Southern California Southern California

Dealer search continues... Bob Stall?... next!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer search continues... Bob Stall?... next!

MY used C5 Z06 is my first Chevy. I am desperately searching for an honest & fair dealer in San Diego. I have an extended GMPP warranty, but it does me no good if I can't find a dealer I can trust.

I originally used Jimmie Johnson because it was close to work. They had it for service and after confirming that all the work was done on their lot, they couldn't explain the 3.5 miles put on my car. Their lot isn't that big.

I know alot of people think that to be a petty complaint, but to me, it is a measure of a dealer's integrity. The only miles put on my car should be directly involved in the repair/service. Not for a joy ride, not for a personal errand, and not to go to lunch. I also don't think that combining one of the above with a test drive is ethical. I believe it shows a lack of respect for others property and that attitude will eventually be reflected in other aspects of their work/service. Also, even if it's just a couple miles, I can't believe someone going on a fun drive in a vette is going to drive it in a manner that I would approve...

I solicited recommendations from the Forum and several dealers were mentioned. The top were Bob Stall(La Mesa), Quality (Escondido), and Courtesy (Mission Valley).

I decided to give Bob Stall a try. I figured since they sell a lot of vettes, they should have vette experienced techs.

I had two warranty repairs; a leaky differential & a passenger window problem. I also had them change the oil and flush the radiator while it was in their care.

The service advisor was courteous and helpful, but the end result was a little disappointing. The work appears to be well done, but I had two issues...

The first was a dirty car.
I dropped off a very clean car. I had washed & wiped it with detail spray before being covered three days before. I spot wiped it again, after removing the cover to take them the car. When I got the car back, there was a layer of dirt on it and hand prints all over the driver door, driver window, and several on the rear deck. When I say hand prints, I mean very visible, smeared hand prints. While I certainly don't expect them to detail my car for me, I expect it to be returned in a condition similar to how it was delivered to them.

The second was my pet peeve, unaccounted for mileage.
I recorded the mileage when I dropped it off and when I picked it up. As I looked at their paperwork, they list the starting mileage and the mileage is also listed after each job on the form. Cool...... an actual accounting of why and how much they drove my car... way cool. I read where they accounted for the miles for the test drive after the differential repair, and the last job showed no additional miles. The paperwork showed the mileage when returned to the owner. When I got in to drive away, there were a few extra miles showing on the odometer. Here we go.....

Did the tech just guess on the miles for the test drive? If so, what else did he just make up on the invoice that he was too lazy to do or list properly?

Did he misrepresent the miles he drove on the test drive? If so, what is he trying to hide?

Did someone just take the car for a quick ride after it was finished?

The service advisor "assured me" that no one took my car for a joy ride. While I would like to believe him, their own paperwork suggests there's a problem of some type. His assurances and random suggestions of what may have happened, only highlighted the fact that he has no idea what, if anything, happened.

While I know I'm picky, I don't believe I'm unreasonable. These two issues leave me skeptical about leaving my car in their care....

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I'd share my experience.

The next closest dealer is Courtesy, I guess they will be next in my never ending search for a dealer I feel I can trust....

Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Your not unreasonable. Mick, the bob stall service advisor gave me some bs about why I had to pay for the column lock recall twice. they lost my bussiness.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
LloydS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch FRC
Your not unreasonable. Mick, the bob stall service advisor gave me some bs about why I had to pay for the column lock recall twice. they lost my bussiness.
"Pay" for a recall? Is this the norm?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I didnt think one would have to pay for a recall
Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

This reminds me of my experience MANY years ago. I had taken my sisiter to pickup her car from the dealer for warranty transmission replacement. (Actually the 2nd one in a Ford Mustang II with a 302 and A/t). While she's driving home I notice that all of a sudden she becomes very frantic while driving.

We pulled over and she's got a pink slip of paper in her hand that had fallen from behind a windshield sunvisor. It's a citation for speeding, at 12:30....... in the morning!!

Dealership manager had no idea how anything like this could happen. Idiot!!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it's the price of dealing with a Chevy dealer, I have always said that the Caddy dealer should be selling Corvettes.

When my daughter in law takes her Beamer to the dealer, even for just an oil change, they always wash and vacuum her Beamer, that's what we should be expecting from a Corvette dealer.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoHo
I guess it's the price of dealing with a Chevy dealer, I have always said that the Caddy dealer should be selling Corvettes.

