Southern California Southern California

Moving to California

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM
JRS_C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to California

Hello everyone, I currently live in Florida and I will be moving to Burbank, Ca in the next month. What should I look out for in terms of illegal modifications and requirements? Are things like radar detectors allowed? I also have a Gtimer on my front windshield. Are front plates a requirement, etc..... Will I have to have my car inspected when I get there and what do they look for ?

Thank you for any help on this matter.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to SoCal

Radar detectors are legal (disable X-band if your unit has that feature; cops don't use it in CA)

Front plates are technically required, but it seems that most Corvettes (including mine) and other nice sports cars don't have them. Just be prepared for a ticket if you're parked at a meter while the meter maids are patrolling.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Headers if you have them will be a problem when you go for inspection. Also check to see your car is 50 states legal. If not it might be harder or more costly to get it passed. Radar detectors are fine. Tint on the doors is illegal but I have had it on all my cars out here. Front plate is required and use a removable plate for parking. Cops don't bother with it too much but meter maids will get ya!

You are gonna hate the cost of registering the car here it's not $40 here. It's based on car value with a c5 you might be anywhere from $350 to $500 i really don't know but it is not cheap.

Good luck
Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

As the others have stated a front plate is required but most dont display one. Tint on your side window is not permitted but some have it and dont get bothered.

Now, if you have engine mods that is where the problem will be. Before you can register the car you will have to have a smog test, this includes a tailpipe sniff test and a visual inspection. If you pass, the info will be sent electronically to dmv and you will get a copy. You must then go to your local dmv (an appointment is recommended but not required). DMV will do a "vin" inspection which also includes a check of your emissions sticker. You do not have to have a CA emissions sticker on your car IF the car is at least 1 year old since purchased, AND you must have 7500 miles on the car. Then they will pull a gun on you and rob you of your money. In exchange for that you will get 2 license plates and the month/year stickers

If you do have mods on your car, they may have to be removed depending on what they are.

Last edited by bearphoto; 01-14-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Out here the smog check includes a visual inspection. You can be illegal even if it runs clean. There a no legal long tube headers. Some folks have had problems with CAI add-ons. Any add-on requires a CARB number.

The visual part is the hard part if you have changed anything.

Many engine internals are illegal, but they can't be seen/inspected.

If your car does not run clean, it will not pass.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JRS_C5
Hello everyone, I currently live in Florida and I will be moving to Burbank, Ca in the next month. What should I look out for in terms of illegal modifications and requirements? Are things like radar detectors allowed? I also have a Gtimer on my front windshield. Are front plates a requirement, etc..... Will I have to have my car inspected when I get there and what do they look for ?

Welcome to California. Your tax dollars are much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it. It's a freakin mess here. I can't wait to get out.....

Northern Cal is better.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you are running long tubes, contact some of the local Vette guys when you get out here, they can help you out. You will have a grace period of 30 days before you get it registered.That can be a subjective 30days as it depends on what day you want to finally get moved here. I and many,many others have been running them for years.

Last edited by Varmit; 01-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
SueTaing
Racer

Smoged recently and had a Carbon Fiber CAI and K&N filter not carb but I had some carb stickers left over and stuck it on incase but i dont even think he looked at it.

He did do quite a thorough inspection on all the lines though. Passed easily.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Joezone914
Headers if you have them will be a problem when you go for inspection. Also check to see your car is 50 states legal. If not it might be harder or more costly to get it passed. Radar detectors are fine. Tint on the doors is illegal but I have had it on all my cars out here. Front plate is required and use a removable plate for parking. Cops don't bother with it too much but meter maids will get ya!

You are gonna hate the cost of registering the car here it's not $40 here. It's based on car value with a c5 you might be anywhere from $350 to $500 i really don't know but it is not cheap.

Good luck
Joe
Just renewed the registration on my '03 C5Z today...$210.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
JRS_C5
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I currently only have a cold air intake and a cat back. The car also used to be an automatic. I just wasn't sure if it would be easier to get rid of the car in Florida then get another in Cali that is already legal. So i might have to find a stock airbox for inspection? or chances are that i'm ok? Here they also started charging you for the car's weight and value when you go to register. Only thing they don't do is inspect anything.

BumbleZ
it's a mess everywhere I think. Everyone around here can't wait to get out either.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

I currently only have a cold air intake and a cat back... So i might have to find a stock airbox for inspection? or chances are that i'm ok?
You'll probably be OK but I suppose there's no guarantee. Worst case scenario you can borrow a nearby forum member's stock airbox to pass inspection. Mine is taking up space in my coat closet.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to welcome ya to CA.

Are you military? I am not sure but I think military are exempt from smog cert. (???)
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
JRS_C5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pablocruise
Just wanted to welcome ya to CA.

Are you military? I am not sure but I think military are exempt from smog cert. (???)
Thanks, nope, not in the millitary.

Thanks again everyone for the info. maybe I'll see you guys around.

What about HIDs?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

BION, You can fail the CA smog test just by disconnecting and reconnecting your battery!

THIS IS A WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE TAKING THEIR "COMPUTER" CAR IN FOR A SMOG CHECK!

My '99 Aurora (Northstar engine) just failed smog because I had disconnected the battery and the car had not yet been driven enough miles to reset the computer flags before I took it in for smog check.

If they don't see that the computer flags are present (and no error codes are set), YOU FAIL even if everything is pristine and all emissions are within their thresholds, as they were.

Been there done that, going back today.

PS:

I picked up the car from the shop yesterday (who again disconnected the battery) and went back today for a re-test with ~160 miles since the battery disconnect. I did a couple hot and cold starts, ran through the canyons/freeways/city driving, and a fuel fill. All of the computer systems had re-set and the car passed the "functional" test and smog check.

Last edited by toddalin; 01-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to Burbank

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to California

Quick Reply: Moving to California