Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Jay K
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Fantastic XXXVII - San Diego, CA

May 18, 2014 - 37th Annual Plastic Fantastic
The Oldest and Largest All Corvette Car Show in the Southwest
Sunday, 5/18/14 from 7am to 2pm at Embarcadero Park North at Seaport Village in Downtown San Diego, California
Music, Vendors, Raffles, Food and More
Dash Plaques and Goodies to first 300 Entries
$30 Entry Fee
Info and Registration Forms: www.ncocc.com
Presented by North County Corvette Club and Benefitting the USO
Attached Images
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay K
Sunday, 5/18/14 from 7am to 2pm at Embarcadero Park North at Seaport Village in Downtown San Diego, California
$30 Entry Fee
Yes...did this event last year, and the classification of the Corvettes left a lot to be desired. I entered my 69 Corvette in the C3 class, had to settle for second place, because they let a 69 Corvette 8-door Limo in our class and it won first place...REALLY?? what else will they put in the C3 class...this year?... a Corvette Monster Truck! There were a lot of sharp Corvettes in the C3 class and all these guy put a lot of time and money in their cars and expected them to be appreciated...and the judging turned into a Joke...
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter
Yes...did this event last year, and the classification of the Corvettes left a lot to be desired. I entered my 69 Corvette in the C3 class, had to settle for second place, because they let a 69 Corvette 8-door Limo in our class and it won first place...REALLY?? what else will they put in the C3 class...this year?... a Corvette Monster Truck! There were a lot of sharp Corvettes in the C3 class and all these guy put a lot of time and money in their cars and expected them to be appreciated...and the judging turned into a Joke...
I would be just as mad if I was in your shoes when it came to the judging. Hopefully this year they judge accordingly! Jay
Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Planning on it!

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter
Ok. Car show 101. I am a member of North County Corvette Club. I've been a member for over 5 years. In that time, Plastic Fantastic has never been a judged event. It is a Peoples Choice car show. For Vintagevetter, that means that the people attending the show vote on who they like best in any given class. In this case, the people liked the limo Vette more than they liked yours and voted accordingly. We simply added up the votes per car and gave the awards accordingly. We are completely impartial. If you would have voted last year, you'd know this. Should we lie and award who we think should win? I don't think so.

We put all C3's in together. It makes it easy for us to tally up the votes. Custom or not, all generations are lumped together. My C3 has over 50k in mods. It's voted on right next to your 69. Generally, car guys like modded cars over stock cars and they vote that way. At least that's been my experience.

In addition, our cars are display only. We don't except any votes for our club cars.

All of this is written clearly on the show form. Before you bash, please make sure you have your facts straight. This year again, it's a "peoples choice" event.

We are on track for another year of 300 plus cars. It's going to be a great day.

Last edited by vetten76; 03-15-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
Ok. Car show 101. I am a member of North County Corvette Club. I've been a member for over 5 years. In that time, Plastic Fantastic has never been a judged event. It is a Peoples Choice car show. For Vintagevetter, that means that the people attending the show vote on who they like best in any given class. In this case, the people liked the limo Vette more than they liked yours and voted accordingly. We simply added up the votes per car and gave the awards accordingly. We are completely impartial. If you would have voted last year, you'd know this. Should we lie and award who we think should win? I don't think so.

We put all C3's in together. It makes it easy for us to tally up the votes. Custom or not, all generations are lumped together. My C3 has over 50k in mods. It's voted on right next to your 69. Generally, car guys like modded cars over stock cars and they vote that way. At least that's been my experience.

In addition, our cars are display only. We don't except any votes for our club cars.

All of this is written clearly on the show form. Before you bash, please make sure you have your facts straight. This year again, it's a "peoples choice" event.

We are on track for another year of 300 plus cars. It's going to be a great day.
I've attended this show for years and think it is one of the best "Peoples Choice" car shows around. I'll be there again this year. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 AM
stryderss
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Love me a peoples choice show and not a bias judge show LOL. will go to have a look around but wouldn't want to enter my Vette its not up to snuff yet.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by stryderss
Love me a peoples choice show and not a bias judge show LOL. will go to have a look around but wouldn't want to enter my Vette its not up to snuff yet.
You are always welcome to come display. Not every car is a show winner. My C3 was painted 18 years ago. She's a good solid driver. Besides, driving into the show gives you the best parking spot at Sea Port Village! Bring a chair and kick back with all the new friends you'll make.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by GLmajer
I've attended this show for years and think it is one of the best "Peoples Choice" car shows around. I'll be there again this year. Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much. We have a very cool giveaway for the first 300 cars this year. Worth the price of admission!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

You are always welcome to come display. Not every car is a show winner. My C3 was painted 18 years ago. She's a good solid driver. Besides, driving into the show gives you the best parking spot at Sea Port Village! Bring a chair and kick back with all the new friends you'll make.
Sea Port Village is a nice place to visit in of itself ... add 300+ Corvettes ... and it's a gearhead paradise

