C5 vette "limp mode" help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 07:25 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SSkull
Alright, I was thinking maybe you were running into the predicted airflow table issue.

I stayed quiet after my initial suggestion of Edwin over at Powerhouse cause I didn't want to suggest any possible solutions based off of my own experience.

After installing my supercharger, I'd get a code and go into limp mode after I had drove the car around for about a month. The computer was thinking that the amount of air flowing in was way off from what it should be(I had the A&A supplied tune for the car installed) depending on how much throttle I was giving it. So going 3/4 throttle or full throttle with the supercharger obviously flows a lot more, and the computer thought that has to be wrong which would send it in to limp mode(which I would have to either shut off like you do, but after it happened 2 or 3 times I would get into the code checking area of the DIC and clear it while still rolling and it would leave limp mode). I fixed this by adjusting the predicted airflow table in HP Tuners and never had the issue again.

After dealing with it myself, it seemed to be pretty prevalent with supercharged/turbocharged C5s, as well as somewhat common with heads/cam cars since in all those scenarios you have more air flowing than originally expected.

I did remember reading about it popping up with people with an intake mod like what you said you've got, but it was much less often compared to people with Forced Induction/Cam upgrades for obvious reasons.

Long shot, but was the SLP intake added on shortly before you started experiencing this problem? I'm probably way off, but I always welcome any possible solutions myself when I'm trying to narrow down some random *** issue out of nowhere.
Interesting about the air flow issue. I bought the car used from a used car dealer in Chula Vista. Car already had the SLP on it. Test drove the car for about 15 minutes around town but no freeways. No issues. Paid the money, signed the papers, "as is final sale" no warranty. About 10 miles from the car lot heading home the car goes into "limp mode". Ah, CRAP! I have been dealing with the issue since last August.
I do not have the stock air cleaner set up. Maybe look for one on the forum to try out to see is that is the issue. Only thing I have not tried is replacing the TAC (throttle actuator control).
Old 07-05-2021, 07:28 PM
SSkull
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GLmajer
Interesting about the air flow issue. I bought the car used from a used car dealer in Chula Vista. Car already had the SLP on it. Test drove the car for about 15 minutes around town but no freeways. No issues. Paid the money, signed the papers, "as is final sale" no warranty. About 10 miles from the car lot heading home the car goes into "limp mode". Ah, CRAP! I have been dealing with the issue since last August.
I do not have the stock air cleaner set up. Maybe look for one on the forum to try out to see is that is the issue. Only thing I have not tried is replacing the TAC (throttle actuator control).

Worth a shot if you can find someone local to you that may have a stock intake. If I had a stock one I'd be willing to meet up with you to test it out just cause I'm curious at this point. Unfortunately I gave away the stock one I had a long time ago.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:29 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

No, motor is stock but has CAI from SLP. Car has 84,000 miles on it.
I think I fixed the PM issue.
Question:

I know that you replaced the Pedal Position Switch - but you there isn't one of those throttle enhancers like "Pedal Commander" or "Solar Performance" a "Sprint Booster" installed on the Vette anywhere is there?

I know it's a long shot, but other members have had these fail on them and cause similar problems -

I am glad to hear that some of the other issues cleared up for you too -

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-05-2021, 07:39 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Question:

I know that you replaced the Pedal Position Switch - but you there isn't one of those throttle enhancers like "Pedal Commander" or "Solar Performance" a "Sprint Booster" installed on the Vette anywhere is there?

I know it's a long shot, but other members have had these fail on them and cause similar problems -

I am glad to hear that some of the other issues cleared up for you too -

Thanks,Matt
Hey Matt,
Not that I know of. I do not see any additional equipment installed like that.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:49 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Gerry, I have a stock intake if you want it. PM me if you are interested.

Gary
Old 07-06-2021, 11:54 AM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Gerry, I have a stock intake if you want it. PM me if you are interested.

Gary
PM sent.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:58 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me when a guy has a problem and tells his story on this site...someone is always tries to help!!!

Jerry (thread starter) is one of those guys that would give you his shirt off his back to help you. President of CSC for many years, his kindness is always evident. He has a heart of gold, always offers to help and an all-around nice guy...especially as a friend.

Sorry if I sound a tad biased, but I've known Jerry (doc) for many years and am very proud to call him my friend

So, I want to say "thank you" to all that have tried to help him...he would reciprocate if the tables were turned.

Sparky

Co-founder of The Block of Orange (with Jerry as one of its oldest members).
Old 07-08-2021, 09:38 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ufso
It never ceases to amaze me when a guy has a problem and tells his story on this site...someone is always tries to help!!!

