Southern California Southern California

I have a free pass to Auto Club Speedway Driving School for tomorrow only...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default I have a free pass to Auto Club Speedway Driving School for tomorrow only...

An offer for my local Corvette Forum Brethren only:

I have purchased a run group from Speed Ventures on Friday at Auto Club Speedway. I have 24 beginners coming to the track for the first time. I have about 27 instructors available to sit in the right seat of the car your 3rd and 4th sessions of six sessions out on track. The first two are group exercises on track. There are also four class room sessions before your sessions on track.

I had a few late cancellations. I have three instructors who don't have students and I have 30 driving spots available.

If you have never driven on a road course and want an introduction and lessons, this would normally cost $500. You will be driving your car on the track.

Let me know if you are interested. If I still have a spot open you are my guest. If you have a friend in a management position or in Information Technology, they are invited, too.

You need to be at the track for the first class session that starts at 7:45 AM. It goes until 5 PM.

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

That's one hell of a generous offer, Oli!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
B505
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Oli its Fabian with the silver C6Z. I met you a couple times at willow springs. If no beginner takes you up on your offer I'd most certainly like to be your guest!! haha that would be fantastic. Let me know how I can find more information.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Oli thanks for the offer.
If I were available I would take you up on it.
Hope you can join us at Buttonwillow with SV and the CC.
It would be great to watch/follow you for a few warm up laps Saturday morning at Buttonwillow.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by B505
Hey Oli its Fabian with the silver C6Z. I met you a couple times at willow springs. If no beginner takes you up on your offer I'd most certainly like to be your guest!! haha that would be fantastic. Let me know how I can find more information.
Call me please after 2:15 at nine four nine 428-5 zero zero 5.

I am checking the rolls in ten minutes.

Oli
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Man I would love to go but I don't get to the fontana area till around 8.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of wear would one realistically expect to put on a car in a day, as far as tires, brake pads, etc? How undulated is ACS? My car is setup pretty low and I don't want to rip the bumper off, naturally.

Basically, it's an exciting proposition, but an intimidating one. If I put the car into a wall, I don't have the means to fix it. I'm a younger guy on a modest budget and the car is currently my daily. Worth the risk?

Edit:
It's an '05 C6 with a healthy cam, full bolt-ons, clutch/fly, C6Z trans and diff, pfadt CO's, stock sways, stock 245's up front, 335 NT05's out back.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I've never been on a road course and would love attend. There's a good chance I can make it by 745. Please let me know. If I were to be 10-15 min late, would it be a problem? Thnx
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
What kind of wear would one realistically expect to put on a car in a day, as far as tires, brake pads, etc? How undulated is ACS? My car is setup pretty low and I don't want to rip the bumper off, naturally.

Basically, it's an exciting proposition, but an intimidating one. If I put the car into a wall, I don't have the means to fix it. I'm a younger guy on a modest budget and the car is currently my daily. Worth the risk?

Edit:
It's an '05 C6 with a healthy cam, full bolt-ons, clutch/fly, C6Z trans and diff, pfadt CO's, stock sways, stock 245's up front, 335 NT05's out back.
I would not expect any problems ripping off bumpers, etc. The track is pretty flat. Feeling intimidated is very natural and in fact a healthy thing. It is advisable for you to call me or Howie and talk about the experience. Send me your e-mail address and I can send out the information letter I sent to all the students this morning. That will answer a lot of the questions and reduce some intimidation.

Right now it looks like we are full. I have a few driver spots open, but no more instructors. Let me see what I can do.

Oli
Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

No prob, PM on the way. I'm interested nonetheless.

And naturally, I'll cough up what I can for funds to help offset whatever costs you might have incurred. The $500 retail is steep for me at the moment, but if I can pitch in something, I'd love to.

Last edited by SlickShoes; 10-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for getting me set up, Oli! I'm excited and scared to hell at the same time...

See you guys out there in the morning.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for getting me set up, Oli! I'm excited and scared to hell at the same time...

Slick, you will have a great time and learn the correct way.

Also, if you have not found an MGW shifter to try out, this may be your chance.

