Southern California Southern California

Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by solo2_z06
Ed, I normally run RA1s now 888s/stock brakes with pad upgrade and fire extinguisher credit. I did try the A6 but wasn't happy with them.

GaryMc
Another fire extinguisher hugger

Actually with all the doobies fired off in that car I think its appropriate

DH
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by solo2_z06
Ed, I normally run RA1s now 888s/stock brakes with pad upgrade and fire extinguisher credit. I did try the A6 but wasn't happy with them.

GaryMc
Thanks Gary, even more impressive how fast you get around the tracks.

You prefer 888's vs 555rII's ?

Ed
Old 10-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doveboat

Ed
Ed

You should be faster than Gary !!!

You just need a little more seat time ......... maybe 20 years more to catch up to Gary

DH
Old 10-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Howard,

Take your own advice.

Your bias toward me has been a success. I WILL NOT SUPPORT this challenge as before...due completely to your constant innuendo, PM's and veiled insults regarding my shop.

Next year anyone running out of my shop will receive CASH AWARDS directly from me..... thanks Howie ---
Mr Williams

I don't believe you are going to earn any respect for this action. You seem like a kid who is going to take his ball home so the rest of us can't play. Even worse you seem to be saying that this is all about you and your business and not about the drivers.

Although I am flattered that you are blaming your departure on me, I think the truth lies else where. Maybe its the fact that you lost the current poll for best shop in SoCal to your rival and Corvette Sponsor, Ryne of CMS. Or maybe its the humilitation that goes along with watching one of your staunchest supporters (Frank) car keep getting flatbedded to your shop. Your toe nails would curl if you could hear what all the drivers say when they keep seeing Franks car blow up on the track, knowing it is an RPM motor.

Maybe its time for you to quit the Corvette Forum too.

Are you going to let my response to you stay up? Or are you going to run off to the Moderators and try to find some reason to have this removed and me banned. What a class act ...............

DH
Old 10-05-2011, 06:41 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Mr Williams

I don't believe you are going to earn any respect for this action. You seem like a kid who is going to take his ball home so the rest of us can't play. Even worse you seem to be saying that this is all about you and your business and not about the drivers.

Although I am flattered that you are blaming your departure on me, I think the truth lies else where. Maybe its the fact that you lost the current poll for best shop in SoCal to your rival and Corvette Sponsor, Ryne of CMS. Or maybe its the humilitation that goes along with watching one of your staunchest supporters (Frank) car keep getting flatbedded to your shop. Your toe nails would curl if you could hear what all the drivers say when they keep seeing Franks car blow up on the track, knowing it is an RPM motor.

Maybe its time for you to quit the Corvette Forum too.

Are you going to let my response to you stay up? Or are you going to run off to the Moderators and try to find some reason to have this removed and me banned. What a class act ...............

DH

Awesome!!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
solo2_z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by doveboat

Ed
I've only done one test day on the 888's and they're not as grippy as the RA1 was. I wanted the NT01 nitto or the RA1 again, but could not get them in the size I needed for the rear. I've no experience with the 555rII. but they look pretty close to 888s by spec.

GaryMc
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Mr Williams

I don't believe you are going to earn any respect for this action. Or are you going to run off to the Moderators and try to find some reason to have this removed and me banned. What a class act ...............

DH

DH,

You represent Corvette Challenge. I think you owe Mr. Williams an apology and should treat sponsors with respect even if you don't agree with them. You might have some history with Mr. Williams but for the good of CC you should act professionally. In this exchange he may not understand the ribbing we give each other especially Frank. A better reply to "take your own advice" might have been "Hey don't misunderstand its just our smacktalk", and end it right there. Now you got a sponsor who is not coming back and that does not paint CC in the best light. Other sponsors also don't like to see this kind of thing either. And while it is pretty impressive to see Frank's multiple motor mishaps, don't forget Oli's equally impressive front running RPM SCCA T1 Z06 that just gets plain punished on track and never fails. I know it because it beats the cr@p out of me on a routine basis.