Jerry (thread starter) is one of those guys that would give you his shirt off his back to help you. President of CSC for many years, his kindness is always evident. He has a heart of gold, always offers to help and an all-around nice guy...especially as a friend.

Sorry if I sound a tad biased, but I've known Jerry (doc) for many years and am very proud to call him my friend

So, I want to say "thank you" to all that have tried to help him...he would reciprocate if the tables were turned.

Sparky

Co-founder of The Block of Orange (with Jerry as one of its oldest members).
Sparky,
thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your friendship over the years.
Have a blessed day.
Doc
Old 07-10-2021, 03:43 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

A run down of what has been done to solve the problem.
Replaced Throttle Position Sensor, no change in problem
Replaced Pedal Position Sensor, no change in problem
Replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor, no change in problem
Replaced O2 sensors, code reader said to replace, cleared code
Replaced Steering wheel sensor, code reader said to replace, cleared code. Does not set off traction control anymore
Cleaned all under-hood grounds, no change in problem
Cleaned battery cable posts, no change in problem
Sent PCM in for diagnostics, tested OK
Tested EBCM, tested OK
So, as you can see, still have not found the one problem that is causing the "limp mode".
I will next contact Power House Racing as recommend in this post and see if they have any way of fixing the problem. I have been dealing with this since last August.
When it does go into "limp mode" then I pull over, turn the car off, pull the key, open the door, wait 30 seconds and restart. I can then drive the car although the "check engine " light is on. After a few days the "check engine" light will go off. Short drips around town are pretty safe but I do not take in on the freeway of long drives.
The scanner still shows codes for what we have replaced. PCM code P1125, P2130, P2131, and then TCS code C1278 (TCS temporally inhibited by PCM) This code will go away when PCM codes are gone.
Hi Gerry,
Been a long time since I have been to the "block" runs. Don't usually come in this part of the forum all that much, but I saw this post and was curious of the issue you are having. Looking at the service manual for code P2130 it seems to also throw P2131 with it. The other code P1125 will set with those codes too if it sees an issue between the 3 APP sensors. They need to be within 13% of each other.
Looking at these codes one thing keeps standing out. APP 3 seems to be the issue that throws these codes. There are 3 wires associated with APP 3. There is a 5-volt reference, a low reference, and the APP signal itself. So the issue with these codes seems to be because of the APP 3 power, ground, or signal. I assume it throws the reduced engine power message when this happens. Question, do you lose all or just most of the throttle when this happens? I see you have replaced a lot of parts but have not touched the TAC module yet. It could be the TAC module needs to be replaced or it could be a problem in the wiring, or just needs to be reset. One thing to test before swapping out the TAC module would be to pull the connector (C1) off of the TAC and inspect for corrosion or an open in one of the pins. That module sits below the battery just like the PCM does so corrosion could be an issue. I am adding a list of info below for your reading if you wish. The pins I am curious about are pins A, E, K on connector C1 of the TAC. Those are the pins to APP 3.

The air filter issue I'm not sure if that is causing any issue. If you are getting more air in than what the car expects it will usually throw a P1514 code. Putting on the stock air filter or adjusting the values in the tune would fix that problem if it did throw that code. So if you are not seeing that code then your air filter should be fine. Also seems like you are not throwing any lean codes because of it either.

Here is some reading info. Going to add the P2130 diagnostics info.
Hope this can be of some use to you.

Connector Part Information
  • 10-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series (BLK)
Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