I am at Willow Springs on Saturday and then the Mojave mile on Sunday in case you are attending either. My C5Z has a new MGW you are welcome to check out.

Ed
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have a fun day and the scared part doesn't last very long. I clearly remember my first day on a road course with my Corvette five years back. I was hooked before the day was over and after no less than 30 track days under my belt it's still a big adrenalin rush. With Oli you will be in good hands.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Wow, super cool offer Oli! SlickShoes, you'll love it! If I'd seen it earlier I would have been tempted to join, but I'm supposed to meet with our Chief Engineer tomorrow. (Boeing C-17, its my 25th Anv with Boeing)

Make sure to take lots of Pics!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the encouragement! And Ed, good call on the MGW thing. Thanks for the reminder!

Off to bed in a few minutes. Gotta be back up in about 7 hours.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I look forward to seeing you guys out there.

Oli
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

BLAST.

1. I always thought I was fast, now I know better

2. Stock brakes are beyond woeful (Instructor: "More brakes more brakes more brakes! / Student: "Thats all of them, I don't have anymore brakes!!)

3. The car did fantastic, all things considered. Not one hiccup.

4. The sheer amount provided by the Speed Ventures and Alvaka Networks team was above and beyond, with food, picture packages, instruction, pro ride-alongs, etc.

5. I need brakes. And I could definitely use some tires. But mainly brakes, .

Thanks Oli and each of the guys I met during the day. Thanks to the Z06's and 911's that routinely gave me good point-by's, haha. I can't stop thinking about my lines and braking points into each of the turns. I drove out to Irwindale yesterday for the championship round of Formula Drift, and somehow kept finding apexs in traffic and waiting for point by's in the fast lane.

Get notified of new replies

To I have a free pass to Auto Club Speedway Driving School for tomorrow only...

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

BLAST.

1. I always thought I was fast, now I know better

2. Stock brakes are beyond woeful (Instructor: "More brakes more brakes more brakes! / Student: "Thats all of them, I don't have anymore brakes!!)

3. The car did fantastic, all things considered. Not one hiccup.

4. The sheer amount provided by the Speed Ventures and Alvaka Networks team was above and beyond, with food, picture packages, instruction, pro ride-alongs, etc.

5. I need brakes. And I could definitely use some tires. But mainly brakes, .

Thanks Oli and each of the guys I met during the day. Thanks to the Z06's and 911's that routinely gave me good point-by's, haha. I can't stop thinking about my lines and braking points into each of the turns. I drove out to Irwindale yesterday for the championship round of Formula Drift, and somehow kept finding apexs in traffic and waiting for point by's in the fast lane.

Slick shoes, you did very well according the the feedback I got from your instructor. Driving on a road course is a humbling experience, at least it was for me. Seat time vs. is mods is the magic ingredient your first year. About the only thing I would recommend are routine fluid changes on the car, DOT 4 brake fluid, Raybestos ST43/ST47 pads or Hawk pads all available from Porterfield Brakes in Costa Mesa.

Come on out to a 2011 Cal Club Corvette Challenge by Speed Ventures event to hang with a large Corvette road racing community.

Who did you ride with?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd love to come out again soon. Fluid, braided lines, and new pads are top of the list. Again, thanks.

I rode with Jim Tway. Couldn't have had a better instructor, IMO. Ton of personality, and an aggressive driver to boot. The ride-along was a tail-out adventure.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I'd love to come out again soon. Fluid, braided lines, and new pads are top of the list. Again, thanks.

I rode with Jim Tway. Couldn't have had a better instructor, IMO. Ton of personality, and an aggressive driver to boot. The ride-along was a tail-out adventure.

Yeah, you should see the last two laps of his race with Bill Redtopz at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks back. Jim's rear tires are burned off and Bill gets all over him, but does not get the opp for the pass. Jim handles the squirrelly car beautifully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guK_J2tOBlE

Here is Jim's in-car video, but I think the next link to Bill's where he is chasing Jim shows it better in the last two laps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8O2...eature=related

Check out the Alvaka Networks FaceBook page. We are starting to post pictures, including yours.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/AlvakaNetworks

Oli

Quick Reply: I have a free pass to Auto Club Speedway Driving School for tomorrow only...