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I have gone to this for years...as a spectator...without a Vette. Not this year!!! I'm signed up and can't wait. I won't win anything but who cares?! If you have never been, it is a beautiful atmosphere.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I fully understand its a People's Choice awards..I have no problem with that. And yes..I understand that stock and modified Corvettes are lumped together in the same class, no problem with that either. However, Corvettes are "sports cars", 2-seater, high performance automobiles But you are going to put a stretched 8-door Limo in that class? REALLY ???
I suspect the reason for not having a "Novelty" class for vehicles like this, is that you save the price of another trophy.

I have attended Plastic Fantastic for the last 10 years as a spectator, and last year I decided to enter my Corvette as I felt it was a worthy addition to the show. I would have had no problem having any of the other "real" C3's winning the awards, because there were some sharp looking cars there. But the fiasco of the Limo being put in the C3 class
plus the show staff not seeing anything wrong with that, and defending their actions...makes the event lose all creditability I'm not the only one who feels this way. After last year's show I talked with other Corvette owners who have attended the show..and I told them what happened...there response was...."WTF" I think that says it all.
There is no sense beating a dead horse, so I will end my rant.. there are more important things to worry about in life.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay K
$30 Entry Fee
I went for the first time last year and thought the event and the people were great. I drove down from Las Vegas in a Honda CRV, as we had company in town and they tagged along. THAT WILL CHANGE FOR 2014! I'll be taking the 07 coupe, and if they wanna go, I'm trying they up with a rope and dragging them to SD!

Seriously, North County put on a good sho w you
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,228 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
Sea Port Village is a nice place to visit in of itself ... add 300+ Corvettes ... and it's a gearhead paradise

Great pics ,some day I will attend this great event. The last four years I attended my local car show here in Chino Hills great local event.Very Small compared to Sea port Village.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I've attended in the past, and enjoyed it as a spectator.

This year I have registered my 'rolling restoration' '61. This is my late Father's original owner car. I don't plan to win anything. I just hope to be around lots of Vettes and Vette people. I would not participate if it were a formally judged show.

See you all there!

Fred
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I've attended/entered a lot of car shows in Southern California. Embarcadero Park is my all-time favorite venue.

And bring a good camera. Lots of places to pose your car for nice pictures.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Looking forward to this show. Can't beat San Diego Bay!

As far as trophies, I've been going to car shows for over 40 years. Peoples Choice always means nothing to me. It is usually some gaudy flashy paint chromed up crap box that wins because they are picked by non-car people.

If they has a Participants Choice award, that would mean something. Admiration of your car/work by your peers always means more than a bunch of Joe Shmoes off the street.

I don't know if they had other categories beside Peoples Choice or not and if not, not sure why they would bother with only a Peoples Choice. Personally, I don't care about trophies anyway. I go to shows to look at the cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic Fantastic XXXVII - San Diego, CA

Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDVette
I've attended in the past, and enjoyed it as a spectator.

This year I have registered my 'rolling restoration' '61. This is my late Father's original owner car. I don't plan to win anything. I just hope to be around lots of Vettes and Vette people. I would not participate if it were a formally judged show.

See you all there!

Fred
Really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your dad's car. I'm keeping my C3 in the family as well. Hell, I've too much invested in it to sell! I love the concept that my boys will enjoy what I've done then add their own twist to the car. Great stuff....
Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Looking forward to this show. Can't beat San Diego Bay!

As far as trophies, I've been going to car shows for over 40 years. Peoples Choice always means nothing to me. It is usually some gaudy flashy paint chromed up crap box that wins because they are picked by non-car people.

If they has a Participants Choice award, that would mean something. Admiration of your car/work by your peers always means more than a bunch of Joe Shmoes off the street.

I don't know if they had other categories beside Peoples Choice or not and if not, not sure why they would bother with only a Peoples Choice. Personally, I don't care about trophies anyway. I go to shows to look at the cars.

The only folks voting are participants. The general public does not have access to ballets. The ballets are in the envelope you're handed on the way in. If you re-read our flyer, no where does it say "people's choice". It says participants choice. I did refer to it as a peoples choice in an earlier posting. I was wrong. It's participants choice. Lol. Whatever ya call it, it's a fun day for all.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cheech Wizard
I've attended/entered a lot of car shows in Southern California. Embarcadero Park is my all-time favorite venue.

And bring a good camera. Lots of places to pose your car for nice pictures.

I remember this car. C5's will always have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I killed mine last year....... Looking forward to seeing you again this year!

This pic was from 3 years ago? No sun that year. It will be this year!

Quick Reply: Plastic Fantastic XXXVII - San Diego, CA