GRY

Low Reference

B

PPL

Low Reference

C

LT BLU

APP Sensor 2 Signal

D

TAN

5-Volt Reference

E

YEL/BLK

5-Volt Reference

F

DK BLU

APP Sensor 1 Signal

G

LT BLU

5-Volt Reference

H

Not Used

J

BRN

Low Reference

K

DK GRN

APP Sensor 3 Signal

DTC P2131
Circuit Description
The accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor is mounted on the accelerator pedal assembly. The sensor is actually 3 individual APP sensors within 1 housing. Three separate signal, low reference and 5-volt reference circuits connect the APP sensor assembly and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module. Each sensor has a unique functionality. The APP sensor 1 signal increases as the accelerator pedal is depressed, from below 1 volt at 0 percent pedal travel, with the pedal at rest, to above 2 volts at 100 percent pedal travel, with the pedal fully depressed. The APP sensor 2 signal decreases from above 4 volts at 0 percent pedal travel to below 2.9 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. The APP sensor 3 signal decreases from around 3.8 volts at 0 percent pedal travel to below 3.1 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. Notice that the signal circuits for APP sensor 2 and APP sensor 3 pull up to 5 volts and the APP sensor 1 signal circuit is referenced to low reference within the TAC module.
Conditions for Running the DTC
  • DTCs P0606, P2108, or U0107 are not set.
  • The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
  • The ignition voltage is greater than 5.23 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
  • APP sensor 3 disagrees with APP sensor 1 by more than 13 percent and APP sensor 3 disagrees with APP sensor 2 by more than 13 percent.
  • All of the above conditions are present for less than 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records.
  • If one or more APP sensor DTCs are set for a single APP sensor, the following occurs:
    • The control module will not command Reduced Engine Power mode.
    • The control module will use the remaining two APP sensors to calculate throttle response.
  • If certain multiple APP sensor DTCs are set for more than one APP sensor, the following occurs:
    • The control module commands Reduced Engine Power mode.
    • The APP indicated angle is limited to a predetermined value to limit the amount of throttle control.
    • The message center displays Reduced Engine Power.
  • If all three APP sensors are out of range, the following occurs:
    • The APP indicated angle is limited to 0 percent. The control module only allows the engine to idle.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
  • A current DTC Last Test Failed clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
  • Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. When water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs could be set with no DTC circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
  • When the TAC module detects throttle movement with a DTC P2130 set, a DTC P2131 also sets.
  • When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests that run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Keep this in mind when reviewing the Capture Info.
  • For an intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.
    • This step determines if a communication condition exists.
    • This step isolates an internal APP sensor failure. The condition may only occur at a certain accelerator pedal position. Monitoring the APP angles for sensor 1 and sensor 2 is an accurate way of verifying the actual position of the pedal. The APP angles for all 3 sensors should be within a few percent of each other. When the pedal is at rest, the APP angle for all 3 sensors should be 0 percent. When the pedal is fully depressed, all APP angles should be 100 percent.
    • The APP sensor 3 has a dedicated 5-volt reference circuit. Monitoring the APP sensor 1 voltage aids in diagnosing the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit. If the scan tool displays 5 volts then the circuits are OK.
    • When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests that run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Keep this in mind when reviewing the Capture Info.
Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector End Views , , or Engine Controls Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Is DTC U0107 also set?

--

Go to DTC U0107

Go to Step 3

Important

Do not depress the accelerator pedal.
  1. Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Observe the DTC Info with a scan tool.
Did any other throttle actuator control (TAC) module or accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor DTCs set except DTC P1125?

--

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Go to Step 4

Observe the APP sensor Agree/Disagree parameters, with a scan tool.

Does the scan tool indicate Disagree for any of the APP sensor Agree/Disagree parameters?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 5
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the APP sensor angles for all 3 APP sensors.
  3. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal, stopping at 25, 50, 75, and 99 percent.
  4. Slowly release the accelerator pedal, stopping at 75, 50, 25, and 0 percent.
Does the scan tool indicate that the APP sensor 3 angle is within 13 percent of both APP sensor 1 and sensor 2 angles?

--

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Go to Step 6
  1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Disconnect the APP sensor harness connector.
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for voltage, with a DMM.
Does the DMM indicate voltage within the specified values?

3.94-6.06 V

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 14

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for voltage, with a DMM.

3.94-6.06 V

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 16

Measure the resistance between the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit and the APP sensor 1 low reference circuit, with a DMM.

Does the DMM indicate resistance within the specified values?

0-5 ohms

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 19
  1. Disconnect the TAC module harness connector containing the APP sensor circuits.
  2. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 10

Test for a short between the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit and all other APP circuits at the APP sensor harness connector. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 11

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 12

Test for a short between the APP sensor 3 signal circuit and all other APP circuits at the APP sensor harness connector. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 13

Test the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit for resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 20
  2. Disconnect the TAC module harness connector containing the APP sensor circuits.
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 15

Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 21
  2. Disconnect the TAC module harness connector containing the APP sensor circuits.
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 17

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 18

Test for a short between the APP sensor 3 signal circuit and all other APP circuits at the APP sensor harness connector. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 19
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 21

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the APP sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 22

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connectors of the TAC module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 23

Replace the APP sensor assembly. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 24

--

Replace the TAC module. Refer to Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Replacement .

--

Go to Step 24

--
  1. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze/Frame Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Step 25

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?

