yeah... I do agree with you... Squid has good taste in the color right?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Don't know if I would trust a pretty car like that in a trailer park. Do you have a garage??
Old 12-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Welcome and congrats on the new ride.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Welcome aboard.....I will not hold it against you that you were in a subordinate military service to the Air Force , but as Speedy stated, we do have a few get togethers and just cruise anywhere, eat, and just hang out........keep you eye open and join in......You know, it has been awhile since we have had one......I think once we get past the cooler months, a trip to Galveston and to eat at Fishtails is in order.......

Get notified of new replies

To Another Newbie in Houston

Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Squid
Advanced

Nope -- no garage. But it's ok. Looking into other options. You know I am single and no kids and the trailer is paid for so I plan on staying here and keeping a small footprint.

When I got out of the Navy 5 years ago I didn't wanna buy a house right away and I certainly didn't want to live in an apartment so this was a great option. Got a really nice single wide and then our business took off ... so I just paid off the mortgage and now I am spoiled and just don't want the commitment of a homeownership or a mortage.

Life is a trade off and and if my paint start to fade then life will just have to be a "Trade Up."

Charles
Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Fast-C5
Racer

Originally Posted by Squid
Nope -- no garage. But it's ok. Looking into other options. You know I am single and no kids and the trailer is paid for so I plan on staying here and keeping a small footprint.

When I got out of the Navy 5 years ago I didn't wanna buy a house right away and I certainly didn't want to live in an apartment so this was a great option. Got a really nice single wide and then our business took off ... so I just paid off the mortgage and now I am spoiled and just don't want the commitment of a homeownership or a mortage.

Life is a trade off and and if my paint start to fade then life will just have to be a "Trade Up."

Charles
Nicely put, I like the way u think sir.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:09 AM
PowerMad
Pro

Welcome to the wonderful world of a true American legend.. the Corvette. You've made a great choice and it will bring you miles of smiles, awesome performance, and amazing highway gas milage (my Z06 never turns less than 29 mpg on the highway).

Dave

Quick Reply: Another Newbie in Houston