Southern California Southern California

Corvette Challenge #7 @ BWRP: July 26 !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I'll be there, RED/UNLIMITED. Should be a good day, the track will be freshly repaved and we are the first group to try it out.
Got ya Rob. Where do you think the new pavement will make the biggest difference?

DH
Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what type of car you're driving, and how tightly sprung your suspension springs are. But for me the biggest differences will be the cotton corners and the (hopefully) the removal of that roughness between the Bus Stop and Riverside. We will also all benefit by being able to put down a lot more power coming out of the Buttonhook. I'm hoping that once you clear the apex there you will be able to put the pedal to the floor in 2nd and still keep the tail of the car pointed in the right direction, shifting to third right after you ride the curb exiting wide on the left side.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Got ya Rob. Where do you think the new pavement will make the biggest difference?

DH
Old 07-16-2014, 03:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Depends what type of car you're driving, and how tightly sprung your suspension springs are. But for me the biggest differences will be the cotton corners and the (hopefully) the removal of that roughness between the Bus Stop and Riverside. We will also all benefit by being able to put down a lot more power coming out of the Buttonhook. I'm hoping that once you clear the apex there you will be able to put the pedal to the floor in 2nd and still keep the tail of the car pointed in the right direction, shifting to third right after you ride the curb exiting wide on the left side.
Do you know if candy stripes will be repainted? Do you think they will add any higher burms like they did at ACS last year?

DH
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Do you know if candy stripes will be repainted? Do you think they will add any higher burms like they did at ACS last year?

DH
I don't know, it would be a good idea but I haven't heard anything like that. It would be nice if they repainted them with some fresh paint/sand mix (or completely redid some of them).
Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

Do you have a Go-Pro or the like? My AIM Solo DL arrived today, hopefully my Go-Pro will show up in a few days. If so, perhaps we can grid at the same time and catch a little video of each other?

This is my first time at BW, so it'll be slow-going the first session while I learn the line. You'll get some good passing video

Sure do, and so does Bill. Sounds like a plan. Look for Yellow #927 or Black #321.

Last time Bill caught some footage of me driving through a dust cloud he created! Looking forward to heading back to BW.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DH
DH,

New curbs are being poured so new candy stripes.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...type=1&theater
Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like they added several inches of ashphalt so when you go off track it will be like going off a tall curb now. Getting back on track will be a bit more challenging if you are running a splitter.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by skxf430
DH,

Awesome!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DH
Man, I am bummed that I cannot make it. The track should be fast and I would think most will set personnel best times as long as it is not 120 degrees.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Looks like they added several inches of ashphalt so when you go off track it will be like going off a tall curb now. Getting back on track will be a bit more challenging if you are running a splitter.

BRP does the best trackside maintenance of any track in SoCal and even NorCal, too.

Before every race they groom the edge of the track to pack the dirt even with the asphalt level. I bet they do the same with the new track. The worst part is the soft silt dirt that dusts up so bad.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm back...

Mod Green....and slow as always. ..or not who knows. ...
Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
Sure do, and so does Bill. Sounds like a plan. Look for Yellow #927 or Black #321.

Last time Bill caught some footage of me driving through a dust cloud he created! Looking forward to heading back to BW.
Will do. Unfortunately it looks like my Go-Pro won't be with me. Ordered a new black edition last week and just got an email that it's back-ordered until August 1st

My car is black, #8
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Will do. Unfortunately it looks like my Go-Pro won't be with me. Ordered a new black edition last week and just got an email that it's back-ordered until August 1st

My car is black, #8

If you have the Solo, consider buying an AIM Smartycam HD. There is no synching of video and data. Just pop out the MicroSD card and watch highly quality video and onscreen data.

I don't know about you, but I am too busy and too impatient to spend 15 minutes each time and synch stuff. Most of the time I am at the track, I jump out of the car after qualifying or a session and if there is something important for me to review I want to pop the MicroSD card and watch it NOW.

I have both SoloDL with SmartyCam and a Racekeeper system in my race car. Very redundant, but I can compare data with other drivers with both, look at richer data from the engine on the Racekeeper, etc. I don't need, but like the redundancy of the two systems in case there is a racing dispute. Once in a while one camera shuts off or does not start or I forget a memory card, etc.

Last edited by Olitho; 07-17-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

DH,

Thanks

Interesting how they note what the real purpose is of the curbing

DH
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Olitho
BRP does the best trackside maintenance of any track in SoCal and even NorCal, too.

Before every race they groom the edge of the track to pack the dirt even with the asphalt level. I bet they do the same with the new track. The worst part is the soft silt dirt that dusts up so bad.
Good info

DH
Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NTNFGRP
I'm back...

Mod Green....and slow as always. ..or not who knows. ...
Nick

Your up and I'm glad the Mods finally came to their senses

DH
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

9 DAYS TO GO !!

WEATHER: 87* VERY WARM WITH SUNSHINE !!!!!!!

FREE 2014 CORVETTE CHALLENGE SHIRTS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE TRACK !!

FREE LUNCH FOR ALL DRIVERS !!

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenge #7 @ BWRP: July 26 !!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Originally Posted by Olitho
If you have the Solo, consider buying an AIM Smartycam HD. There is no synching of video and data. Just pop out the MicroSD card and watch highly quality video and onscreen data.

I don't know about you, but I am too busy and too impatient to spend 15 minutes each time and synch stuff. Most of the time I am at the track, I jump out of the car after qualifying or a session and if there is something important for me to review I want to pop the MicroSD card and watch it NOW.

I have both SoloDL with SmartyCam and a Racekeeper system in my race car. Very redundant, but I can compare data with other drivers with both, look at richer data from the engine on the Racekeeper, etc. I don't need, but like the redundancy of the two systems in case there is a racing dispute. Once in a while one camera shuts off or does not start or I forget a memory card, etc.

If I had it to do over again, I would go the SmartyCam / Solo DL route. Instead I went the GoPro / GTech RR route. Even with the latest firmware and recommended memory card, my GoPro sometimes gives me out of sync audio and video direct from the GoPro! I haven't met anyone else with that issue, so maybe I'm just lucky. I have upgraded to the Aim Solo DL and will eventually get the SmartyCam.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

OK Howie, I'm signed up RED, Ultimate...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
OK Howie, I'm signed up RED, Ultimate...
Great Joel

DH

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenge #7 @ BWRP: July 26 !!