--

System OK

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 07-10-2021 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ufso (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
Hi Gerry,
Been a long time since I have been to the "block" runs. Don't usually come in this part of the forum all that much, but I saw this post and was curious of the issue you are having. Looking at the service manual for code P2130 it seems to also throw P2131 with it. The other code P1125 will set with those codes too if it sees an issue between the 3 APP sensors. They need to be within 13% of each other.
Looking at these codes one thing keeps standing out. APP 3 seems to be the issue that throws these codes. There are 3 wires associated with APP 3. There is a 5-volt reference, a low reference, and the APP signal itself. So the issue with these codes seems to be because of the APP 3 power, ground, or signal. I assume it throws the reduced engine power message when this happens. Question, do you lose all or just most of the throttle when this happens? I see you have replaced a lot of parts but have not touched the TAC module yet. It could be the TAC module needs to be replaced or it could be a problem in the wiring, or just needs to be reset. One thing to test before swapping out the TAC module would be to pull the connector (C1) off of the TAC and inspect for corrosion or an open in one of the pins. That module sits below the battery just like the PCM does so corrosion could be an issue. I am adding a list of info below for your reading if you wish. The pins I am curious about are pins A, E, K on connector C1 of the TAC. Those are the pins to APP 3.

The air filter issue I'm not sure if that is causing any issue. If you are getting more air in than what the car expects it will usually throw a P1514 code. Putting on the stock air filter or adjusting the values in the tune would fix that problem if it did throw that code. So if you are not seeing that code then your air filter should be fine. Also seems like you are not throwing any lean codes because of it either.

Here is some reading info. Going to add the P2130 diagnostics info.
Hope this can be of some use to you.

Connector Part Information
  • 10-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series (BLK)
Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

GRY

Low Reference

B

PPL

Low Reference

C

LT BLU

APP Sensor 2 Signal

D

TAN

5-Volt Reference

E

YEL/BLK

5-Volt Reference

F

DK BLU

APP Sensor 1 Signal

G

LT BLU

5-Volt Reference

H

Not Used

J

BRN

Low Reference

K

DK GRN

APP Sensor 3 Signal

DTC P2131
Circuit Description
The accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor is mounted on the accelerator pedal assembly. The sensor is actually 3 individual APP sensors within 1 housing. Three separate signal, low reference and 5-volt reference circuits connect the APP sensor assembly and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module. Each sensor has a unique functionality. The APP sensor 1 signal increases as the accelerator pedal is depressed, from below 1 volt at 0 percent pedal travel, with the pedal at rest, to above 2 volts at 100 percent pedal travel, with the pedal fully depressed. The APP sensor 2 signal decreases from above 4 volts at 0 percent pedal travel to below 2.9 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. The APP sensor 3 signal decreases from around 3.8 volts at 0 percent pedal travel to below 3.1 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. Notice that the signal circuits for APP sensor 2 and APP sensor 3 pull up to 5 volts and the APP sensor 1 signal circuit is referenced to low reference within the TAC module.
Conditions for Running the DTC
  • DTCs P0606, P2108, or U0107 are not set.
  • The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
  • The ignition voltage is greater than 5.23 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
  • APP sensor 3 disagrees with APP sensor 1 by more than 13 percent and APP sensor 3 disagrees with APP sensor 2 by more than 13 percent.
  • All of the above conditions are present for less than 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records.
  • If one or more APP sensor DTCs are set for a single APP sensor, the following occurs:
    • The control module will not command Reduced Engine Power mode.
    • The control module will use the remaining two APP sensors to calculate throttle response.
  • If certain multiple APP sensor DTCs are set for more than one APP sensor, the following occurs:
    • The APP indicated angle is limited to a predetermined value to limit the amount of throttle control.
  • If all three APP sensors are out of range, the following occurs:
    • The APP indicated angle is limited to 0 percent. The control module only allows the engine to idle.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
  • A current DTC Last Test Failed clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
  • Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. When water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs could be set with no DTC circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
  • When the TAC module detects throttle movement with a DTC P2130 set, a DTC P2131 also sets.
  • For an intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.
    • This step determines if a communication condition exists.
    • This step isolates an internal APP sensor failure. The condition may only occur at a certain accelerator pedal position. Monitoring the APP angles for sensor 1 and sensor 2 is an accurate way of verifying the actual position of the pedal. The APP angles for all 3 sensors should be within a few percent of each other. When the pedal is at rest, the APP angle for all 3 sensors should be 0 percent. When the pedal is fully depressed, all APP angles should be 100 percent.
    • The APP sensor 3 has a dedicated 5-volt reference circuit. Monitoring the APP sensor 1 voltage aids in diagnosing the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit. If the scan tool displays 5 volts then the circuits are OK.
Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector End Views , , or Engine Controls Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Is DTC U0107 also set?

