Southern California Southern California

AutoX: POC- ElToro-Not Great !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default AutoX: POC- ElToro-Not Great !!!

This was my next to best run of day in practice. Best 56.1 did not record which was only 2 seconds behind fastest cars. Timed runs was off a second and best run ended up losing it on one turn

This is how the day started .......... first run!!

Then my car broke down on way home and had to have it towed ........... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH

Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd like to join in the next one... do you have the schedule?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by imflyinbiya
Check out Motorsportreg.com and filter for Autocross.
Next one I'm going to is Dec 7

DH
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 AM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of these days I'll do an AutoX again.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by imflyinbiya
This event was the Porsche Owner's Club. They are friendly to non-Porsche drivers at their events. They currently run most of their events on the old El Toro runway (or what little is left of it). We usually have at least 4 or 5 Vettes each month (Ron, James, Keith, Howie, Bill, Hoi and myself....7 this last event).

http://poclive.com/ for schedule and registration links.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

DH: Sorry to hear the car broke. Hope all is fixed now.

Your spin video perfectly illustrates a Corvette characteristic that I keep trying to explain to autocross course designers. They typically leave a bunch of space on the outside those tank slapper type of turns ("for the Corvette guys") and leave nothing or plant a course worker on the inside. I keep telling them that we typically spin towards the inside on those. I've done it myself a couple of times (and my car has been in the weeds twice with miles of space on the outside, but little on the inside). My theory (and I'm by no means an expert) is that we (Corvette drivers) will charge into those corners, brake hard (digging the nose in), start to turn in (starting the rotation), then we either turn too hard or hop back on the gas too hard with little weight on the back wheels (thus removing all grip in the back end) and around you go. The dug in front wheels have grip and this ends up "slinging" the car around to the inside (or at a minimum in a straighter line direction), not to the outside. This is just a theory, but I've watched it happen to a number of Corvette drivers in the past. From your video, I think you even made it through the next gate....which was at least 30 degrees to the inside of the direction of travel before the spin turn.

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 11-21-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
DH: Sorry to hear the car broke. Hope all is fixed now.

Your spin video perfectly illustrates a Corvette characteristic that I keep trying to explain to autocross course designers. They typically leave a bunch of space on the outside those tank slapper type of turns ("for the Corvette guys") and leave nothing or plant a course worker on the inside. I keep telling them that we typically spin towards the inside on those. I've done it myself a couple of times (and my car has been in the weeds twice with miles of space on the outside, but little on the inside). My theory (and I'm by no means an expert) is that we (Corvette drivers) will charge into those corners, brake hard (digging the nose in), start to turn in (starting the rotation), then we either turn too hard or hop back on the gas too hard with little weight on the back wheels (thus removing all grip in the back end) and around you go. The dug in front wheels have grip and this ends up "slinging" the car around to the inside (or at a minimum in a straighter line direction), not to the outside. This is just a theory, but I've watched it happen to a number of Corvette drivers in the past. From your video, I think you even made it through the next gate....which was at least 30 degrees to the inside of the direction of travel before the spin turn.
Good analysis Randy. This was the first run of the day so tires were cold and I didn't appreciate the angle of attack on this section. I gradually became more confident and was getting on the gas correctly ........... I think. You can't see my frantic steering input but you can see I hit the windshield washer lever .................thought I was going off for sure but somehow I got lucky

Need a new clutch and all the other suff that goes with that

DH

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX: POC- ElToro-Not Great !!!

Quick Reply: AutoX: POC- ElToro-Not Great !!!