CARB Legal (Smog Passable) Parts for LS2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
LinxuSx
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CARB Legal (Smog Passable) Parts for LS2

Hi Guys,

I'm moving to LA in April and bringing the C6 vette with me. Sadly, I'm thinking I'll need to remove my B&B Headers and the LG G5X3 CAM since there's no way in hell those will pass smog. What parts will pass smog and keep me out of trouble? I'm mainly looking for exhaust (headers, and cat-back), CAM and intake.

I've ready that shorty headers with stock cats will pass, and some CAMs will pass even if they're not CARB legal. Anyone have any input here?

Last edited by LinxuSx; 03-26-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Shorty headers will pass if CARB approved, exhaust shouldn't be a problem. Cold Air Intake needs to be approved as well. The cam is a crap shoot, but if you try to pass it and fail too badly you'll go onto a list that requires a more stringent review.

Welcome to smog check hell.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My advice...keep it registered in TX for as long as you can. If it's not a DD, you can probably get away with that for years. If you are going to DD it, that you need to find a "friendly" smog shop or make some major changes to your car. Most shorty's won't pass and any cam with more overlap than stock will be too dirty to pass. Good Luck and welcome to CA
Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

A&A supercharger.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32
A&A supercharger.

Long tubes will never pass the visual. Like Blue Blood said CARB approved shorties will be okay. But are only good for about 10 rwhp. The cam is hidden but if you can't pass the sniffer. There is no smog legal camshaft. Just cams that don't exceed emission parameters. We are about to start a new smog test which is plug in only called STAR. Nobody knows how it will react to a tune. I would be careful about installing a aftermarket cam.

A&A Corvettes supercharger kit is CARB legal. Call A&A they area sponsor of the C5 forced Induction section.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood

Welcome to smog check hell.
That's exactly what it is out here... Ridiculous
Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Welcome to the area. Just to give you a little insight into the why of the smog laws, the CAlifornia slant is probably new to you.

Smog used to be way worse, it was very bad back when California started to legislate against pollution, , but even today in the San Fernando Valley, a child raised in that area will have permanent lung damage by the age of eight.

Perhaps that will make the change over easier to take. Sometimes posters here act like the local government is just making this stuff up for no other reason than to give them a hard time.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
jochumr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider

Long tubes will never pass the visual. Like Blue Blood said CARB approved shorties will be okay. But are only good for about 10 rwhp. The cam is hidden but if you can't pass the sniffer. There is no smog legal camshaft. Just cams that don't exceed emission parameters. We are about to start a new smog test which is plug in only called STAR. Nobody knows how it will react to a tune. I would be careful about installing a aftermarket cam.

A&A Corvettes supercharger kit is CARB legal. Call A&A they area sponsor of the C5 forced Induction section.
The STAR inspection is still plug and sniff. The visual is very strict ... if its not factory or listed on the CARB approved list then you wont get passed. The air intake only checks from the MAF to the throttle .. air filters aren't the issue. Just got STAR Inspected. The catch can was questioned but the rules allow for oil separators ... but make sure you use black gasoline hose only.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jochumr
The STAR inspection is still plug and sniff.
Did they put your car on a dyno?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jochumr
The STAR inspection is still plug and sniff. The visual is very strict ... if its not factory or listed on the CARB approved list then you wont get passed. The air intake only checks from the MAF to the throttle .. air filters aren't the issue. Just got STAR Inspected. The catch can was questioned but the rules allow for oil separators ... but make sure you use black gasoline hose only.
The big question I have is how closely do they look at the CARB approved list? Do they actually verify if the CARB EO # coordinates with the make and year of car? I did a pretest and passed with flying colors. But it wasn't a STAR station.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Welcome to the area. Just to give you a little insight into the why of the smog laws, the CAlifornia slant is probably new to you.

Smog used to be way worse, it was very bad back when California started to legislate against pollution, , but even today in the San Fernando Valley, a child raised in that area will have permanent lung damage by the age of eight.

Perhaps that will make the change over easier to take. Sometimes posters here act like the local government is just making this stuff up for no other reason than to give them a hard time.

I understand, but I just would happy if they stop doing the visual tests and aftermarket parts restrictions.
It it passes on the dyno, then it passes period.

The big question I have is how closely do they look at the CARB approved list? Do they actually verify if the CARB EO # coordinates with the make and year of car? I did a pretest and passed with flying colors. But it wasn't a STAR station.
You only need to go to a star station if they tell you on the form you get mailed.
Any smog test station can/will fail you for non-compliant aftermarket parts if they "notice", it's all about how much effort the tester puts in.

Last edited by dagon138; 03-31-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

I did a pretest and passed with flying colors. But it wasn't a STAR station.
Just a point of caution for those that may not be aware, a pre-test still reports to DMV.

Get notified of new replies

To CARB Legal (Smog Passable) Parts for LS2

Quick Reply: CARB Legal (Smog Passable) Parts for LS2