Southern California Southern California

Relocating to SoCal - Variety of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used Allstate for the past 25 years. They have always come through for me.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by T2G2
When you be coming down? As I said in a previous post on the second Saturday of the month the Valley Vettes do mountain runs and on the third Sunday of the month. the Blockheads do a cruise.
I'm still in the negotiation phase including relocation benefits, start date, etc, so I'm not sure yet. Probably sometime in August though! I found a fantastic townhome only half a mile from the beach in south(ish) redondo with everything I am looking for sans yard. Only want 2800 for the place too. Now I just need to find a way to get down there and check it out/submit an app before someone else grabs it up!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I lived in Laguna Beach for years so I'm not hip to the area in question, but I'll say this.. especially if you're single...live on or as close to the beach as possible without making a huge commute..
Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
I lived in Laguna Beach for years so I'm not hip to the area in question, but I'll say this.. especially if you're single...live on or as close to the beach as possible without making a huge commute..
The place that I found is perfect (and I don't care about the yard when I have a beach a few blocks away! It is only 5 miles from where I'd be working too.

I just need to find a way to get down there and be the first to get to it! I don't know how fast rentals fly off the market in that area.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

When you get here hook up with T2G2 (tony) and his group. Many of it's members know the vette ropes well around here. If you are in South Redondo I'm in PalosVerdes just a few miles south. Most of us racers are using CMS and RPM to do our race work. We beat our machines and they do a good job of keeping them running for those who don't do their own work. Talk to Frank who has 2 vettes. He is in tony's group and he can give you good reviews on RPM from a non-racer's perspective and trackday enthusist's perspective. We also have 3 awesome race tracks to run in socal and you can do them without damage to your car or you can bang fenders depending on how much you get into it. You are now in gearhead heaven! Welcome to socal and hope to see you on-track!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
degaux
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedevil99
The place that I found is perfect (and I don't care about the yard when I have a beach a few blocks away! It is only 5 miles from where I'd be working too.

I just need to find a way to get down there and be the first to get to it! I don't know how fast rentals fly off the market in that area.

You'll love it there.... there's a car show every friday at the Ruby's Diner near the Redondo Beach pier... make sure you visit God's own dive bar... the Poop Deck in Hermosa Beach...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
EkS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by degaux

You'll love it there.... there's a car show every friday at the Ruby's Diner near the Redondo Beach pier... make sure you visit God's own dive bar... the Poop Deck in Hermosa Beach...
Well not EVERY Friday, just from April till October.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
C6Ray
Instructor

I live in the south bay for 10 yr torrance redondo beach hamosa beach great place to live and play king harbor lthat is where they have the car show great restaurants you'll have to take a bike ride on the strand and see the sights you know what I mean when you get there
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Commute

Originally Posted by hattitude
I live in San Diego, so I can't help you with neighborhoods.

Although I drive 60 miles North to Temecula to use CMS for my Vette, I'd have to suspect there are some good shops closer for you.

Now for insurance........ I haven't had anyone match, or get close, to what I pay for my Vette through Wawanesa Insurance (California & Oregon coverage). But they only insure drivers with good driving records.

Might be worth giving them a call.....

Welcome to SoCal......
HaHA, I drive from Temecula to Rancho Bernardo. Nedxt time I see a black Vette I'll give the corvette wave.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:42 PM
degaux
Drifting

Originally Posted by EkS
Well not EVERY Friday, just from April till October.
ME BAD... been gone too long....
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Well, I settled on a townhouse today a few blocks up the hill from king harbor! I'll be moving in on the 10th and hauling the vette behind a uhaul! After spending the last couple days here I already know im gonna like it. So many vettes everywhere compared to Washington!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 AM
John-F
Drifting

Well, I settled on a townhouse today a few blocks up the hill from king harbor! I'll be moving in on the 10th and hauling the vette behind a uhaul! After spending the last couple days here I already know im gonna like it. So many vettes everywhere compared to Washington!
You're in a good area. One thing you will probably want to check out after you're here is the best way to work. PCH (Pacif Coast Hwy) can be busy and slow, but there are many options via side streets.

As far as shops go, I recommend RPM in Santa Clarita. It's about an hour drive but worth it. The owner, Charlie, is considered among the top Corvette tuners in N. America.

Some guys mentioned Ruby's in Redondo Beach for the car shows on Fridays. In additon, that is my favorite breakfast place because I can park the car away from others and keep an eye on it from several of the tables.

I can also recommend a dog walker, very experienced, and reliable. She walks mine during the week, and he's a handful (rambunctious Doberman). She's in Redondo.

If you like outdoor activities, you'll love the area. Many good gyms in the area too.

Last edited by John-F; 08-03-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
T2G2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator

If you can make it this Saturday. go to this link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...his-month.html
Its about a 40 minute drive from Redondo but the mountain runs are fantastic
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
delbert62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don"t miss the Cars and Coffee in Irvine every Sat morning. Get there early, about 7:00 or so
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

I would just like to say as a final note here.. I HATE these streets. 3 days and I've already ripped off the lip from my bumper.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would just like to say as a final note here.. I HATE these streets. 3 days and I've already ripped off the lip from my bumper.
How would we be able to keep up with the handouts and welfare if we actually fixed the streets?

but seriously, you should visit San Diego (proper) and really see some crap roadways. The city is super broke.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 AM
T2G2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

SoCal Events Coordinator

Welcome to SoCal

If you are gonna go down to the Block of Orange, Sunday, I live North of you. We can meet and you can follow me down. Let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To Relocating to SoCal - Variety of questions

Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 AM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Originally Posted by T2G2
Welcome to SoCal

If you are gonna go down to the Block of Orange, Sunday, I live North of you. We can meet and you can follow me down. Let me know.
I am planning on it yeah, just let me know where you want to meet. More than anything it's these damn drainage crossings that cause nose dives. Gonna need to repaint my bumper before much longer.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
T2G2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

SoCal Events Coordinator

I am planning on it yeah, just let me know where you want to meet. More than anything it's these damn drainage crossings that cause nose dives. Gonna need to repaint my bumper before much longer.
You pick an intersection, Gas Station, MacDonalds, whatever, near you and the 405 and let me know. I will come meet you. Dont't know exactly where you are whether its Crenshaw, Artesia whatever. Find a spot give me the intersection and I will be there at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

it's not all that bad, around the beach areas of Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan it gets a little rough because the gutters are fairly deep.

Quick Reply: Relocating to SoCal - Variety of questions