When my daughter in law takes her Beamer to the dealer, even for just an oil change, they always wash and vacuum her Beamer, that's what we should be expecting from a Corvette dealer.
Bob Stall always washes my Vette if it's there overnight. You're correct about BMW, Cunningham always washed my BMW before I got it back. On Saturdays you could take it in for a free wash. They may have quite the Saturday thing.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
rickko
Drifting

Originally Posted by hattitude
... next closest dealer is Courtesy, I guess they will be next in my never ending search for a dealer I feel I can trust....

I've used City a few times.

1st time I took the vette to them the service manager had me join in in a walk around the car noting every tiny nick or scratch on the paint or wheels which he logged on the work order so I couldn't say they did it. I liked that.

Ask for Dick Bandy (a service mgr.) He's been there a long, long time; dealt with lots of customers, knows how **** Corvette owners are and seems to be on your side of any issues with your car. Example: I mentioned a particular repair but the car is out of warranty so wondered the cost. He winked and said, "I think I can take care of it. Bring it in when it fails."

Because the get such a small allotment of Corvettes I don't think they service that many so they aren't as careless as someone might be who works on them day after day after day.

If you do try City on Morena, PM me with your experience. I'm curious what you think.

I'm not a B Stall fan. They seem to always have a lot of work to do so getting your vette back the same day never seems to happen. One time I used them was for the Corvette Club membership discount on an aftermarket part. Turned out, had I ordered it from gmpartsdirect I'd even got a better deal! Their list prices are outrageous.

I forgot this: When I was 1st in the market for a vette I gave a B Stall sales guy my wishes (I was very flexible). He never ever called me back! After waiting about 4 months I ended up buying my 1st vette from a dealership in Minnesota (via internet) and having it shipped to me. The guy lost a sale and my respect for their integrity because my request was very simple; low mileage '04 convertible.

..r..

Last edited by rickko; 06-10-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
mrt1
Instructor

Default Dealer Repair

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to expect a dealer to treat your car as if it was their own. Every Corvette dealer has to know how us owners are about our cars. After all, our cars come to the their shop spotless and immaculate.

I try to stay away from dealer repairs except when I have no choice, ie. recalls, etc. When that is needed, I take mine to Tom Bell Chevy in Redlands and I have always had great service. I always ask them to not wash my car. Have you ever been back to those washing stalls at dealerships? They usually have very young guys working there that have no respect for the detail that is needed when cleaning a plastic car. You'll see towels laying on the ground, which I can only assume are used on the car. Caustic soaps are used as well. It's a Corvette owners nightmare. And yes, it's a very dusty, dirty place. But I'm very particular about what is used on my car. So I always get my car back dirty. And it's always a tough drive home. I just don't want anyone to see my car in that condition.

I believe it is best to get your car serviced and repaired by mechanics that know and love the Corvette. You just have to be able to trust the repair shop enough that you can leave the car there without worry of joy rides, filthy towels on the body and the like. Depending on the service rendered, a test drive may be necessary. But you should know that upfront.

Last edited by mrt1; 06-06-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duke/Earl
Bob Stall always washes my Vette if it's there overnight.
Wow... Mine was there overnight also....

They obviously like you more than me.......
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickko
I've used Courtesy a few times.

Ask for Dick Bandy (a service mgr.) He's been there a long, long time; dealt with lots of customers, knows how **** Corvette owners are and seems to be on your side of any issues with your car.

If you do try Courtesy, PM me with your experience. I'm curious what you think.
Thanks for the info........

Hopefully I won't need to go back to a dealer for awhile.....

Next warranty issue I will give Courtesy a try. I'll save your info and drop you a note about how they did....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
bugbugbug
Intermediate

I recommend the service department of Jimmie Johnson. The service manager there is a nice guy who really want you to be satisfied with your car. They work very fast, usually it's done on the same day. They fixed a couple of rattling with very good results and they washed my car even though it has only been there 1 day and it was dirty when it got there. I have been to several dealer's service department and so far they treated me the best.

Come in 2nd place is Courtesy Chevrolet in Mission Valley. The actually fixed a rattling noise after I being turned away from Bob Stall.

