Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Bottom-feeding Corvettes

So.....with the fires in the San Gabriel Mountains, and elsewhere across California and most of the rest of the western states, I'm sure all (locally) have noted all the soot & ash falling from the skies. With my leaf blower, I cleaned my driveway recently, and got enough I swept up, to fill a couple inches in a bucket. Cars driving around create their own little 'cloud of dust' like Pigpen, in the old Charlie Brown cartoons.
Is there any need to be concerned about driving our 'bottom-feeding' Corvettes around while this condition exists? Every car, including my own (3) are covered with ash, and I woke up thinking about my supercharged C5 sucking that 'stuff' into the engine.....

Any thoughts on this.....?
Don

Old 09-13-2020, 01:14 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Inspect/clean/replace your air filter on a routine basis, and I don't think there's much to worry about. That's why it's there.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:17 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Inspect/clean/replace your air filter on a routine basis, and I don't think there's much to worry about. That's why it's there.
But....it depends on how much you drive your car as to how often you need to check the air filter in that bad environment. A few years ago, we had bad fires that caused most of us to evacuate. The ash filled up our air filters within a month of daily driving. One guy in our office did not change his cabin air filter in his Honda Pilot for over a year. When he finally did it looked someone filled it with ash from his BBQ!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 09-14-2020 at 01:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skyavonee (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:12 PM
jmaci
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Right, after all the ash this last weekend. I ordered new filters for all my cars this morning. will replace when this mess is over.
donald4972 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:14 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

If you want to hold off putting new filters in until the fires are taken care of you can pull them and clean them with a shop vac. Worked great for me. Just be very careful with cabin air filter. It might try to enter the vac. (Ask me how I know)?
donald4972 (09-19-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Bottom-feeding Corvettes

Quick Reply: Bottom-feeding Corvettes