Southern California Southern California

Speedshop for Long Tube Install near Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speedshop for Long Tube Install near Long Beach

... and recommendation guys? I have a C5 with Borla Stingers already and am picking up LG Long tubes tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

I'd suggest a muffler shop, that's how I got mine done.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Mesa Muffler in Costa Mesa.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Any others? I was quoted 1100 installed and tuned.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Im going to CMS. I called RPM 3 times and got 3 different quotes and the guy on the phone seemed like he didn't want my business. The guys at CMS were super helpful and even went through the parts to make sure I had everything.

I can't wait to help break in there new dyno
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
Im going to CMS. I called RPM 3 times and got 3 different quotes and the guy on the phone seemed like he didn't want my business. The guys at CMS were super helpful and even went through the parts to make sure I had everything.

Matt,

I gave you two prices. One to install the exhaust and the other to install the intake.

I responded the same day to each request.

I asked if you had all the pieces. You stated you had only the headers and x-pipe. That meant I needed to supply harness extensions and any missing hardware. OK, not a big deal and the price never changed.

You inquired about a FAST 102 intake install. I asked if you had all the pieces.

Sorry you felt slighted and good luck.

email correspondence below.

On Apr 20, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Matt Lee <matthew.lee@me.com> wrote:

To: Webmaster

Matt
matthewxxxx

I was interested how much installing LG Long tubes on a C5 + flashing
would be and how long the install takes? Is it something I could pick
up same day? Thanks!!!

...about an hour later....
On Apr 20, 2013, at 4:34 PM, "Sales@RPM-Motors-Inc.com" <sales@rpm-motors-inc.com> wrote:

yes, can be done in one day

total price $1095

do you have all the parts?

thanks,

charles

On Apr 20, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Matthew Lee <matthewxxx> wrote:

I have the headers and x pipe. Then I was told you guys flash the ecus?

Sent from my iPhone

...less than an hour later

On Apr 20, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Sales@RPM-Motors-Inc.com <sales@rpm-motors-inc.com> wrote:

yes, the price included dyno tuning

On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:01 PM, Matthew Lee <matthewxxxx> wrote:

How much would adding a Fast Intake to the install. Might as well right

Matt,

$115.....As long as you have all the parts, (1) manifold (2) gaskets (3) harness's for MAP sensor extension & Throttle body (4) mounting hardware (5) 90 mm throttle body (6) 90 mm hose/coupler

thanks,

charlie
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

I just felt as though you guys didn't really give a damn on the phone. The guys at CMS just had better customer service and seemed to have more patience and its a shame because I was pretty much set on going to RPM. Might have been a bad time to call but either way I just felt like my business wasn't important enough. CMS gave me a great deal too the guy helped me find the clamps I needed and everything.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just felt as though you guys didn't really give a damn on the phone. The guys at CMS just had better customer service and seemed to have more patience and its a shame because I was pretty much set on going to RPM. Might have been a bad time to call but either way I just felt like my business wasn't important enough. CMS gave me a great deal too the guy helped me find the clamps I needed and everything.
you spoke to me, i am glad we earned your business.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Corvettec6z06guy40
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This mirrors my experience with RPM. It also looks like their best mechanic may have left, so wait times might go up.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

I guess some guys need their hand held and shoulders rubbed before they're willing to do business with you...

Thanks Charlie for posting the correspondence.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Excuse you.

Here was my conversation with RPM.

Me: Hi how much to install LG longtubes
Them: Do you have all the pieces
Me: I'm not sure I bought them online, what else would I need
Them: Call LG and find out.
Me: How long will it take
Them: They are headers, I don't know could take 6 hours expect all day.
Me: Can it be done same day how much will it cost.
Them: :chuckles: I said it takes about 6 hours.
Me: How much is that?
Them: Well its six hours, (price)
Me: Ok thanks.