Mr. Williams,

I hope you reconsider and sponsor CC if for nothing else to help foster a little friendly RPM CMS battle. CC should be about fun not drama.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 10-06-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
DH,

You represent Corvette Challenge. I think you owe Mr. Williams an apology and should treat sponsors with respect even if you don't agree with them. You might have some history with Mr. Williams but for the good of CV you should act professionally. In this exchange he may not understand the ribbing we give each other especially Frank. A better reply to "take your own advice" might have been "Hey don't misunderstand its just our smacktalk", and end it right there. Now you got a sponsor who is not coming back and that does not paint CV in the best light. Other sponsors also don't like to see this kind of thing either. And while it is pretty impressive to see Frank's multiple motor mishaps, don't forget Oli's equally impressive front running RPM SCCA T1 Z06 that just gets plain punished on track and never fails. I know it because it beats the cr@p out of me on a routine basis.

Mr. Williams,

I hope you reconsider and sponsor CV if for nothing else to help foster a little friendly RPM CMS battle. CV should be about fun not drama.
Carl

First, what the hell is CV ?

Second, exactly why do I have to act professionally when he calls me out personally??

Third, he just quit as a sponsor so he no longer needs to be treated as one !!!

DH
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Carl

First, what the hell is CV ?

Second, exactly why do I have to act professionally when he calls me out personally??

Third, he just quit as a sponsor so he no longer needs to be treated as one !!!

DH
CV is because I'm tired and old like Frank. Should be CC as in corvette challenge.

Well it is really your call. I respectfully submit that if I was a leader of CC I would want to represent CC in the best light possible. If a sponsor wants to quit that's fine but closing the door on someone and public "tit for tat" is just not good business. Sometimes it is just more prudent to take a little heat for the good of the cause. Teasing buddies in good fun is fine but giving out a little respect even if none is deserved, you may be surprised at how much respect is returned. CC is a great venue and you have been key in keeping the fires burning bright. I'm happy to see the sponsors add value to CC and I shop with those who support causes I like. I'll shut up now...carry on.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
CV is because I'm tired and old like Frank. Should be CC as in corvette challenge.

Well it is really your call. I respectfully submit that if I was a leader of CC I would want to represent CC in the best light possible. If a sponsor wants to quit that's fine but closing the door on someone and public "tit for tat" is just not good business. Sometimes it is just more prudent to take a little heat for the good of the cause. Teasing buddies in good fun is fine but giving out a little respect even if none is deserved, you may be surprised at how much respect is returned. CC is a great venue and you have been key in keeping the fires burning bright. I'm happy to see the sponsors add value to CC and I shop with those who support causes I like. I'll shut up now...carry on.
Carl

I did not realize anyone was as old as Frank

I respect your opinion and there is truth in what you say. But I put a lot of time and energy into this so we can all have some fun. I feel that Mr Williams is intentionally trying to undermine the Corvette Challenge and any driver who does not take their car to his shop.

Would you like to join the executive committee and be a voice of reason and maturity to counter balance my petulant outspoken views. The pay and benefits are amazing .......

DH
Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had RPM install a bigger radiator , oil cooler , and some other work on my Vette.
Charly gave me a fare price and finished the job. And repaired some others issues I had a few months later. I hate to see RPM go because of one member ot the CC. Hope you well reconcider Charly. I think every shop has some issues with costumers at times. But you have to look at the whole shop.
Tris
on time.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
MJM
Drifting

WSIR Update:

Has anyone noticed that there are 2 new drivers in the STOCK class. And that there are 9 cars in the STOCK class. Thats the most ever and looks like quite the competition setting up

DH
That's because the CC is a one class competition...... STOCK.

My new strategy is to wait until the C7 Z06 comes out, then beat up on everyone in STOCK class! Haha.

Matt
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Default Actual Suggestions......

Here's a couple:

1. non-timing class: no timing, no points, get a t-shirt, certificate of participation each event, see how much fun the competing classes are. We want more drivers and this would be a good way to 'try it out.' Some may be intimidated by the level of smack and think CC is 'racing'. This would allow them a safe way to participate without worry about warrantees, too.

