Southern California Southern California

CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event

You may have read the rumor of The River City Corvette Club of Sacramento Challenging the CORVETTEFORUM folks to a Road Course Racing Event on February 9th at Thunderhill Raceway. Below is the official challenge by gbecton

Hey Cricket (Jim), yep, the challenge is here, River City Corvette Club of Sacramento is challenging the corvetteforum folk to show up and run at Thunderhill Park in Willows, California on Feb. 9, 2003. Must have 10 entries per group to compete. I'm sure Cricket will provide the corvetteforum folks with details in a later post and new topic. Track time is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

We need a minimum of 10 to answer the challenge. This will be held at Thunderhilll Raceway in conjunction with SpeedVentures.

The rules are as follows. The best lap time of each person on the challenge team (CORVETTEFORUM or RIVER CITY CORVETTE CLUB) will be added up and the team with the lowest total time will win the challenge.

Should RCCC have 15 participants and the FORUM only has 12, then we will use the 12 fastest from RCCC and the 12 FORUM member. Of course if there is more FORUM member than RCCC then we will use all the RCCC member and the fastest FORUM members times. This is the only fair way we can allow everyone to participate and have a great time and answer the challenge set forth by RCCC

By doing this in conjunction with SpeedVentures www.speedventures.net we will have instructors there for those who have never had the chance to experience Road Course Racing on a truly great track. As Gary said in his Challenge "this is the most fun you can have with your clothes on"

We have the following currently wanting to compete for the FORUM:
Crash99
Cricket
fluxen
DrZ
Zo64ME
Speedtoy
gkull
Reboot
Barely Legal
Shinobi'sZ
NickC
Mdalen
jayleone

GREAT NEWS for those of you who have never tried Road Course Racing and want to try this time ... SpeedVentures is going to give anyone who has never run with them before a 10% discount on this event. They are doing this to enable you to experience the wonderful world of road course racing at it's best.

Please post here to get on the master list and then go to www.speedventures.net to sign up.
Don't Wait as the is only one month away and to qualify for the discount you must mention the challenge and what team you are on in the remarks section of the regisration form.

[Modified by Cricket, 12:03 AM 1/17/2003]

[Modified by Cricket, 10:38 PM 1/19/2003]

[Modified by Cricket, 8:38 AM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 AM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (Cricket)

Let the trash talking begin. LOL. :steering:
Old 01-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (Cricket)

It would be more fun if it was a heads up door handle to door handle race. :thumbs:

[Modified by Zee Freak, 8:30 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (Zee Freak)

Hey John, that car looks awfully familliar. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hope its workin out for ya ok. :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 01:08 PM
fluxen
Pro

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (Zee Freak)

Hey John, that car looks awfully familliar. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Hope its workin out for ya ok. :cheers:
Haha! Nice picture, huh? ;) Yes, the car is working out great. It's so nice to have a car that just plain gos, and I don't have to screw with it at the track. I don't know if Aaron called you yet or not, but he's gonna try to get up there this weekend to get the wheels/tires. I'll get on him to call you to figure out a schedule.

As for the rest of you CF guys, it's time to get your butts off the couch and on the track! :yesnod: I don't know what Gary's club team looks like at this point, but we've got what's probably a competitive advantage in the car pictured above, and all we're lacking are guys to round out the team to kick some butt, take some names, and have a whole lot of fun with your vette brethern! :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 01:57 PM
CVCVCV
Racer

I'll be there (as one of Gary's RCCC squad) - have signed up for the Sunday session!

Perry

Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 PM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (CVCVCV)

Not all River City Corvette Club members drive vettes. We might have an Italian car or Two. Who knows, and Fluxen lookout. :steering:
Old 01-09-2003, 04:57 PM
fluxen
Pro

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (gbecton)

Ah, that makes it interesting...so we're allowing non-vette's in our little challenge? I have a couple of people in mind, in that case :D
Old 01-09-2003, 07:49 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (fluxen)

Ah, that makes it interesting...so we're allowing non-vette's in our little challenge? I have a couple of people in mind, in that case :D
Fear Fluxen's non-Corvette buddies - that's all I can say :grouphug:
Old 01-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Crash99
Racer

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (fluxen)

I have signed up for 2/9 as part of this challenge competing for the Corvetteforum team. I hope we get enough cars as it would be really cool to see 20 or so Corvettes on the same track at the same time!

I have driven Thunderhill a few times before and it's a really fun track without much danger and with plenty of high speed straights and interesting turns (like 5 and 14).

{fluxen: I assume we will use turn 5 and not the bypass???}

I hope to see as many of you there as possible and that I can help the team with my lap times. I guess I need to go out and practice my trail braking this weekend...

...and I had better get a Corvetteforum sticker for my car or helmet!

-Crash (not named that for my driving!)
Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 PM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (Crash99)

Okay Fluxen, corvettes only in the challenge, but I'm trying to get you guys more cars. I'm going to be in Palm Desert the next week working on my driving and chiping and putting. Get those SOCAL guys fired up. :steering:
Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event (gbecton)

Not all River City Corvette Club members drive vettes. We might have an Italian car or Two. Who knows, and Fluxen lookout. :steering:
So I am to understand that the only requirement is to be a RCCC member or CORVETTEFORUM member ... cool I know some Vipers that love to road course race. We need to get the So Cal group fired up for this incredible opportunity :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also I am hoping some of these Northern Cal folks will be aware of this super get together :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-10-2003, 10:26 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Keeping it all Corvette would be best... after all this is the Corvette Challenge Series we are talking about. ;)

vetterdstr :cheers:

BTW, like the new Smilies!! :)
Old 01-10-2003, 11:36 AM
KLMonline
Instructor

Default Racing in a Daily Driver?

