Southern California Southern California

Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I think it would be good to get feedback on the following questions, and the answers will help frame the rules for next year.

1) Which do you guys believe is quicker, on average: a C6 Z06 on "street" tires (treadwear >100), or a C5 Z06 on Hoosier R6's? What about a C5 Z06 on Hoosier A6's?

2) Which do you believe is quicker (on average): a C6 ZR1 on street tires, or a C6 Z06 on hooser R6? what if it were a C6 Z06 on Hoosier A6?

3) Are the C5 Z06 and the C6 equal at the track in stock trim?

You guy's answers to the above questions will affect next years rules, so please speak up.

Ideally we would love to be able to class cars by a combination of tires and power/weight ratio, but that's not practical in our series because not everyone knows what RWHP their car is putting down, and we don't have the manpower to police such a rule anyway. And this also doesn't take into account the addition of aero, which can make a difference.

HR is the rules miester

Please address his questions to get the rules tweeked correctly for next year.

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
I have one.... when people get free giveaways from supporting sponsors, they should actually use it... or whats the point? sorry a little aggravating.....
If you do not support our sponsors bad things will happen to you

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
MAG STAR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A trophy means "NOTHING" if you didn't earn it .

If I'm in Unlimited with 4 other cars ... and I was the Fastest at 1:31
and 7 cars are in Mod and they did 1:27's HOW can i take home a 1St place Unearned trophy .... VERY BAD of our Club !!!!!

Mark
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Oli

Ed is just trying to justify driving his factory race car in a meek fashion since his little off at Laguna in his convertible C6

Also could you tell Frank that his heavily modded (including cammed motor) C5Z06 is a RACE CAR. He seems to think it is some kind of GREEN daily driver. Maybe next time out you can run his car against me with him in the passenger seat

DH
Howie My 2002 C5 Z06 is my track car that I frequently drive as a daily driver without changing out brake pads and rotors like you do before every track day. Yes I had RPM Motors make modifications to up power and I upgraded braking etc. just to come close to a C6-Z06 stock race car. Another big difference, my car is heaver with less motor than yours and I run in the modified class. I am also a mediocre driver (without delusions of becoming much more) and your lap times have been way below what I put down. Yes put a highly skilled driver in my car and it could match your track times but it still would be in modified, the C6 Z06 belongs in modified. My point, why should the stock class C4 C5 C6 cars all need to play the points game and spend big bucks to match a C6 Z06 factory race car. I have nothing to gain here by putting the C6Z06 race car in modified. I would now have even more faster cars to contend with. I suggest we give the stock C4,5,6 new guy's and gal's a class to get there Corvette Challenge feet wet in.

Last edited by frank dupuy; 09-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by frank dupuy
Howie My 2002 C5 Z06 is my track car that I frequently drive as a daily driver without changing out brake pads and rotors like you do before every track day. Yes I had RPM Motors make modifications to up power and I upgraded braking etc. just to come close to a C6-Z06 stock race car. Another big difference, my car is heaver with less motor than yours and I run in the modified class. I am also a mediocre driver (without delusions of becoming much more) and your lap times have been way below what I put down. Yes put a highly skilled driver in my car and it could match your track times but it still would be in modified, the C6 Z06 belongs in modified. My point, why should the stock class C4 C5 C6 cars all need to play the points game and spend big bucks to match a C6 Z06 factory race car. I have nothing to gain here by putting the C6Z06 race car in modified. I would now have even more faster cars to contend with. I suggest we give the stock C4,5,6 new guy's and gal's a class to get there Corvette Challenge feet wet in.
No one is forcing guys to spend all their money (big bucks) on upgrades. Spend it on a C6Z06 instead. Oh wait that costs a lot more

The problem is where are you going to put a Stock C6Z06 ?? If you bump it up to Modified you will then have to bump up all the C6Z06 guys with race tires into Supermod !!! Lets see how happy they are with that.

I suggest giving HR more data as he is requesting. Then we can analyse his revisions to the rules and see where we stand.

It doesn't mater much to me. I am getting so fast I might move myself up to unlimited just for the challenge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it would be good to get feedback on the following questions, and the answers will help frame the rules for next year.

1) Which do you guys believe is quicker, on average: a C6 Z06 on "street" tires (treadwear >100), or a C5 Z06 on Hoosier R6's? What about a C5 Z06 on Hoosier A6's?

2) Which do you believe is quicker (on average): a C6 ZR1 on street tires, or a C6 Z06 on hooser R6? what if it were a C6 Z06 on Hoosier A6?

3) Are the C5 Z06 and the C6 equal at the track in stock trim?

You guy's answers to the above questions will affect next years rules, so please speak up.