2. Move award ceremony to lunchtime. First two sessions count.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peterpiper
Here's a couple:

1. non-timing class: no timing, no points, get a t-shirt, certificate of participation each event, see how much fun the competing classes are. We want more drivers and this would be a good way to 'try it out.' Some may be intimidated by the level of smack and think CC is 'racing'. This would allow them a safe way to participate without worry about warrantees, too.

2. Move award ceremony to lunchtime. First two sessions count.
I like the first suggestion, rookie/beginners class, timing optional. The second suggestion not good for me. I use the first session for getting comfortable with the track. Second session to safely get up to speed. Third session to lay down my fast lap times. Forth session is to go out and have fun. The three session point system works for all drivers. Some drivers throw down fast laps early ( Dirty Howie). Some "old men" drivers speed up later on ( Frank) Awards at end of day.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Two more rule change ideas. (1) The overall season winner in the stock class is moved up one class for the next season. (2) The C6 Z06 is assigned 151 points putting it in the modified class, this will also move the C6 Z06 running ( Hoosier ETC. ) tires to super modified.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by quickc6
Hey Howie , were do you buy your brake pads from ?
Tris
I get mine from series sponsor Porterfield Brakes.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default especially for newcomers

I think it might be good to assign someone to inspect cars/talk to new drivers who show up mainly just to drive/have fun, but join the CC to hang with other Vette folks at the event, but not really get that there are strict rules regarding classification... This recently happened to myself and a friend at WSIR, where no one really questioned us about our cars/class or gave any direction what was really going on in regards to the CC. For myself it wasn't an issue, as I am completely stock, but could be for my friend that was there with me.

I know everyone is getting ready to 'drive' their cars, so having an actual event participant do this is probably not possible/advisable, but would be nice if one of the event 'pros' either brought a significant other or friend (or someone from the event organizers?) that walked around to all Vettes, clipboard in hand, to greet and welcome newbies, visually inspect the cars, and ask about mods. And to also explain when awards will be given, etc...

That way there are no questions, as seems to be the case at WSIR on Oct 8th, with new cars present (and that drive fast enough to actually compete!), and would give newcomers a nice feeling of being included in this event, and make sure everyone is on the same page from the get go.

Dave

Last edited by Evolution-ary; 10-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012

Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 AM
ExcelsiorMotorsports
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJM
That's because the CC is a one class competition...... STOCK.

My new strategy is to wait until the C7 Z06 comes out, then beat up on everyone in STOCK class! Haha.

Matt
Hi Matt,
I'm glad to see that if you're not flying high , you are flying low. I might see you at Buttonwillow this coming weekend as I'm ready to do my shake down run on the new set up. Cheers
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
I think it might be good to assign someone to inspect cars/talk to new drivers who show up mainly just to drive/have fun, but join the CC to hang with other Vette folks at the event, but not really get that there are strict rules regarding classification... This recently happened to myself and a friend at WSIR, where no one really questioned us about our cars/class or gave any direction what was really going on in regards to the CC. For myself it wasn't an issue, as I am completely stock, but could be for my friend that was there with me.

I know everyone is getting ready to 'drive' their cars, so having an actual event participant do this is probably not possible/advisable, but would be nice if one of the event 'pros' either brought a significant other or friend (or someone from the event organizers?) that walked around to all Vettes, clipboard in hand, to greet and welcome newbies, visually inspect the cars, and ask about mods. And to also explain when awards will be given, etc...

That way there are no questions, as seems to be the case at WSIR on Oct 8th, with new cars present (and that drive fast enough to actually compete!), and would give newcomers a nice feeling of being included in this event, and make sure everyone is on the same page from the get go.

Dave
Agreed, this past event was a bit hectic as there were not many exec committee folks in attendance

Ed
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Dave makes some good points. New blood is the life blood of CC for the future. If you include the new CC guys you will hook them. I know that sometimes CC has bar-b-ques. Have you guy thought about doing a Bar-b-que at every CC and just walk the paddock and invite other non-CC vette drivers to join the bar-b-que as a CC promotion? You might hook some of those guys too nextime. Everyone has more fun when they have a place to go and a reason to go there. The exec committe is really running a nice bridge between trackdays and racing.

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenge Rules: Input For 2012