Hey, racers... Would you please take a look at my post in C5 General Forum? It's titled "Track Racing Feedback For Neophyte".

This all sounds like a world of fun, but I don't know if I can play this game with my daily driver. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

--Ken
Old 01-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Racing in a Daily Driver? (KLMonline)

Ken
These are all "daily driverr's" for the most part. All the Corvettes that will be running are street vehicles that we put numbers maybe different tires, but they are the same cars we take to the cruises and other events. The nice part about Thunderhill is there is only one wall (main Straight) that could pose a problem if you became too aggressssive. This is why there are instructors there to show you the line and enable you to get the most enjoyment from driving your Corvette at high speeds without the danger of some other idiot coming out of on the street totally wasted on drugs or alcohol. :auto:

I have to tell you, after road course racing for litttle over a year it has made me a better driver when I am out on the public highways.

The better you know your Corvette the better you will be able to react in unfavorable situations on the public streets. But don't use the public streets to learn about your Corvette. This is what the Driving events are all about and why they have different groups to match your experience level. It all becomes a learning curve. And yes we use our own cars to keep our head in line with our right foot. It is all about judgement and learning what you can and can't do with your car. Learn it at the track ... not on the street

[Modified by Cricket, 9:23 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:19 PM
fluxen
Pro

Okay Fluxen, corvettes only in the challenge, but I'm trying to get you guys more cars. I'm going to be in Palm Desert the next week working on my driving and chiping and putting. Get those SOCAL guys fired up. :steering:
I appreciate that and all I can say is "Get them all out!" :) We could, of course, do sort of a dual team scoring, where teams compete 2x, essentially: the Vette drivers vs Vette drivers, and then team-wide vs team-wide. I agree with Vetterdstr and others that we do need to go Vette vs. Vette, as that's a big part of our fun, but I think we could include others too. And I'll, of course, be my usual reasonable self on this...I promise I will put no F1 cars on the CV forum team :D

[Modified by fluxen, 10:32 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:58 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Ken, you can use your daily driver to participate. :) It is fun and safe. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event

Old 01-10-2003, 03:19 PM
CVCVCV
Racer

Hey, racers... Would you please take a look at my post in C5 General Forum? It's titled "Track Racing Feedback For Neophyte".

This all sounds like a world of fun, but I don't know if I can play this game with my daily driver. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

--Ken
Would love to look at your post but I can't find it! Can you post the URL?

Also, for you or anyone else wondering / worrying about whether to do this event in your beloved C5, please remember - this is JUST FOR FUN !! No-one involved is going to risk pranging their (or anyone else's) car nor ever pressure you in any way to get "out of your depth". At all times you are completely free to drive well within your own comfort zone. It is your right foot on the throttle and it goes up as well as down!

You should know however that the event itself is not Corvette specific and Corvettes will not (at any time) be the only cars on the track. However, there are different groups for different abiility levels and you will absolutely be given time to get used driving on a race track / learn the circuit. In point of fact, newbies who have never driven at speed on a track before are even REQUIRED to take track time with an instructor before being allowed out on their own. SpeedVentures run these events very well but they and everyone taking part trust each other to behave and not be an idiot!

Some nervousness is only to be expected and you would not be human if you did not get a tad apprehensive, especially if you've never done it before... but believe me it is worth it and you will have the time of your life once you get over that initial hurdle.

OMG just listen to me - all of one Speed Ventures event under my belt, and I am sounding like a total know-all!! - but trust me, I have just been through this and can reassure you that what the others say is quite true, this truly is the best fun you can have with your clothes on and truly a wonderful way to get an inkling of just what a C5 Corvette is really capable of and just how darn good the pro drivers really are!

Perry.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:27 PM
CVCVCV
Racer

Default Re: Racing in a Daily Driver? (vetterdstr)

Ken, you can use your daily driver to participate. :) It is fun and safe. :yesnod:

Quite so, Stock C5s are indeed all permitted at Thunderhill and although add-on safety equipment is of course desirable and to be recommended, there is no additional requirement for any aftermarket rollbars (yes, including Convertibles), or any other addons. I personally run my own C5 Convertible with no added hardware.

A helmet IS however absolutely required (see the Speed Ventures website at www.speedventures.net for complete information on that, and for all the other details).

One other point you need to "Tech" your car (you can do this yourself and sign a form to state your vehicle is in proper condition) and you must take this TOTALLY seriously - DO properly check EVERYTHING. Ensure particularly your tires are in 100% good condition and that your brakes have plenty of pad thickness left and rotors are not cracked or otherwise damaged. Tires and brakes will get a serious workout!

Perry.

[Modified by CVCVCV, 1:33 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:29 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Racing in a Daily Driver? (CVCVCV)

Thunderhill has excluded Convertibles without rollbars.

Quick Reply: CORVETTEFORUM has been Challenged by Corvette Club for Road Racing Event