Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Best Arkansas places to visit & drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Best Arkansas places to visit & drive

All,

Will be doing museum pickup in May-June'ish and we're trying to determine our route home back to Austin. We've back tracked through the Smokies, done the Dragon, Natchez Trace (love them all) but figured we'd try something new this time.

I have heard 2nd hand that Eureka Springs, Hot Springs are good places to visit & drive but we've never been to AR.

Any input from you folks that have first hand info on good places to visit/drive/vette-friendly lodging/etc would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Be sure and sample Ark. 23 running south from Eureka "the pig tail trail".

Congrats and have fun.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ben dover
Be sure and sample Ark. 23 running south from Eureka "the pig tail trail".

Congrats and have fun.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could catch Hy 412 in Mo. at I-55. 412 Goes across the north part of Ar. through some pretty country. If you wanting to go to Eureka Springs stay on 412 until Harrison then catch Hy 62 to Eureka. Stay a night in Eureka as there are some sites to see. Thorn Crown Chapel, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuse, and shopping and eating in Eureka all nice things to do. From there, as has been said, take Hy 23 south, aka the "pig trail" is a great drive. I would stay on 23 until Hy 10 then go east and go up Mt. Magazine which is the highest Mt. in Ar. There's a lodge there and might want to reserve a room. From there you could east on Hy 10 to Hy 7 and take it to Hot Springs. Several things to do and see there. I would suggest if you spend the night there you stay at http://1890williamshouse.com/ From Hot Springs I-30 isn't far and would take you into Texas.
If you consider staying on Mt. Magazine or the B&B in Hot Springs I'd make reservations. Mt. Magazine is a state park and has a great lodge there.
Just my suggestion.....others may chime in.....
Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lil red vette
You could catch Hy 412 in Mo. at I-55. 412 Goes across the north part of Ar. through some pretty country. If you wanting to go to Eureka Springs stay on 412 until Harrison then catch Hy 62 to Eureka. Stay a night in Eureka as there are some sites to see. Thorn Crown Chapel, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuse, and shopping and eating in Eureka all nice things to do. From there, as has been said, take Hy 23 south, aka the "pig trail" is a great drive. I would stay on 23 until Hy 10 then go east and go up Mt. Magazine which is the highest Mt. in Ar. There's a lodge there and might want to reserve a room. From there you could east on Hy 10 to Hy 7 and take it to Hot Springs. Several things to do and see there. I would suggest if you spend the night there you stay at http://1890williamshouse.com/ From Hot Springs I-30 isn't far and would take you into Texas.
If you consider staying on Mt. Magazine or the B&B in Hot Springs I'd make reservations. Mt. Magazine is a state park and has a great lodge there.
Thanks for the detailed input!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
trawler
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

If you like history don't miss Pee Ridge National battlefield, same area as Eureka Springs
Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trawler
If you like history don't miss Pee Ridge National battlefield, same area as Eureka Springs
Cool. Thanks for the input! Pee Ridge....makes me wonder how it got its name.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Out of curiosity does the williamshouse have Vette friendly parking? I know this is a loose term but I figured I'd ask. We'll be in a brand new C7 so I'll be extra nervious during that time.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

'lil red vette'.....he's got you covered. For a trip through the state....go the route he said.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

Yes Williamshouse will take care of your baby. I'll tell Lynda to give you a prime spot....Be sure and make reservations asap as it only has 9 rooms and will be busy that time of year.
BTW......It's Pea Ridge.....
PM me when you know when you'll be there....Would like to come meet and see that C7!!

Last edited by lil red vette; 03-18-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:06 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Yes Williamshouse will take care of your baby. I'll tell Lynda to give you a prime spot....Be sure and make reservations asap as it only has 9 rooms and will be busy that time of year.
BTW......It's Pea Ridge.....
PM me when you know when you'll be there....Would like to come meet and see that C7!!
Thanks lil red. Looks like a great place to stay. Unfortunately we'll have to wing it (reservations) as I'm still at 1100 on the new car so I don't even know what month it will be. May is currently just a dealer (Rick Conti) estimate. I'll keep you in mind and let you know if we make it through the area. I'd really like to!!

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Scenic 7 has a few good curves up in the mountains. And the Pig's Tail south of Eureka Springs.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

If you go to Eureka Springs and want to go to Pea Ridge civil war park leave town on Hy 23 north to Hy 187 which will take you across Arkansas' "Little Golden Gate Bridge". It's a suspension one lane bridge with a place to pull off and take pics. Stay on it and it will take you to Hy 62 just a few miles from Pea Ridge.
Leaving Hot Springs go Hy 7 south to I-30.
FYI....I was on 412 today and three gas stations in the town Salem has ethanol free gas.....there are more along the highway if you want to use that gas....
Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Anyone have any suggestions for a "nicer" (not just a motel) to stay in Eureka?

Nevermind....think the plan is to stay at the Mt. Magazine one night and hopefully the williamshouse. We'll see how the museum delivery and room availability work out. : )

lil red vette I'll be in touch if we make it through there.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 04-17-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
Anyone have any suggestions for a "nicer" (not just a motel) to stay in Eureka?

Nevermind....think the plan is to stay at the Mt. Magazine one night and hopefully the williamshouse. We'll see how the museum delivery and room availability work out. : )

lil red vette I'll be in touch if we make it through there.
If still looking, you could check with John at Dogwood Cabins. Behind the old Holiday Inn (different name now) in the curve. Kinda private, good people. Or the Heartstone B & B.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Cool. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Hey ArcticWhiteZ51......Picked up that beauty yet? Still wanting to make the drive through Ar.?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

lil red, Yes we did pick her up, May 14. Very eventful trip with monsoons in BG, some small (harmless hail), etc. We only had time for one day (for AR) in Hot Springs on the way home.....at Williamshouse. Great suggestion. We spent that day driving up to Mt Magazine and back. Very nice especially since break-in was over. At the top we were in the clouds but still a great time. Sorry we didn't have time to hook up. It was a little hectic. Turns out that Lynda is from Austin probably 20mi from our house. Small world. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 06-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Glad you got the car picked up and had a good time while in Ar. Mt. Magazine is a nice place. Yes, Lynda is a Texan too. I'm sure she took good care of you and your car while there. Wish we could have met, but I understand your schedule was hectic!! Enjoy the new C7 and come back to visit anytime!!

Get notified of new replies

To Best Arkansas places to visit & drive

Quick Reply: Best Arkansas places to visit & drive