Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Thinking about moving to Houston area, advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Thinking about moving to Houston area, advice needed.

I have been looking at houses online in the areas north, northeast and northwest of Houston. Towns such as Montgomery, Cypress, Conroe, Spring, The Woodlands, Humble, Tomball, Magnolia and others within 25 miles of Houston. I would also consider other areas south, east and west of Houston within 25 miles.
Time to get away from the cold weather here in Columbus, Ohio.
Any info would be appreciated on weather, taxes, traffic, crime, etc.
Also would like to know electricity rates per kwh and natural gas rates.
Why are most houses around Houston heated with natural gas and not heat pumps?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Houston okay I have to ask why Houston? San Antonio is a nice place and still South. Not nearly as Muggy
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 AM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Houston's good

If you like humidity, come here!!!... I have lived in dry climates, and it is extremely hard on skin. I love the humidity. I like warm air too. It was 85 Deg. a few days ago...then again its supposed to possibly freeze tomorrow night. Much milder winters than ohio...can drive the vette year round. I live in league city (30 miles southeast of downtown) and i love it, close to the bay (love to fish) but close enough to still do all the things in houston. Crime down here is pretty low, but in any big city, its not the best. Taxes a bit high here, but cost of living overall pretty reasonable. Cost of gas and electricity about the same as anywhere in texas (never lived out of texas), I have a 1500 sq ft. house, with gas appliances and gas heater, my highest bill in august was $130 for electric, and my gas bill is usually around $40. Overall not bad. Lived here most of my life, and love it

Good Luck, would be glad to have ya

Great vette group here too BTW...have met many good freinds through vetting.....

Daren
Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a house in Katy, Nice area. Actually looks like my neighborhood here in Florida 10 years ago. Taxes high but seems the rest of expenses are reasonable. I know one thing for sure. People are really nice, hope to be moved in May 06
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

We just bought a house in Pearland and love the area. We are 22 miles South of downtown. I work downtown and it is not a bad commute at all. We just moved here from Kemah which is 32 miles South of downtown. Lived on the water there. Both are excellent areas to live in. If you work downtown I would stay away from Katy, Sugar Land, and The Woodlands unless you take the bus to work or leave VERY early in the morning and leave early or very late.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Husker67
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The humidity is unbearable! I am looking at places north of Austin/Fort Worth. I like the heat, but I hate the humidity!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Any place you go will have good and bad points. The Corvette people in the Houston, are great. That in its self, is a reason to live in the Houston area.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 AM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
Houston okay I have to ask why Houston? San Antonio is a nice place and still South. Not nearly as Muggy

I have a few friends in Houston and Spring and wanted to get as far south as reasonable. We were going to move to Florida but the housing prices have gone crazy. $350,000 buys about 1700 sq. ft.

I forgot to mention that my wife and I are young retirees so a commute to work is not an issue. On high humidity days we will just stay inside and watch racing.

Can you help with these questions? I have searched but can't find:

Natural gas rates per ccf.
Electric rates per kwh. I think around .16.
Why very few houses with heat pumps.
I think Texas has no state tax. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the info. Good corvette people in Texas.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
ST31
Drifting

Originally Posted by Husker67
The humidity is unbearable! I am looking at places north of Austin/Fort Worth. I like the heat, but I hate the humidity!!!
I agree. I grew up in the Champions area (NW side of Houston) and that is why I live in Dallas now. The humidity is a killer. Although Houston does have some good perks. Great food, diversity & culture.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Bravada
Instructor

Why very few houses with heat pumps.
Because of the high temps and humidity they don't work well here.

I think Texas has no state tax. Is that correct?
No state income tax, if that's what your asking.

electricity rates.
http://www.powertochoose.org/yourcho...pareoffers.asp

For gas rates contact http://www.centerpointenergy.com/res...region=Houston

Keep in mind not all homes in the Houston area have NG. Some are electric only and some are propane depending on the neighborhood and how far out from the City of Houston you go.

For lower crime rates I would recommend looking at some of the suburb cities around Houston. I live in Sugar Land and love it out here. Other good areas are Katy, Woodlands, Clear Lake, and too many others to list. Like any major city metroplex there's the good and the ugly. Let us know what areas your looking at so we can let you know whether to stay clear from them or not.

