Southern California Southern California

OMG - my vette didn't melt or fall apart!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
genair
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMG - my vette didn't melt or fall apart!!!!!!

OK - so on Friday I drove the car to the track in the rain, drove 30+ laps around WSIR, drove thru snow on the way home and after riding it hard all day, hung her up wet to dry Friday night. Didn't get a chance to wash it until this morning and amazingly the car didn't melt from the rain and snow, didn't get torn up at the track, and doesn't have a single chip in the paint!!!! In my opinion - everyone who doesn't take the car out when its wet or take it to the track is really missing out - the thrill of driving on the track is soooo much better than the street - and you don't have to drive it hard or thrash it - these cars are tough and won't get hurt from a little rain or hard driving - enjoy em!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by genair; 11-25-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People who owns these soon find that a lot of Corvette myths exist. The leafsprings are out of date myth is my favorite.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

What kind of tires do you like? It seems your car is newer than mine, from the picture.

My time is coming for new tires and have no experience with buying tires for the C5., so thought I would ask.

I am keeping the stock rims and have a mixed set of Kumho on it now, a full summer tire in the rear, which is poor in the rain, and an all season tire up front, probably for security in the weather.

I would duplicate the set up, I think it works great, but the front tire is now out of production in my size. So I'm looking , and guys who wear out tires, and hang around with that crowd , would be the people to ask.

The rest of my post is a response to your post.

I might track the car to try and get a better feel for the handling , but would only do it for certain if I could hit a dirt track, because of the fun factor. I am thinking driving on Pismo beach is not a good substitute.

I always go back to the phrase, Yank Tank, used to describe cars designed for the good old American consumer.

The owner ahead of the guy I bought my car from was a shop who used it as a track car. Rather than killing the deal, I figured that the car was maintained at a high level two years before my purchase. And the guy I bought it from maintained his relationship with the shop, although he declined the clutch work.

It's got a few scratches , so no car shows for me, but it still presents nicely, for a car that gets frequent use. I went to get my car weighed at each corner at a car show at the Auto driving museum , which required that you park and be part of the show.

A guy said if he had my car, he would park it in the back yard for ten years. Sounds like the guy knew his stuff, but I'm a use it type, not a keep it under glass guy.

I really didn't want to pretend about my car, but badly wanted to get it weighed. Then I found the transmitters on the scales wouldn't work so close to the airport. Even without a track, guys are competitive, and I wore it for a short while, until I found out about the scales and left.

I don't mind, my car is getting better , but It also gets driven around Redondo, a town that controls residential speeding with dips at intersections. It is cool to have a car that can pass as a car of interest.

Kind of like when people say the cake is too pretty to cut. Some people think their car is too special to drive. Not my style at all, but it takes all kinds to make a world. It is pretty crazy out there, nice to face it with a fun car.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 PM
genair
Instructor

I'm still on the stock GY run flats - car only has 5700 miles on it and the rubber is still in good shape so I'll wear em down before I replace em.
I'm planning on doing the last event of the year next month at WSIR - I like that they'll have some instruction in the morning for us noobs
Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Sounds like you should be joining us local track rats. We will be back at WSIR for the last event of the 2013 Corvette Challenge.

Check out our latest event thread. See the link for rules etc. And feel free to post up any questions in the thread or PM me

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...c-14-wsir.html

DH
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
genair
Instructor

DH - I plan on being there -just need to check the calender at work tomorrow to make sure there are no conflicts. Look forward to meeting you guys out there
Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,015 Likes on 534 Posts

Great to hear your using your vehicle properly. We advise all Corvette owners to try a few track days. Glad you had a great time!
We are one of the few shops that recommend track days (even for DD vehicles). We even warranty all the work we perform on track day and full on race vehicles.

Last edited by American Heritage; 11-25-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by genair
DH - I plan on being there -just need to check the calender at work tomorrow to make sure there are no conflicts. Look forward to meeting you guys out there

DH
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Great to hear your using your vehicle properly. We advise all Corvette owners to try a few track days. Glad you had a great time!
We are one of the few shops that recommend track days (even for DD vehicles). We even warranty all the work we perform on track day and full on race vehicles.
That's very cool.

You might want to consider becoming a sponsor for the 2014 Corvette Challenge. PM me if you are interested

DH
Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
People who owns these soon find that a lot of Corvette myths exist. The leafsprings are out of date myth is my favorite.
Dude they are so out of date it's crazy, I mean what they've been using the composite springs as long as we've been alive so that's what, since the 1980's....just too bad that coil springs are 100 yrs old, I guess that means they must still be up to date technology..

I'll still go coil over when I can..just stating the truth..
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM
MAX Q
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I agree.
It's hard for these cars to melt when the outside temp is 27 degrees.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv02be262p...2007.33.45.mov
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm still on the stock GY run flats - car only has 5700 miles on it and the rubber is still in good shape so I'll wear em down before I replace em.
I'm planning on doing the last event of the year next month at WSIR - I like that they'll have some instruction in the morning for us noobs
Glad to hear you like tracking your car! I just upgraded and have a lot of track related parts that I will be selling.... C6 Z06 polished wheels with Nitto Nto5 tires (way better than the GYs on the track), Stoptech ST60/40 BBK, fire extinguisher and mount, cobra racing seat on sliders... And I am sure I will find more as I dig through my garage. Let me know if you need anything.

Charley
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also come out to SOW (the smaller track as WSIR) Sat the 30th for a warm up!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...#post158553345
Old 11-30-2013, 11:34 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Sorry to disrupt the track conversation. I thought a guy going to tracks would be using a lot of tires and would have more practical experience than myself with different tires, so I asked.

I was surprised with your answer, thank you. People around here are kind of picky about tires and runflats are not as favored by some.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Sorry to disrupt the track conversation. I thought a guy going to tracks would be using a lot of tires and would have more practical experience than myself with different tires, so I asked.

I was surprised with your answer, thank you. People around here are kind of picky about tires and runflats are not as favored by some.
It really depends what you want to use the tires for. If you are just driving on the street anything will be fine... I have had good luck with the Bridgestone's....and bad luck with the GY's. If you want a good street legal tire for use on the track, I have had good luck with the Nitto NT05's. One really good thing about the NT05's is that they are reversible, so when the outside gets warn you can switch them (IB to OB) and get a lot more life out of them.

Get notified of new replies

To OMG - my vette didn't melt or fall apart!!!!!!

Quick Reply: OMG - my vette didn't melt or fall apart!!!!!!