Southern California Southern California

Angeles Crest Cruise, Sunday May 15th!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM
A4Blk98SS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raining very hard down here in Anaheim. Can anyone closer to Angeles Crest tell me what the weather is like up there?

I need to make a decision in the next hour or so and I'm leaning towards postponing right now. It's pretty wet down here...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
A4Blk98SS
Racer

Confirmed no rain currently and dry ground. Let's do this thing:

See you up there!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
A4Blk98SS
Racer

Thanks to everyone for coming! I think we had something like 60 cars at Vons.

Unfortunately when we got to the first part of the road the CHP was there pulling cars over. About 40 cars turned around and headed out. Total bummer because the cops were only giving fix-it tickets for no front plate and were generally pretty cool about it. They didn't search cars, pop hoods, etc. They were pulling over everyone with no front plate, not just our cars. It was over quick and the CHP officer told my buddy that he could get it signed off with them for free or pay $20.

The remaining 20 of us headed up the mountain after that. It was a fantastic drive, NODOBY on the road. There were some scattered rocks, but that was it.

Thanks for coming and sorry to all you guys that turned around
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm one of the ones that turned around. I didn't even realize it was because of CHP; I assumed the road was closed. Now I'm glad I followed blindly since I don't run a front plate.

Can you update this thread once the cruise video is uploaded?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 AM
mac823
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyavonee
I'm one of the ones that turned around. I didn't even realize it was because of CHP; I assumed the road was closed. Now I'm glad I followed blindly since I don't run a front plate.

You missed out BIG TIME. The ticket was WELL worth it...especially since it can EASILY be signed off. We were pretty much ALL alone on the whole canyon road! We carved it up big time and had soooo much fun! I'm so stoked I went and could care less about a little fix-it ticket!

Oh and directly from the cops "If we had to pick a car out of all of them we would want to own yours" Hahahaha yesssss. They were actually really nice guys.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
JRS_C5
Intermediate

Yeah, I turned around too. Also assumed the road was just closed. We tried calling Sean's # but only got voicemail, so we just went home.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I heard that folks were turning around because of "50", and not sure of why the stops, I went for it and was waived through. I didn't realize that it was because I had a front plate. I decided to wait up a Newcomb's and have lunch while waiting. When I saw the group go by I was deep into lunch so waited till I was done before following them up the rest of the way. I only got about half-way when I spotted them coming down. U-turn made and followed them back to Newcomb's but since I'd already eaten decided just to head back home. It was another nice day on the mountain when the sun broke through. A little chilly but not bad.

There is always another day to drive the mountain. Rumors seem to indicate that first of June the lower part of 2 might open again or Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mac823
The ticket was WELL worth it...especially since it can EASILY be signed off.
You mean by actually attaching the plate and driving to a CHP office to get it checked? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

We were pretty much ALL alone on the whole canyon road! We carved it up big time and had soooo much fun!
So then you guys went faster after the CHP roadblock? Before that point the caravan was moving too slowly for my taste.

Oh and directly from the cops "If we had to pick a car out of all of them we would want to own yours" Hahahaha yesssss. They were actually really nice guys.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it was a great cruise for those who stayed. We where going at a spirited pace let's put it that way. Now just have to get the ticket signed off and pay california their union money. Well worth it though.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM
A4Blk98SS
Racer

I'll definitely update the thread when we get all the media up
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 AM
TRBOKEV
Racer

Glad I missed this... I'm currently fighting a 195 dollar no front plate ticket.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 AM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV
Glad I missed this... I'm currently fighting a 195 dollar no front plate ticket.
Wtf how did you get that one. I got a no front plate but its a fix it ticket. They write you up non fixable?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 AM
mac823
Instructor

You mean by actually attaching the plate and driving to a CHP office to get it checked? Or is there something else I'm missing here?
No I got a ticket for no front license plate....that didn't matter to me though lol. The cruise was well worth the 20-25 bucks.

So then you guys went faster after the CHP roadblock? Before that point the caravan was moving too slowly for my taste.
Hahaha trust me...we went A LOT faster than the caravan was going....it was pretty insane. We had so much fun!! Basically the girlfriend was holding the oh **** handle the whole time lol.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hahaha yuppp...that seriously was said....No lie!!

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV
Lol so then it wasn't just a no front plate ticket....either other stuff was involved or you just never paid it and it kept getting more and more expensive
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 AM
TRBOKEV
Racer

Originally Posted by heypal
Wtf how did you get that one. I got a no front plate but its a fix it ticket. They write you up non fixable?
Yeah I got pulled over for ONLY not having th front plate, no other offense...
The officer told me I could put the plate on and get it signed off; then I get the notice in the mail with 195 bail ammount! I checked the ticket and notice the officer didnt check it off as dismisable...
It could be an error since the ticket was PDA generateed, or possibly a new money revenue stunt?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

You should definitely investigate that ticket before paying it. It should be $25 if it's only for no front plate.

Quick Reply: Angeles Crest Cruise, Sunday May 15th!