Southern California Southern California

Orange County: anyone get pulled over for tinted windows or tinted side markers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Orange County: anyone get pulled over for tinted windows or tinted side markers?

I have black Z06 and I'm considering the blacked-out thing.

So far have black Centenniel badges and black spyder wheels.

I'm considering:
- mildly tinted windows
- blacked out side lights (they call them "side markers" I guess)

(I am NOT considering blacked out rear or front lights)

Do you guys know if cops in Orange County will pull me over for either tinted windows or side markers?

I can accept getting a fix-it ticket for those if I happened to be pulled over for something else (speeding), but it would suck to be driving
at legal speeds and get pulled over for the above.

thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It really depends. I had deleted side markers on my WRX, tinted windows, catless, fireballs, the works and never got bothered.

My wide MR2 pulled over constantly.

My Vette, been pulled over twice already just for "Registration Verification" IE: harassment.

Tint in OC is usually enforced though I know a lot of guys who have received tint tickets but they are fix its.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't tinted my vette windows, but in my DD I got pulled over twice in 2 months for front tint. Finally just had it removed. Still have it on the rear passenger and back windows. No reason to give them an excuse to pull you over.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnsC5
Haven't tinted my vette windows, but in my DD I got pulled over twice in 2 months for front tint. Finally just had it removed. Still have it on the rear passenger and back windows. No reason to give them an excuse to pull you over.
OC doesn't like tint.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither does the CHP in San Diego.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnsC5
Neither does the CHP in San Diego.
I haven't tinted yet but I mostly drive with my windows down.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 868 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
OC doesn't like tint.
In my experienxce, no LEO likes tint on the front and A/B Pillar windows.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

We all know its illegal to tint forward side windows and the side marker lights so if you do it and you get caught for it why would anyone complain? Some get caught, some never do. Thats just the way it is, no big deal.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
We all know its illegal to tint forward side windows and the side marker lights so if you do it and you get caught for it why would anyone complain? Some get caught, some never do. Thats just the way it is, no big deal.
^this.

i tinted both our daily drivers dark all the way around and fully expect to get popped for either no front plate or tint. you have to pay to play.

its worth it not to be caught in a murdered out prius.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Risk of the odds agree
Think some depends on the car
My Silverado has had tint since the day I bought it seems invisible to the po pos
Other cars Ive had pulled over constantly. Flashier/sportier they are the higher the chances.
Had a 5.0 that I could NEVER drive without either being pulled over or followed got old. Pizza cutters loud mufflers and tint will do that lol.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:39 AM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vette is a black stock z06 with pretty dark tints on the driver and passenger windows. I've never been pulled over. Been driving it in OC since 2008. An Irvine officer walked up to me at a gas station and admitted to being a huge corvette fan. He could see the bald tires, crack windshield, and tinted windows but didn't say a word other than "you must go through tires with those track events".

I planned on removing the tint once I received a fix-it ticket, but it has never happened.

Of course, now that I've written it, I'll probably be updating this thread on my new fix-it ticket tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have tinted tail lights for the past 6 years and travel in and out of Orange County without any problems.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
djgcue
Racer

I can't even count the number of times I've been pulled over for tinted windows. Flashy colors, sports cars doesn't matter, I've been pulled over in my Civic Hybrid for tint. I tint all my cars limo - 5%.

90% of the times I've been pulled over it's been by CHP.

The last time a CHP popped me in Irvine was for my limo tint I had on a Mazda6, while I was working at Mazda. The car was brand new and the cop couldn't locate any records of the car, so he let me go with a warning. He definitely wasn't happy about it.

Last edited by djgcue; 05-13-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

On both my C5Z and my C6Z I went very dark on the back windows, and the lightest shade on the side windows. Would I like darker, Yes...but I've never been pulled over in either car. The owner of the tint shop I went to said he's never known any of his customers to get a ticket for the lightest shade he isntalled on my cars...that's why I wnet with that.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 PM
thevaliantknight
Racer

Everytime I tint my rear tail lights I get pulled over for a fix it within a month, without fail. After the second time, I stopped tinting them. I haven't gotten pulled over in years. They never care (or notice) side markers.

Last edited by thevaliantknight; 05-21-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Get notified of new replies

To Orange County: anyone get pulled over for tinted windows or tinted side markers?

Quick Reply: Orange County: anyone get pulled over for tinted windows or tinted side markers?