-----

CMS

Me: I am interested in getting Long Tube headers installed
Ryne: Do you have all the pieces and what model did they come off.
Me: 99 with AIR tubes I don't have the pieces.
Ryne: Are you sure it came from a 99?
Me: Yes seller said so.
Ryne: Do you have all the parts?
Me: No.
Ryne: Well it shouldn't be too hard here let me put you on hold and find out what you need.
--- comes back a few seconds later ---
Ryne: If LG can't help you out here is what you need. (Then he went on to tell me exactly the same clamps LG told me to buy.)
Me: Great how much
Ryne: Price
Me: Can it be done in a day?
Ryne: Sure just needs to be here by 9
Me: Dyno tuned the works
Ryne: Everything included just drop it off.
Me: Great see you on the 6th.
Ryne: Call us if you need help getting those last parts.

Thats not hand holding thats making sure your customers have everything they need before they spend 1000 dollars on labor for something.

The PM I sent I sent to about 5 other shops as well. I shop around. Just because you are the best and have the best reputation doesn't mean you can rest on that. I was in the Import World way before this and was sponsored and worked with people like Tein, JIC, BRS Autodesign, Falken, etc so I can tell you when dealing with customers and cars people want to know EVERYTHING and want their hands held. This is a freaking Corvette not a Dae Woo Leganza.

Last edited by Mattie Num Nums; 04-29-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess you can't please everyone. I think both RPM and CMS are great shops.

Coming from my past experience, it's real hard to give a quote with missing information.

Labor rates are just that labor rates. If shop A says they charge 6 hours labor rate then it's 6 hours labor rate. Don't sound too confusing but looking at it from a shop owners stand point it's hard to give an exact quote when the customer don't have his ducks in a row.

Here's one thing I'm fairly sure of as it pertains to CMS. They seem to be a very prouductive and good shop however I've never had my car there so I can't speak from experience.

Here's something as it pertains to RPM Motors Inc. I can speak from experience because I have had work done there. The owner (Charlie) has been running a speed shop since before ryne was born probably when rynes parents were in elementary school. His shop isn't very big but there's Corvettes and LSx cars lined darn near to the highway to get in there. Charlie has been through a few phone receptionist since I've been doing business with him. Some are good some not as good. Charlie isn't a shop owner who sits behind a desk most of the day and then goes out for a couple hours to fiddlef$&K around with a car. If he's not tuning he's in the machine shop building engines if your lucky enough to catch him not doing those things around the shop then he's at someone else's shop tuning for them. Then if your really lucky and he's not doing any of the above he's answering emails and phone calls from customers. My view on the above mentioned conversations that have been posted from customer and from race shop is that the text posted by the race shop appears to be copied and pasted and edited only for privacy of customer. To me that seems like it was probably how the conversation went down and not like the customer posted.

Either way you can't please everyone but I know for a fact that Charlie will bend over backward to help people out because he's doing what he loves and loves what he does.

I'm not taking away from CMS or ryne at all he's an awesome dude too in my book.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

Here's something as it pertains to RPM Motors Inc. I can speak from experience because I have had work done there. The owner (Charlie) has been running a speed shop since before ryne was born probably when rynes parents were in elementary school.

Either way you can't please everyone but I know for a fact that Charlie will bend over backward to help people out because he's doing what he loves and loves what he does.

I'm not taking away from CMS or ryne at all he's an awesome dude too in my book.
Reality Check

I've been on the forum over 10years Charlie did not have a shop till a couple of years afterwards and worked with another vendor. I'm pretty sure Ryne was out of elementary school and sure his dad who I know is older then Charlie.

I find it weak when somebody likes to point out age differences and that is suppose to justify there work experiance. At the point Ryne has been around for several years and has a ton of happy customers if you like Charllie great but let the work speak for itself not the age between them.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Open your eyes beyond corvette forum

