Southern California Southern California

No Self Serve gas in Oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default No Self Serve gas in Oregon?

I'm going to be taking a trip to Oregon, in my C6 in a couple of months, and I understand, it's not legal to pump your own gas in that state. In fact they have no self serve gas stations. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??

What is the purpose of the law? Do they think people in Oregon are not as smart as the rest of us, and might blow themselves up at the gas pump? Is it a ploy to put more people to work, by having all those people pumping gas? ...or a scheme to somehow make more money for the state?

Living in Southern California...I LOVE "pay at the pump" You get in and get out fast...you don't have to deal with creepy employees working at the station...or stand in line, waiting for someone to pay for a Slurpee..before you can pay for your gas. PLUS...I want to fuel my Corvette myself...not having some "lame"....dragging the hose all over the body, and spilling gas on the paint.

Anyone familar with this Oregon law??
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I came across the same strange phenomenon and yes, it is a law, albeit, a stupid one. However, once they start the pump, you may stop it.

I think it has to do with safety, or stupidity, or lack of common sense.

Anyone is Oregon to chime in?

Last time I gassed up going through and they hit me up with the "We must pump your gas", I told him to hit the windows with the squeegee too.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Yep, that's Oregon law. Been that way for years. Think it has something to do with "hire a loser" since the California Legislature is filled up...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

New Jersey is the same way.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. Like stepping back in time. Be sure they don't fill it with regular.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I've heard of it and would not be happy about it either. Maybe thats why i have never taken a trip up there?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, that's a strange law. Many years ago on my first visit to Oregon, I went to gas up my rental car and the guy got upset that I touched the pump.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I kind of liked it, but if you need gas at 4:45 am, you'll be challenged to find a place open since you can't run it yourself. gotta keep ex-cons employed.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

I only have to go into Oregon as far as Eugene and back. So I guess I can top off in California, when I get near the state line....I don't need no stinkin pump jockey....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Yep, that's Oregon law. Been that way for years. Think it has something to do with "hire a loser" since the California Legislature is filled up...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Only gas they won't pump diesel. I knew about Oregon but not new jersey. One of their ex cons threatened to kick my *** for touching the pump. I pointed out he was not big enough to do that.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Its their way of keeping libs employed!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I had no idea and was in a rental car near the airport. The place was packed and he still went all nuts on me. Last time I was in Portland one of their dummys put regular in my Vette. It happens. The reason why it is not applied to diesel is when the card lock stations started popping up the state of Oregon went nutso. They made any company that had a furl card that could be used in Oregon train all their drivers how to pump fuel. I remember the training. It was one thing for me as I did go to Oregon once in a while. But it applied anywhere in the US to any driver with a CFN card. Oregon caved and exempted diesel. The one way around it is to go to a card lock station. Most take credit cards so anyone can by from them. The down side is most only sell diesel and regular gas.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

It looks like Oregon, doesn't want to join the 21st century....or even the 20th century. Probably before cars...you were not allowed to feed you own horse at the livery stable either....
Old 07-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

They and Jersey do it to create entry level jobs.

By making it a law, one station can not have an unfair advantage by charging less for self serve.

I pumped gas when I was a kid. back then, no one expected to have to get out of their car and do it themselves.

I washed their windows and checked their oil too.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom lives in Oregon and I don't have a problem with someone else putting gas in my car. All of the guys that have done it for me are very careful and ask about the windshield before touching it. I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably only fuel up once or twice, no big deal. You hand them your card they swipe it, no zip code, then start the pump, you can get out if you want, do your own windows or just sit in the car. They are also pretty quick at the stations I have been at. Most have 1-2 guys per bank of pumps, you are in and out in a jiffy.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSC62006
My mom lives in Oregon and I don't have a problem with someone else putting gas in my car. All of the guys that have done it for me are very careful and ask about the windshield before touching it. I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably only fuel up once or twice, no big deal. You hand them your card they swipe it, no zip code, then start the pump, you can get out if you want, do your own windows or just sit in the car. They are also pretty quick at the stations I have been at. Most have 1-2 guys per bank of pumps, you are in and out in a jiffy.
Thats my take on it eveytime I got gas there.

Get notified of new replies

To No Self Serve gas in Oregon?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I was in Oregon three months ago and I pumped my own gas. The third time I asked the attendant
if it was true about the rumor I've heard and he said that if they get caught the gas station would get a fine.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSC62006
Its not a big deal... I always get out and add Lucas to every tank and they don't care...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I pumped gas back in the day of the gas wars. Sometimes it got as low as .18 cents a gallon. Biggest PITA was I did backroom work too, and when it got busy had to stop and clean hands to pump gas ,Clean windows & check tires etc. Anyone remember WIKI WIKI DOLLARS from Chevron?? Supreme 104 octane @ .40 cents ,gal.?

Quick Reply: No Self Serve gas in Oregon?