Southern California Southern California

Front License Plate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
rons99
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving one Corvette or another around Brea for almost 10 years. Never got a ticket. Don't mean to say I won't - just that I haven't. At one time a few years ago there was a Brea cop that owned a C5 without a front plate.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
Isn't it "just" a fix-it ticket?
Thats what I was thinking

Either put a plate on and dont worry about it or leave it off, worry about it then bitch when/if you get caught. Dont see the issue?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BillCRS
We all know our cars are supposed to have two license plates. We all know that window tint on the front windows is illegal. We all know that talking on a cell phone is illegal. The list goes on and on. This discussion continues to come up over the years on this forum. Everyone in here is responsible for their own actions and behavior. So why complain and blame the system for enforcing law. Pay the fines when getting caught for knowingly breaking the law. Or, change the law. I'm not putting a plate on my front bumper. I'll pay the fine when my number comes up and not whine about it.
SERIOUSLY???

This is a public forum where members share their thoughts and experiences to questions on hand. No where in this thread do I pick up on complaints, blame, or so called whining.

Please correct me if I missed something.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:58 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Ray
I've had my c 6 for 6Yr and 94m miles only got 1 ticket for no front plate because I got stopped for speeding cost me 25 dollars for no front plate and 1000 for the speeding ticket
$1000?? You must have been flyin low!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
SERIOUSLY???

This is a public forum where members share their thoughts and experiences to questions on hand. No where in this thread do I pick up on complaints, blame, or so called whining.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Guess I've been lucky. Got a camera/red light ticket where they photograph the front and back and mail the ticket, and got pulled over on Ortega Hwy for failing to obey a posted sign.
Didn't get a plate ticket on either one. And I beat them both in court.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
vettencle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C5 didn't have a front plate, my C6 will NEVER have a front plate. Nor will I ever issue a ticket to a Vette with no front plate!! I would consider it vandalism if you put a front plate on your Vette!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
BillCRS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
SERIOUSLY???

Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
SIZEDAR
Cruising

Originally Posted by vettencle
My C5 didn't have a front plate, my C6 will NEVER have a front plate. Nor will I ever issue a ticket to a Vette with no front plate!! I would consider it vandalism if you put a front plate on your Vette!!!
Hey, I'm in Bakersfield too, if I get a ticket for a front plate I'm looking you up
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Michael J. Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by BillCRS
We all know our cars are supposed to have two license plates. We all know that window tint on the front windows is illegal. We all know that talking on a cell phone is illegal. The list goes on and on. This discussion continues to come up over the years on this forum. Everyone in here is responsible for their own actions and behavior. So why complain and blame the system for enforcing law. Pay the fines when getting caught for knowingly breaking the law. Or, change the law. I'm not putting a plate on my front bumper. I'll pay the fine when my number comes up and not whine about it.
Eloquent and true but let me provide some tactful counterpoint. The front plate is useless and unnecessary so the law is foolish. Motorcycles don't have them so cars shouldn't either. Don't get me going about red light cameras needing to read the front plate because they are just for generating tax revenue. Government is supposed to serve us, not the other way around.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RickintheOC
I can't believe you can get a parking ticket for that. What B.S.!
Rick, many private parking lots that are open for public parking permit law enforcement agencies to enforce the vehicle code. There must be signs at the parking lot entrances though that state this.

As a result, the meter maids come in and enforce registration (expired tags), front license plates and occasional equipment violations. You don't find too many actual officers making stops for no front plates, it does happen but not a lot. More often than not, the stop will be for another violation and the front plate would be added on as a separate violation.

Here is a difference in parking lots. The parking lots open for public parking will allow vehicle code enforcement even though the lot is private property. Sections of parking lots that are for employees, may or may not be fenced or gated off separately, the vehicle code will not apply except for dui, hit and run with injury or death.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Happihank
Racer

After the third fix it ticket I put on a removable front plate and bracket. If I'm going to pulled over and lit up - I'd rather it be for doing something stupid - like speeding!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I got a ticket 10 years ago when they started enforcing the law due to the "new" traffic light cameras.... So I put the plate on my C5... but recently here in San Diego, the traffic light cameras have been decommissioned.

But I imagine they will still take every opportunity to collect a fee for any reason they can.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Front plate law sucks. Here's a decent option.

http://www.rpicarparts.com/C5-C6-Cor...-Go_p_160.html
Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Within six months of moving here, I was pulled over for front window tint by CHP in my dd MINI Cooper S one morning headed to work. He took the opportunity to check my front plate (which I did not have) and cited me for that as well.

I had the tint stripped and not reapplied since and put one of the retractable plates on the front.

Retractable front plate

This passed muster with the female CHP officer at the station who grabbed the plate and violently pulled it back and forth to see how secure it was when I took it for the fix-it inspection. I understand there are laws concerning movable/retractable plate mounts but i've had other CHPs see it when I've been rear-ended a couple of times on my commute and they've never said anything.

I had this sitting around waiting to go on my C5 but decided against it since I only drive it occassionally on weekends. I put the front plate on my other C5 because my wife didn't want to deal with the issue when she driives that one. I did buy a couple extra of these since they do take a bit of a beating if you tap the curb or just from the elements and in case I ever do need to apply it to the C5.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
elizavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 Trans Am - Got a ticket for no front lic plates while parked at a friends house overnight :-/ I sold it before the date came up to get it "fix.t" so i did nada about that.

2005 Vette - None, and wont put it on!

one time i got TWO window tint tickets before the first ticket date could even come up to get it resolved. i removed my tint off my old mustang gt and the cop signed it off without bothering to go outside and check if it had been removed. ughhhh.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

It would save California millions if they eliminate that crap out.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate issues?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 PM
djgcue
Racer

You guys are missing out! The front plate looks cool on our Vettes...I get so many compliments from hot chicks saying how nice my front plate looks!

Oh and my aerodynamics so much better with the front plate on...I get at least 5 extra MPGs!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Another reason not to have a front plate, other than the obvious aesthetic atrocity, is that removing the plates make the car much less reflective to LIDAR. Of course, C5's have the extra advantage of retractable headlights, which are also big laser mirrors.

I got a LIDAR ticket from CHP on a front shot on the fwy (before I got countermeasures installed) and he didn't cite me for no plate.

And it is not a trivial matter to put on a plate where there is currently no bracket, drive to a CHP office to get the ticket signed off (the one place you can get fix-it tix signed off for free), and then send in proof of correction with a fine, or, God forbid, go wait in line at the traffic window.

Those desk CHP'ers who sign off tix seem to be pretty salty. They'd much rather be out patrolling and be the ones handing out tix.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 AM
djdinoe
Pro

if u get a ticket from a meter maid, just mail a pic of ur car with front plates...it'll reduce ur fine from $25 to $10...don't go to the airport either without front plates they'll nab u quick. carry ur front plate in the trunk so u could show the LEOs you have but haven't gotten a bracket...that worked most of the time for me...good luck

Quick Reply: Front License Plate issues?