I did not have good experience at Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa.
I had to go Bob Stall twice to get them admit the door rattling noise, even after that they didn't fix it right away. My service advisor said she will call me to set an appointment but never did. I never got anything actually fixed there even though the car had been there for 2 weeks mostly waiting in a queue (they are very busy). I did oil change there and from oil analysis report and the color of oil after the change I suspect they didn't drain all the oil probably to cut cost.

Last edited by bugbugbug; 06-12-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Originally Posted by bugbugbug
I recommend the service department of Jimmie Johnson. I have been to several dealer's service department and so far they treated me the best.

Come in 2nd place is Courtesy Chevrolet in Mission Valley. The actually fixed a rattling noise after I being turned away from Bob Stall.

Unfortunately, Jimmie Johnson is the 1st one I tried. They put 3.5 miles on my car when it was taken in for a dash light problem. A problem they neither found nor fixed...... blamed me for not turning up the switch enough.

Several people have suggested Courtesy, I'll be trying Courtesy next.

Thanks for the info..
Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
79inSD
Racer

I personally like the small shops. My C5Z is at Top Flight Corvette right now for GMPP warranty work. The adjuster is coming out tomorrow to check out the car, I have a leak just like you, and my window motor is out. I have also used Dave Meyers Corvette as well. I personally like it when I pull up and they remember me. Just look them up on Yahoo yellow pages. By the way, this is my first time using Top Flight. But I have talked to them on the phone for info and they helped me out. I have asked info from the Dealerships and got nothing.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Originally Posted by 79inSD
I personally like the small shops. My C5Z is at Top Flight Corvette right now for GMPP warranty work.
I thought about using Top Flight for some other work that I eventually did myself. I'd like to hear how they treated you when they are done.

I like smaller shops too, just hard to tell who's good and who's a hack.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They obviously like you more than me.......
Two pick-up trucks, three Corvettes and one Tahoe in the last seven years, they do like me....
Old 06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
rjensen3
Pro

Location: San Diego, CA, Point Loma-Home to the USN & USMC. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.

I thought about using Top Flight for some other work that I eventually did myself. I'd like to hear how they treated you when they are done.

I like smaller shops too, just hard to tell who's good and who's a hack.
Guess you will hear good and bad about all shops.
In the past, I have used Courtesy and everytime my car is filthy.
One time, someone spilled coffee on the passenger seat and every tiime the car has greasy handprints on the roof, hood and around the door.

Courtesy did my first oil change and did not check any of my fluids. My vette overheated due to an extremely low coolant level. Now, I don't mind taking responsibility for my car, but when it is new, I expect the fluids to be filled and when they do an oil change I expect them to check the fluid levels; afterall, since they are charging $100 - they need to do something.

I've used City and even though I was the second car in line that morning, they bumped me to the end of their work day, I'm sure so they could do more costly repairs on other vettes.

Top Flight installed my vortex s/c, and although I thought they did a good job, I was told the intercooler was too close to the radiator and A&A had to move it. TF said they don't normally do programming, but as a favor they would programmed my s/c for $550. What an error in judgement on my part taking him up on that offer - Lawton is a nice guy, but never got the programming right. My experience with him has not been great and has cost me money, so I can't really refer you to him without some reservations.

I will use Bob Stahl for my upcoming oil change because I understand you can get an appointment and wait. I don't think you are unreasonable . . . heck, I wipe down my car with anti-bacterial wipes when I get it back for any service shop - I would be livid if I thought they took my vette for a joy-ride. I must say, Courtesy was always good about that, but that is not to say there isn't the chance that you might get burned there, too.

It's a drag - we have such neat cars and have to deal with such buttheads.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer search continues... Bob Stall?... next!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

One thing to remember is that mechanics and service managers move on and a dealership may have totally new people taking care of your car from one year to the next.

I've been taking my car to Courtesy since 2001 and they have never done me wrong. I purposely tell them NOT to wash my car because all it takes is for you to look at ANY new dealerships new cars on the lot (in bright sunlight) to see the effect that the lot help's slightly-dirty towels have on the paint surface. All it takes is a grain of sand on a towel and you'll have scratch city everywhere - no thanks!

In summation, Courtesy has been great, but who knows who's working there now. That being said, I will have them flush my brake fluid, soon, so I should be able to get a sense of how consistent they are.

Dave
Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

My car was stolen from courtesy.... but they had done good mechanical work and body work on my car....
Old 06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch FRC
I didnt think one would have to pay for a recall

Quick Reply: Dealer search continues... Bob Stall?... next!