Last edited by Bravada; 12-07-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:03 PM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By vote goes to The Woodlands. Great planned community living. Great golf all around! All the MILF's you would ever need. Great food....
Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Several have mentioned taxes.... No state income tax, but very high property taxes. Some areas approach 3% of assessed value, which is usually not far from the market value.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Very good info so far.
The areas I am looking at so far are:
Spring, The Woodlands, Cypress, Magnolia, Conroe, Tomball. These are from internet searches and are not limited to these cities.

Seems like the natural gas rates are about 1.23 per ccf. Electric about .16 per kwh. Good info to have but not a deal breaker one way or the other.

I am looking for a house (prefer 1 story) with at least 1/2 acre, 2800 sq ft or more, 4 or more car garage with 2 attached, 9 or 10 foot ceilings, 4 bedrooms. 3 car garage would be fine if lot was big enough to build another 2.
Hoping to find one for $350,000 or less.

Can I find city water and sewer in any of these areas?

Thanks for all the information.

Last edited by corvette dave; 12-07-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I pay right around 3% for the property taxes. For finding a house, go to www.har.com. If you need a realtor, I know a couple.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 AM
PowerMad
Pro

I chose SW Houston, near Sugar Land. Lower property taxes and avoids I-10 and I-45 on my commutes.

My understanding is heatpump is electric. Gas is far less expensive for heating. I use Gas for heater, water heater, stove and oven. It saves a lot of money.

In Houston, your biggest electric expense is Air Conditioner. Make sure your place has strong air conditioner. My experience here is that the "rule of thumb" numbers are woefully inadequate for the heat and humidity of Houston.

Be glad to provide more info if you like.

dave
Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Bravada
Instructor

All of the areas you've mentioned should be good, especially in your price range. You should be able to find a house with your needs for under 350K. Depending on how upscale of a neighborhood and how rural your looking at you can get a 4200 sq ft home for 350K. I agree with Cajundude on the Har.com recommendation, through that site you can do a custom search for most all of the criteria you've specified and limit it to specific areas. As far as city water and sewer is concerned it all depends on how rural you go and even then some neighborhoods way out there have city style water and sewer through a MUD.

Originally Posted by corvette dave
Very good info so far.
The areas I am looking at so far are:
Spring, The Woodlands, Cypress, Magnolia, Conroe, Tomball. These are from internet searches and are not limited to these cities.

Seems like the natural gas rates are about 1.23 per ccf. Electric about .16 per kwh. Good info to have but not a deal breaker one way or the other.

I am looking for a house (prefer 1 story) with at least 1/2 acre, 2800 sq ft or more, 4 or more car garage with 2 attached, 9 or 10 foot ceilings, 4 bedrooms. 3 car garage would be fine if lot was big enough to build another 2.
Hoping to find one for $350,000 or less.

Can I find city water and sewer in any of these areas?

Thanks for all the information.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Is a northern exposure important? I see that often in ads. I assume the exposure is to avoid the sun but wouldn't a southern one be good also?

Any thoughts on The Woodlands. Is this some kind of Mecca?

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about moving to Houston area, advice needed.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Is a northern exposure important? I see that often in ads. I assume the exposure is to avoid the sun but wouldn't a southern one be good also?

Just your average Republican suburbanites, which is fine by me, however, a definite NO if you work downtown.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
SnowDale
Drifting

Location: Spring, Texas Unofficial Houston Event Photographer
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

The Woodlands is one of those nice big suburban areas that is growing like crazy. A lot of stuff is controlled, so you won't get big billboards along the Woodlands parkway, and stuff like that. Lots of golf courses, good schools, the shopping/dining has come a long way recently. The commute downtown can be a bear, but they also have buses that go straight downtown, and the Hardy Toll Road is pretty wonderful.

I live just south of the Woodlands, and my in-laws have lived there for 15 years. And they are Republican, BTW.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood are great places as well. I can turn you on to my realtor if you like.........

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to Houston area, advice needed.