Southern California Southern California

Got pulled over and ticketed last night, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got pulled over and ticketed last night, need some help

Last night I was pulled over for violating section 22107 - "unsafe turning" after making a lane change on the freeway. After pulling me over, the officer added a violation of 27151 "modified exhaust" and a violation of 5200(a) - No Front Plate. I assume that if I'm convicted of violating 22107 that I would get a point on my driving record, but i could get that removed by doing traffic school, right? But do you get any points on your license for violating 27151 or 5200? I would assume not, but you never know. Also the officer marked both the yes and no box for whether or not the 27151 is correctable... Which is it? And if I don't get any points on my record, can I just pay the fines for the 27151 and 5200 violations, or do I have to prove that I've "fixed" them? ::
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Last night I was pulled over for violating section 22107 - "unsafe turning" after making a lane change on the freeway. After pulling me over, the officer added a violation of 27151 "modified exhaust" and a violation of 5200(a) - No Front Plate. I assume that if I'm convicted of violating 22107 that I would get a point on my driving record, but i could get that removed by doing traffic school, right? But do you get any points on your license for violating 27151 or 5200? I would assume not, but you never know. Also the officer marked both the yes and no box for whether or not the 27151 is correctable... Which is it? And if I don't get any points on my record, can I just pay the fines for the 27151 and 5200 violations, or do I have to prove that I've "fixed" them? ::
Only one of those is a moving violation, so yes after traffic school you will have no points on your record. The other 2 can be paid off without correcting the offensive parts but it might not be directly stated on the ticket. I think you have to call the court and request it.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's marked as correctable, you can either just pay the full fine, or correct it and pay $25 each. As for marking both boxes, not sure what he would meant by that...
Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

So let me see if I have this straight. I just pay the fine for the exhaust and no front plate ticket, and those don't put any points on my record and are not moving violations. So just pay and forget about it, I don't even have to prove that I fixed anything if I pay the full priced ticket?

So that just leaves me with the unsafe lane change ticket? If that's the case, I think i will file a trial by declaration on that one and if I lose I can just do traffic school anyway, right? The reason he pulled me over for the lane change violation was that I was changing lanes back and forth between the two right hand lanes of the freeway, testing out the steering response of my new CCW wheels and tires. It was late at night and there was nobody else anywhere near me on the road, and I still used my turn signals and checked my mirrors before making each lane change, but I guess it just looked to weird and he had to pull me over. Of course it doesn't help that my car looks the way it does in my avatar
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

In your declaration state that there was tire pices in the road and you were tring to avoid. The exhaust violation could be quite expensive , every one adding on there fees.
Good luck on this. Tris
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quickc6
In your declaration state that there was tire pices in the road and you were tring to avoid. The exhaust violation could be quite expensive , every one adding on there fees.
Good luck on this. Tris
Definitely do the trial by by declaration, Tris above offers a good suggestion on what to write. State that you were "under" the speed limit and signaled to avoid the debris.

I always thgt the plate and exhaust were fix it tickets, meaning you had to fix first and then bring the car in to have it inspected at the station and signed off for a fee ($25 or so). I may not fully understand the options on this one though.

Are you running Friday with DH and I ?

Ed
Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

In the dark hours a Leo can be in the back of a back and watch a vehicle change lanes by watching the turn signals. They usually assume that person is speeding and go after them.. seen it happen.

The fix it tickets fines depend on the issuing agency I believe. L.A, charged me $25 for a no frt plate I received at LAX long term lot. Some agency's want to see it fixed and they will sign off on the citiation.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

If the citation was given my CHP, although I'm not 100% certain, I believe you have to get them fixed. I had a cite for window tint and front plate that I needed to get signed off, my local PD wouldn't do it because CHP had issued. Officer said if it had been anyone else he would have done it. Just my $.02.

By the way, what was illegal about the exhaust? Headers or loudness?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
How are you supposed to know if the agency wants an LEO to sign off on your repairs?
I think the real issue for you is that both are marked. I guess I'd make a phone call to your local CHP office.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the officer marked the exhaust violation as "non correctable", it's not a fix it ticket. I've had this happen before, the result was a fine and court fees.

Front plate is usually a fix it ticket, CHP does not charge anything as long as the plate is attached securely but the CHP is not open all the time. Sherrifs office is open 24 hours but they charge a fee to inspect the vehicle for the front plate.

Your moving violation will affect your driving record unless you take traffic school.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 AM
One Nut
Racer

A "friend of mine" got a no front plate ticket and only that. Had to fix and pony up the extortion fee of 135.00$. I dont know if it was city or HP, but he had personal plates and lost his 2nd plate so now he sports the standard issue. It wasn't me honestly but I refuse to pay that kind of doe for such a minor issue.
BTW it is the worst mod i"ve ever done.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:38 AM
One Nut
Racer

Also on the 3 offence for a fix-it ticket in the same year it turns into a point on your DR. as explaned to me by a Torance cop.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

My son got a ticket in LA for no front plate by the CHP and put the plate on and went to one of their offices and got it written off. The funny part is that they didn't even walk outside to see if the plate was on the front of his vette.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4 ME
My son got a ticket in LA for no front plate by the CHP and put the plate on and went to one of their offices and got it written off. The funny part is that they didn't even walk outside to see if the plate was on the front of his vette.
I got one on my pickup a while back CHP. Drilled holes in my bumper for the plate went to CHP he signed it at the desk and did not want to see the install.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by One Nut
Also on the 3 offence for a fix-it ticket in the same year it turns into a point on your DR. as explaned to me by a Torance cop.
I'm calling cop bs on this one
Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Jedsvet
Pro

I picked up a front plat ticket while parked in a wal*mart parking lot. It no option to fix-it, just pay the $55 fine. The wal*mart was located in Highland CA. The just want the money.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM
slo_z28
Instructor

Originally Posted by hercules rockefeller
i'm calling cop bs on this one
vc24004

Get notified of new replies

To Got pulled over and ticketed last night, need some help

Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
vetteguy2005
Racer

Default Pulled over

Tsk, tsk, tsk

Sorry to hear about the hassle.

Lost of good advice on this thread.

If you need a lawyer, Richard Evo has good traffic experience, some of it personal

Behave your self on the street, take it to the track.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Just saw this Rob

I never use the Freeway for pad bedding etc. You need to find a secluded road without cross streets

DH
Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 AM
TRBOKEV
Racer

You'll have to wait for your notice to come in the mail to see whats up with that double box checked for the exhaust...
I'm currently fighting a $195 no front plate ticket myself. (Cop checked it as non fix it after telling me it was)

Quick Reply: Got pulled over and ticketed last night, need some help