--

Go to DTC U0107

Go to Step 3

Important

Do not depress the accelerator pedal.
  1. Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Observe the DTC Info with a scan tool.
Did any other throttle actuator control (TAC) module or accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor DTCs set except DTC P1125?

--

Go to Step 4

Observe the APP sensor Agree/Disagree parameters, with a scan tool.

Does the scan tool indicate Disagree for any of the APP sensor Agree/Disagree parameters?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 5
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the APP sensor angles for all 3 APP sensors.
  3. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal, stopping at 25, 50, 75, and 99 percent.
  4. Slowly release the accelerator pedal, stopping at 75, 50, 25, and 0 percent.
Does the scan tool indicate that the APP sensor 3 angle is within 13 percent of both APP sensor 1 and sensor 2 angles?

--

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Go to Step 6
  2. Disconnect the APP sensor harness connector.
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for voltage, with a DMM.

3.94-6.06 V

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 14

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for voltage, with a DMM.

3.94-6.06 V

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 16

Measure the resistance between the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit and the APP sensor 1 low reference circuit, with a DMM.

Does the DMM indicate resistance within the specified values?

0-5 ohms

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 19
  1. Disconnect the TAC module harness connector containing the APP sensor circuits.
  2. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 10

Test for a short between the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit and all other APP circuits at the APP sensor harness connector. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 11

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 12

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 13

Test the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit for resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 20
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 15

Test the APP sensor 3 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 21
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 17

Test the APP sensor 3 signal circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 18

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 19
  3. Test the APP sensor 3 low reference circuit for an open or for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 21

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the APP sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 22

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connectors of the TAC module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 23

Replace the APP sensor assembly. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor Replacement .

--

Go to Step 24

--

Replace the TAC module. Refer to Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Replacement .

--

Go to Step 24

--
  1. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze/Frame Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Step 25

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?

--

System OK
Wow! This is what I need is someone who understands a procedure to find the CAUSE of the failure in this system. I’ve read this in its entirety. Now I’m pretty good at figuring things out but this is a step above even for me. I need someone in Orange County that I can pay to do the proper diagnostics on this car. I’ve replaced enough parts just chasing symptoms.
Thank you for your help with this information, RedriderZR1. Are you available to dx this car?
Old 07-14-2021, 05:28 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Wow! This is what I need is someone who understands a procedure to find the CAUSE of the failure in this system. I’ve read this in its entirety. Now I’m pretty good at figuring things out but this is a step above even for me. I need someone in Orange County that I can pay to do the proper diagnostics on this car. I’ve replaced enough parts just chasing symptoms.
Thank you for your help with this information, RedriderZR1. Are you available to dx this car?
I do have a TECH2 so I can hook it up and see what is going on. Let me know.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:49 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
I do have a TECH2 so I can hook it up and see what is going on. Let me know.
Thanks, I’ll check with you when I get back from the Black Hills Corvette show in South Dakota.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:50 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it appears that the saga of "Limp Mode" has come to an end. Last Sunday I spent the afternoon with SilverC54me, Gary. He has a Tech 2 scanner and he proceeded to start checking voltages on the pedal position sensor. One of the voltages was incorrect and inconsistent. He then switched out the pedal position sensor for one that he know works. This helped a little but still inconsistent voltages. As he was looking under the dash he noticed that some wires had been "spliced" in. He had an a-ha moment. After further checking the TAC wiring harness he could see further "splicing". Gary then replaced the wiring harness, with the help of Brian, from the TAC to the pedal position sensor seems to have solved the problem of someone else's hatchet job at a fix. I can't thank Gary and Brian enough and RedRiderZR1 for his technical submission. I have driven the car several times a day since then with no "limp mode" or "check engine" light. I'm gaining confidence in the car again.
This Forum can be a valuable tool from the members that belong to it. After running out of things to replace I threw up the white flag and several members had good suggestions and I appreciate you all.
See you on the road!
Doc
The following 3 users liked this post by GLmajer:
Olitho (07-29-2021), SilverC54me (07-29-2021), ufso (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

When finding the multiple splices in the battery area on the harness and testing the continuity between the connector ends and seeing inconsistencies that just about made it definitive that the prior splices were not good.
Ran a shielded cable from the TAC module to the pedal splicing the original connectors on to the new wire.

Glad it is working for you.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
ufso (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Quick Reply: C5 vette "limp mode" help