Ideally we would love to be able to class cars by a combination of tires and power/weight ratio, but that's not practical in our series because not everyone knows what RWHP their car is putting down, and we don't have the manpower to police such a rule anyway. And this also doesn't take into account the addition of aero, which can make a difference.

I can answer #3 as I have tracked both a C6 (LS3) and a C5Z in 2011. These two cars are EQUAL within a few tenths of a second per lap. I think the C5Z would be quicker than the LS2 equipped C6, assuming both being stock.

On questions 1 & 2, my concern is "having" to run a Hoosier type tire in order to be competitive. I do not have the option / or plans to trailer my car or tires to track events, and could not then drive to Infineon, Laguna, Spring Mtn and even Chuckwalla. I like using an R Compound full time for street & track.

And HR, did you move from Agoura ????

Ed
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doveboat
I can answer #3 as I have tracked both a C6 (LS3) and a C5Z in 2011. These two cars are EQUAL within a few tenths of a second per lap. I think the C5Z would be quicker than the LS2 equipped C6, assuming both being stock.

On questions 1 & 2, my concern is "having" to run a Hoosier type tire in order to be competitive. I do not have the option / or plans to trailer my car or tires to track events, and could not then drive to Infineon, Laguna, Spring Mtn and even Chuckwalla. I like using an R Compound full time for street & track.

And HR, did you move from Agoura ????

Ed
First of all Yes he moved when he found out you lived there !!!

Second, I don't think you have enough seat time in you C5Z. With those tires you should be FASTER !!!!!

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

No one is forcing guys to spend all their money (big bucks) on upgrades. Spend it on a C6Z06 instead. Oh wait that costs a lot more

The problem is where are you going to put a Stock C6Z06 ?? If you bump it up to Modified you will then have to bump up all the C6Z06 guys with race tires into Supermod !!! Lets see how happy they are with that.

It doesn't mater much to me. I am getting so fast I might move myself up to unlimited just for the challenge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
A C6 Z06 should be in super mod when running R6, A6, V710 tires. As Mark mentioned a "true competitor" is looking for a worthy challenge and will willingly accept defeat trying rather than always looking for the sure thing. I will even suggest eliminating super mod and just have it become the unlimited class.

Last edited by frank dupuy; 09-26-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
MAG STAR
Burning Brakes

First of all Yes he moved when he found out you lived there !!!

Second, I don't think you have enough seat time in you C5Z. With those tires you should be FASTER !!!!!

DH
Howie, if I put my tires (R6) on your car at Fontana .... How much faster do you think you can go ? I say 1/2 sec at the most and at a place like Chuckwalla Nothing .... it takes more then tires
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by passmenow
I'd like to see Buttonwillow or Chuckwalla repeated on the schdeule over Big Willow or ACS.

If we are going to vote on tracks then I'll throw in my choices:

MORE:

Big Willow
Chuckwalla
Thunderhill

LESS:

California Speedway
Buttonwillow
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by frank dupuy
A C6 Z06 should be in super mod when running R6, A6, V710 tires. As Mark mentioned a "true competitor" is looking for a worthy challenge and will willingly accept defeat trying rather than always looking for the sure thing. I will even suggest eliminating super mod and just have it become the unlimited class.
What sure thing is that. I have already been beat by Gary in his stock motored C5Z with R6 tires at BW and LS. Now I kicked his butt at ACS but he will be back to WSIR. And we will see what happens.

Now did you read this clearly ..... Gary (who smokes weed between sessions) in a STOCK MOTORED C5Z06 WITH TIRES JUST A LITTLE MORE STICKY THAN YOURS beat me twice.

Are you saying you are more of a competitor than me. I have steadily improved my times and now run in RED. I am ready to go where ever I wind up under the new rules.

The only sure thing is that you will never catch me Frank .....

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
MJM
Drifting

I respectfully disagree.

Most shops and racetracks have scales and a dyno.

NASA, NARRA, and many others have no problems policing this. They simply require competitors to turn in a dyno and scale sheet with their entry. It's good for the year unless you make changes.

Aero is allowed in NASA (completely open) but could easily be outlawed or have a modification factor attached to it for the Corvette Challenge since most people want to keep their cars streetable and avoid looking like the fast and furious crowd.

I think that a HP/weight ratio is far more practical, repeatable, and enforceable than a honor system where the newest and fastest Corvette ends up in stock class with the C4s and C5s.

Matt
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM
MJM
Drifting

DH
How happy are the C6 Z06 guys going to be when the C7 Z06 comes out and spanks them all in the slowest class?

If you keep the C6 Z06 in stock, the whole rule book is kind of a joke. At least that's what people are going to think of a 4 class system with the fastest car in the slowest class.