The difference was pointed out in a sense to show that Charlie has been in this business for a long time. Nothing more. Just because Charlie wasn't on this forum as a vendor or wheatear or not RPM motors Existed a couple of years ago (which it's existed for more then a couple of years) just because Charlie was doing work with others don't mean squat. I'm pretty certain Charlie has been in the high performance automotive industry since the 60s which definitely puts him in the category of doing this for a very long time. Look man I'm not taking away from ryne or his shop at all and if that's what it sounded like my apologies. All I'm saying is that Charlie is awesome and has been doing this for a very long time and people are lining up to get in. However you can't make everyone happy and it's ashame that the poster I was speaking about gave what seems like some misinformation and made Charlie and RPM motors look like the bad guys.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
The difference was pointed out in a sense to show that Charlie has been in this business for a long time. Nothing more. Just because Charlie wasn't on this forum as a vendor or wheatear or not RPM motors Existed a couple of years ago (which it's existed for more then a couple of years) just because Charlie was doing work with others don't mean squat. I'm pretty certain Charlie has been in the high performance automotive industry since the 60s which definitely puts him in the category of doing this for a very long time. Look man I'm not taking away from ryne or his shop at all and if that's what it sounded like my apologies. All I'm saying is that Charlie is awesome and has been doing this for a very long time and people are lining up to get in. However you can't make everyone happy and it's ashame that the poster I was speaking about gave what seems like some misinformation and made Charlie and RPM motors look like the bad guys.
Why make all these blanket statements? Your the one giving the misinformation! His shop opened a couple of months before CMS so essentially about the same time. Charlie background is electrical engineer not speed shops or "building muscle cars since the 60's"

I do give him and Ryne props as many LSX based shops have started and are gone in the last 10 years here in Socal. Since he is still in business there must be a happy customer base.

Last edited by Wicked C5; 05-20-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Charlie background is electrical engineer not speed shops or "building muscle cars since the 60's"
I don't like being a person that "blows their own horn" but you are incorrect. I don't know where the information comes from but in a nutshell....

My background is both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. I still manufacture electric motors for several fuel pump companies. Many of you are using them in your vehicles. I have worked with companies you are familiar with.......Essex, Edlebrock, Magnafuel, Holley, Moroso and others.

I built primarily stock cars and stock car engines in the 70's but also built road race and drag race engines. There were plenty of "muscle car" builds during this time as well.

In the 80's I manufactured crankshafts and connecting rods when the only competitors were Moldex and Crower. During this time I was instrumental in the 5140 raw forging with Chevrolet and in conjunction with Buick and Smokey Yunick, built the billet V6 crankshafts for their Indy Car program.

In the 90's I was a partner in an electric motor company and grew it from 6 employees to 200. We designed and manufactured motors, controllers, and gear motors for the likes of Lincoln Electric, Stewart Warner, Gast, Foredom Electric, ATEC, WW Grainger and others.

Charlie
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
I don't like being a person that "blows their own horn" but you are incorrect. I don't know where the information comes from but in a nutshell....
No worries still not since the 60's and I wasn't incorrect saying you were electrical engineer that worked at other shops before opening your own. All of that is the truth!

I honestly don't care what peoples resumes look like let the work speak for itself and stop with all the fluff we get enough of that out of our current president.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedshop for Long Tube Install near Long Beach

Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Why make all these blanket statements? Your the one giving the misinformation! His shop opened a couple of months before CMS so essentially about the same time. Charlie background is electrical engineer not speed shops or "building muscle cars since the 60's"

I do give him and Ryne props as many LSX based shops have started and are gone in the last 10 years here in Socal. Since he is still in business there must be a happy customer base.

Sounds like you need to do a little more homework sir. Ok so late 60s early 70s.

Thats not the entire point. Again I'm not referencing who opened their current shop first nor am I taking anything away from ryne. He's awesome.

All I'm saying in a nutshell is that Charlie more then likely didn't do what the OP said he did over the phone and that Charlie has been in the business a very long time and still is so he must be doing something right.

Can't please everyone though so it is what it is I guess.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 05-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

why do all you guys care so much about this? spend your money where you want, the rest will work itself out. jesus.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Corvettec6z06guy40
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imflyinbiya
why do all you guys care so much about this? spend your money where you want, the rest will work itself out. jesus.
I'll tell you why, because money does not come easy to some of us, and getting it right the first time is very important.

Just because someone may have been in a certain industry for many years, this does not automatically qualify them to run a service related business.

Quick Reply: Speedshop for Long Tube Install near Long Beach