Southern California Southern California

CMS turned my LSX454 in to an alcohol drinking fire breathing sumbich!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Truedat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
I do not see how you are doing this since the PCM has no idea what the AFR is. You have to have a wideband on it and talking to the PCM at once and that cant happen. SO you are talking about high and low octane tables which has nothing to do with knowing if the car is on e85 or not but just setting it to switch to higher timing tables if it senses no KR which would be because of the e85. My car does have this set already by my tuner. So if I am not running torco it will switch to the lower timing tables because of the KR. Really you need to be tuning on the fuel you are going to bring. There is only one VE and MAF table and everything is adjusting by KR. My tuner went over this in detail with me.
Lol are you saying that you let your pcm go into the low octane table by purposely inducing knock by not putting torco in?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh man, I should have never looked in this thread, all I need is more mod temptation.

Dare I ask, what kind of mileage on a 454 with ETOH?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:05 AM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Awesome engine build. I live in Huntington Beach, and there are more and more gas stations now offering E85. I definitely will see Ryne for my next engine build.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:21 PM
glhs422
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great posts from Ryne in this thread.

I've been hearing more and more about the flex fuel for gasoline/E85 combos, and it sounds like an AWESOME option, especially in a place like SoCal, where the E85 stations aren't as plentiful as they are in other places.

Props to CMS for offering this setup to their customers.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
you're right they do not have wide band o2 sensors. However when i say "flex-fuel" i mean we are integrating a flex fuel sensor in the fuel system and wiring it to the pcm. in real time it will know what the ethanol is. In the factory Stoich. table the pcm has various stoichiometric values for various levels of ethanol content. for example lets say e10 stoich (most pump gas is ) is 14.1:1 roughly , then e85 is 9.75:1... the pcm has these known values and everywhere in between these values. So if the content is 30% or 50% or 90% ethanol, the computer knows the stoich value in real time. Now you can program how aggressively the computer goes into "alcohol" wot fueling and timing... for example i generally have it do a 50% blend of pump gas timing/fueling and e85 timing/fueling at roughly 50% ethanol content, then once it reaches 70+% ethanol content i go to full "alcohol" timing/fueling.... i had a 2010 cts-v on the dyno with a mild cam and a pulley. We set it up on flex fuel. It made 545 rwhp on pump gas, and 625 rwhp on e85, only change made was adding e85 to the tank, and waiting for the e85 to circulate into the fuel system thoroughly... there are a bunch tables already dedicated to these functions in the pcm... most tuners overlook them or have no idea how or what they do..... i know of only two tuners in socal (including myself) actively doing flex fuel right now, obviously yours isn't one of them. (no offense)
Whoa! I guess I'll need this in my new build!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Oh man, I should have never looked in this thread, all I need is more mod temptation.

Dare I ask, what kind of mileage on a 454 with ETOH?
Oh, about 9 mpg. Luckily, on days I decide to take this thing to work, there is an E85 pump close to my house and close to my work.

Can you say SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK/SLURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
you're right they do not have wide band o2 sensors. However when i say "flex-fuel" i mean we are integrating a flex fuel sensor in the fuel system and wiring it to the pcm. in real time it will know what the ethanol is. In the factory Stoich. table the pcm has various stoichiometric values for various levels of ethanol content. for example lets say e10 stoich (most pump gas is ) is 14.1:1 roughly , then e85 is 9.75:1... the pcm has these known values and everywhere in between these values. So if the content is 30% or 50% or 90% ethanol, the computer knows the stoich value in real time. Now you can program how aggressively the computer goes into "alcohol" wot fueling and timing... for example i generally have it do a 50% blend of pump gas timing/fueling and e85 timing/fueling at roughly 50% ethanol content, then once it reaches 70+% ethanol content i go to full "alcohol" timing/fueling.... i had a 2010 cts-v on the dyno with a mild cam and a pulley. We set it up on flex fuel. It made 545 rwhp on pump gas, and 625 rwhp on e85, only change made was adding e85 to the tank, and waiting for the e85 to circulate into the fuel system thoroughly... there are a bunch tables already dedicated to these functions in the pcm.
That is interesting
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This is fascinating, I never considered E85 for my heads/ cam build, but there is a station in town that is very close by. I just emailed Ryne about my build, I'll have to talk to him at length when I actually go down there. My last build was a Coyote 5.0 into a fox, I could switch tunes with the SCT handheld quite quickly to go back and forth between E85 and 91, but it wasn't a true "flex fuel" setup. The car did pickup 2mph from E85 alone, n/a.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
2014BlkVette
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I really, really, really need to make my way over to CMS one day! I've heard nothing but good things about them. Congrats, sounds like a real sumbich!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014BlkVette
I really, really, really need to make my way over to CMS one day! I've heard nothing but good things about them. Congrats, sounds like a real sumbich!

I had my car tuned approx. 12 months ago by Ryne for a reliable
track car. Ryne certainly deserves his reputation as an excellent
tuner !

Quick Reply: CMS turned my LSX454 in to an alcohol drinking fire breathing sumbich!