A power/weight ratio based classing system lets anyone with any Corvette at any level of money compete against cars that have the potential of turning similar lap times. The rest is up to the driver.

Matt
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do not support our sponsors bad things will happen to you

DH
Hey Howie , were do you buy your brake pads from ?
Tris
Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MAG STAR
Howie, if I put my tires (R6) on your car at Fontana .... How much faster do you think you can go ? I say 1/2 sec at the most and at a place like Chuckwalla Nothing .... it takes more then tires
Actually Mark I totally agree with that statement. I was commenting at ACS last week about this. I dropped 2 seconds and did 1:51.62 on street tires which I think is pretty damn good. This was all on my skill same tires as last time out just more worn down. Same brakes etc. I did have a set of R6 tires very early on when I got my car. But at that time I was trying to learn how to drive a stick as well as a new Vette. I could not put those tires to use then. But now I could go deeper, pull more G and come out faster ........ much more than .5 seconds ........ becuase I've learned a lot more of the limits of my current setup.

I will take you up on your offer. And you can put mine on yours. Then we can grid together and see I hope that doesn't sound like a challenge ..... Frank doesn't think I like challenges

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MJM
How happy are the C6 Z06 guys going to be when the C7 Z06 comes out and spanks them all in the slowest class?

If you keep the C6 Z06 in stock, the whole rule book is kind of a joke. At least that's what people are going to think of a 4 class system with the fastest car in the slowest class.

A power/weight ratio based classing system lets anyone with any Corvette at any level of money compete against cars that have the potential of turning similar lap times. The rest is up to the driver.

Matt
Matt

I think part of the problem is that we dropped one class (SuperStock) from last year. The reasons were:
1. Additional cost of trophies
2. Not having enough cars in each class (no competition!!)

The stock Zr1 is not in Stock Class. No one knows what the C7 will be. Maybe it will go right to SuperMod

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by quickc6
Hey Howie , were do you buy your brake pads from ?
Tris
Does one of them sell Hawk race pads ???

I get them from a Forum Vendor !!!

Remind me to pass you in turn 9

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Here are my proposals:
1) sequential transmission, change to: +75 points, presently +50
Have you ever seen one of these on a Corvette?
2) treadware 100-139, change to: 0, presently +30
shouldn't penalize a street tire
3) Hoho R6, Kumho V710, BFG R1, GY r's, change to 110, presently 100
race tires should bump a car 1 class
4) Non Dot Full Racing Slick, change to: +140, presently +160
most are scrubs, very little difference compared to fresh A6
5) Aftermarket brake kit, change to: 0, presently +15
safety issue, performance comes from the pads anyways
6) 2 piece rotors, change to: 0, presently +10
safety issue, performance comes from the pads anyways
7) C5, change to: -50, presently 0
C6 or C5Z06 is a much faster car
8) C4, change to: -100, presently 0
C5 is a much faster car
9) C6Z06, change to 160, presently 150
too fast to be classed with the other cars
If we keep the existing points system, then these are some good suggestions. I will add my own $0.02:

1. Start a C4 at -75
2. Start a C5 at -25
3. Start C5Z or C6 at 50
4. Start C6 GS at 100
5. Start C6Z at 160
6. No penalty for street tires over 100 treadware
7. All DOT slicks at +110
8. Full race slicks at +130
9. Licensed racers (nasa or scca) +100
10. Change the class names from stock, modified, super-modified, and unlimited to Street, Street Modified, Modified, Unlimited.

Bottom line is yes a C6Z is faster than all the other cars (except a ZR1) by far and should not be in the lowest class.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
If we are going to vote on tracks then I'll throw in my choices:

MORE:

Big Willow
Chuckwalla
Thunderhill

LESS:

California Speedway
Buttonwillow
MORE: Infineon

Last edited by Sidney004; 09-26-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM
MJM
Drifting

Matt

The stock Zr1 is not in Stock Class. No one knows what the C7 will be. Maybe it will go right to SuperMod

DH
That line of argument is irrelevant because neither have shown up at a Corvette Challenge.

Currently every generation and model of Corvette running in the Challenge is in the same class....stock. Someone could show up with a 1953 blue flame C1 and have to compete against a C6 Z06. Why do we have 4 classes if everything is in the slowest class?

The point of the HP/weight ratio classing is that any year car can show up with any amount of mods (none to all out track monster) and the numbers don't lie. The HP/weight ratio determines what class they are in. Appropriate modifiers would have to be included for tires / trick stuff (sequential gearboxes) / aero, but NASA has already worked that out as well.

The aftermarket and tuners appear to be very happy with the system in NASA and NARRA.

Matt

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012