Southern California Southern California

4th Annual Eastern Sierra Cruise - Lone Pine - June 2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchican
Well... most of us have the mentality of 8 year olds... does that count?
Actually Tommy, most of us in the GOCC have the mentality of 16 year-olds, YOU bring the average down to 8.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
David Garren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called today and confirmed our reservation at the Dow Villa. My wife and I can't wait. All I have to do now is get the new a/v sysyem installed in the next few weeks.
See you all soon.
Dave
Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Cruiser
Now BOYS!!!
Tommy and I discussed this like mature adults, we'll let you spank us later.
Bruce
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

Default How'd I miss this!

Well I guess I blew this one, I've been pretty busy lately and lost touch with the Ridgecrest crowd but I think we will show up in Lone Pine for the party. I know you are full but if there is any cancellations let me know and we will be there.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RidgecrestC5
Well I guess I blew this one, I've been pretty busy lately and lost touch with the Ridgecrest crowd but I think we will show up in Lone Pine for the party. I know you are full but if there is any cancellations let me know and we will be there.
You're invited. Check on room availability right away. You're part of the family...late or not

Stan0
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Test first . . .

Originally Posted by stano
You're invited. Check on room availability right away. You're part of the family...late or not

Stan0
I dunno', StanO, you're pretty easy on him. I think he should at least have to take a test first.

So, Dennis (RidgecrestC5), here we go. What's the terminal airspeed velocity of a fully laden swallow? Get this right and you're in. (OK, you're in anyway, but give it a try)
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
VegasRed2001
Instructor

African or European swallow?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

So, Dennis (RidgecrestC5), here we go. What's the terminal airspeed velocity of a fully laden swallow? Get this right and you're in. (OK, you're in anyway, but give it a try)[/QUOTE]

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
stano
Safety Car

So, Dennis (RidgecrestC5), here we go. What's the terminal airspeed velocity of a fully laden swallow? Get this right and you're in. (OK, you're in anyway, but give it a try)
Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour. [/QUOTE]

Gosh I'm sorry Dennis, but that's incorrect. You failed to factor in a head wind velocity at an altitude of 897 ft. ( normal flying altitude ) along with the current humidity at that moment. Factoring in a head wind of 3 knots ( I'm sure that's what it was at the time of your calculation ) and with humidity at 35% , it would give you a negative factor of 6 which changes your estimate of 11 meters per second or 24 miles an hour. So, the European Swallow flying into a head wind of 3 knots at 897 ft. at 35% humidity changes the cruising speed to 14.25 miles per hour.....assuming it's a fully matured male and not a female European Swallow.

Sorry Dennis, you won't be able to join in on the fun. But the good news is, Kelly can still come!

Tidbit of info: The fully matured African male only cruises at 11.14 miles per hour....it doesn't eat as well as the European male does and probably has some disease

Last edited by stano; 05-08-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gosh I'm sorry Dennis, but that's incorrect. You failed to factor in a head wind velocity at an altitude of 897 ft. ( normal flying altitude ) along with the current humidity at that moment. Factoring in a head wind of 3 knots ( I'm sure that's what it was at the time of your calculation ) and with humidity at 35% , it would give you a negative factor of 6 which changes your estimate of 11 meters per second or 24 miles an hour. So, the European Swallow flying into a head wind of 3 knots at 897 ft. at 35% humidity changes the cruising speed to 14.25 miles per hour.....assuming it's a fully matured male and not a female European Swallow.

I love female European swallow Sorry, you set us up for that!

Last edited by spiral04; 05-08-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Sierra Cruiser
Advanced

Originally Posted by stano
She was going to give you a tongue lashing.....oh well.....
I'm staying out of this!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sierra Cruiser
I'm staying out of this!!!

Ok, who got ahold of my password....
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM
GreenEyedBandit
Instructor

Female swallows, tongue lashings...I think I'm going to have to cancel this trip...my virgin ears and eyes cannot handle such things :o
Old 05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
BearCreekC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreenEyedBandit
Female swallows, tongue lashings...I think I'm going to have to cancel this trip...my virgin ears and eyes cannot handle such things :o

Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BearCreekC6
I agree Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour. [/QUOTE]

Right or wrong, you're in. I'm still laughing . . .

See ya' there, Dennis.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BlackOps
Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

See ya' there, Dennis.

Get notified of new replies

To 4th Annual Eastern Sierra Cruise - Lone Pine - June 2007

Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 AM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

See ya' there, Dennis.[/QUOTE]

AHEM....the actual question was TERMINAL airspeed, not AVERAGE CRUISING airspeed. If we can't follow directions....we must be GOCC or at least FOCCers.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"

Originally Posted by xtream1

AHEM....the actual question was TERMINAL airspeed, not AVERAGE CRUISING airspeed. If we can't follow directions....we must be GOCC or at least FOCCers.
And "Terminal" airspeed is of course how fast that little sucker is flying when someone unloads a 12 gauge in his direction and brings him down.
Bruce
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b_pappy
And "Terminal" airspeed is of course how fast that little sucker is flying when someone unloads a 12 gauge in his direction and brings him down.
Bruce

I think you're confusing "terminal air speed" with "escape velocity"!

Quick Reply: 4th Annual Eastern Sierra Cruise - Lone Pine - June 2007