Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Taking a road rip down to tail of Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Taking a road rip down to tail of Dragon

There is a group of us taking a spring road trip to tail of the Dragon in June. We will be in Pigeon Forge on June 18th and 19 then head to tail of the dragon on June 20th spending the night in Ashville to tour the Biltmore on the 21st then driving to Nashville the afternoon of the 21st to spend the evening in Music City.

Is there any suggestions on places to visit or good places to eat along our route. We are also looking for any car events that might be going on these days. It would be great if we could find a local car show to pop in on.

It looks like there will be a group of at least 3 or 4 Corvettes, one pontiac G8 and possibly a new Fender version Beetle going however the list could grow after we get all the trip planned.

I have not made any hotel reservations yet however did a little checking on on options and pricing, any suggestions from the locals would be great.

Thanks
Phil
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 AM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Tail of Dragon is cool - stop by the tree of shame on the bottom end of the NC side. Also the NC county where TOD is - is a dry county - so stop by the ABC store on the way there.

I highly recommend taking the Cherohala Skyway as well - checkout Bald River Falls...

Food - lots of places for BBQ in the area - others might have better opinions.

Asheville - highly recommend the brewery bus tour - I think there are 10+ breweries up in Asheville - my favorite being Highland Brewing Company.

Biltmore - checkout the Winery - they have a very good wine tasting room and prices are decent.

Pigeon Forge - even more of a tourist trap - the Titanic museum is pretty nice, depending on the weekend you are there - they might be doing there annual "Pigeon Forge Rod Run"

Also - Pigeon Forge is in a dry county - you need to go the ABC store down in other town.

Nashville is a tourist trap - I recommend the Redneck Comedy bus tour, the country music hall of fame, and stopping by Cooter's place - guy from Dukes of Hazzard's place.

If you need more info - I've been to all the places you mentioned - all recently too.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a little east of Asheville, but the Diamondback and Devils Whip loop is a great drive. While here in Asheville, gotta go to either Tupelo Honey (southern comfort food) or 12 Bones (ribs) if not both downtown, then hit the Thirsty Monk for drinks. Just wander around downtown for drinks, music, food, shopping, and people watching (drum circles lol). The guys can chill outside with excellent local brews while the ladies go shopping or whatever they like to do.

DONT waste the whole day at Biltmore or you'll really be selling yourself short- just go there, run through, get the t-shirt then go downtown. Trust me.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by c4_4ya
It's a little east of Asheville, but the Diamondback and Devils Whip loop is a great drive. While here in Asheville, gotta go to either Tupelo Honey (southern comfort food) or 12 Bones (ribs) if not both downtown, then hit the Thirsty Monk for drinks. Just wander around downtown for drinks, music, food, shopping, and people watching (drum circles lol). The guys can chill outside with excellent local brews while the ladies go shopping or whatever they like to do.

DONT waste the whole day at Biltmore or you'll really be selling yourself short- just go there, run through, get the t-shirt then go downtown. Trust me.
That depends on whether you want to drink beer and look through little craft shops or see some of the country's best architecture and craftsmanship. If you are going to spend the $40 to get into Biltmore Estate its a total waste to just buy a tee shirt and leave, especially when you can get Tee's at Biltmore Village which is outside the estate.

IMO, there's lots of places to drink beer and listen to music. There's only one place to see Biltmore. Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to do some more research this weekend based off the information you have provided. it does look like I need to reduce the time in Gatlinburg by 1 day and look more at spending time in Ashville and its surroundings.

Keep in mind there will be a couple women going so we will have to do the Biltmore tour. I am big on history so I think i will enjoy it and really want to go to the winery there.

I am sure I will have some more questions this weekend when I look more into it.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Tail of Dragon is cool - stop by the tree of shame on the bottom end of the NC side. Also the NC county where TOD is - is a dry county - so stop by the ABC store on the way there.

I highly recommend taking the Cherohala Skyway as well - checkout Bald River Falls...

Food - lots of places for BBQ in the area - others might have better opinions.

Asheville - highly recommend the brewery bus tour - I think there are 10+ breweries up in Asheville - my favorite being Highland Brewing Company.

Biltmore - checkout the Winery - they have a very good wine tasting room and prices are decent.

Pigeon Forge - even more of a tourist trap - the Titanic museum is pretty nice, depending on the weekend you are there - they might be doing there annual "Pigeon Forge Rod Run"

Also - Pigeon Forge is in a dry county - you need to go the ABC store down in other town.

Nashville is a tourist trap - I recommend the Redneck Comedy bus tour, the country music hall of fame, and stopping by Cooter's place - guy from Dukes of Hazzard's place.

If you need more info - I've been to all the places you mentioned - all recently too.
This guy........
Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Blue Mountain Lodge, great place near The Tail of the Dragon

Tree of Shame

The Dragon

Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Jim
I will have to check out that blue mountain lodge. That view is AMAZING.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
Jim
Been there two years in a row, Awesome. A couple owns and runs it, almost like a bed and breakfast atmosphere
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Lol @ lfz....
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to do some more research this weekend based off the information you have provided. it does look like I need to reduce the time in Gatlinburg by 1 day and look more at spending time in Ashville and its surroundings.

Keep in mind there will be a couple women going so we will have to do the Biltmore tour. I am big on history so I think i will enjoy it and really want to go to the winery there.

I am sure I will have some more questions this weekend when I look more into it.
IMO, Gatlinburg is more a Tourist trap with little craft shops that may lure the women. But I prefer Pigeon Forge. Still a tourist attraction with lots of outlet stores but you have better restaurants, some amusement ie go-cart race track, putt putt and there are a few places with craft beer. look at Smokey Mtn Brewery and Restaurant. And there is a winery in Pigeon Forge also.

You will be very glad to go to Biltmore IMO. Especially if you consider it was built in the late 19th century and look at the immensity of this place, the luxurious materials used. Then consider that all this work was done with hand tools. This includes the magnificent stonework throughout the house. Forget the furnishings in the dining room. Take a look at the beautiful marble on the walls and the moldings around the doorways. Maybe it meant more to me because I was a builder.But this place is so big you really can't see it all in one day. I'm speaking of the house, the gardens and the winery. Plus there are other thingsd to do there.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM
thread baron
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

While in Asheville may want to check out a few other places as well.

Grove Park Inn - Even though it is a hotel (pricey) you can park (dont have to use the valet, just go to the lot and walk up) and go into the lobby and walk around and look at the surroundings. Pretty close to the same time period as the Biltmore House, lots of great rock work and a lot of famous people have stayed there over the years. If it's cold they will have fireplaces rolling, very relaxing. Be there around sunset grab a drink in the lobby and go out on the porch(s) till sundown. Really neat around Christmas but that doesn't help with your time frame.

Biltmore Village Shops right outside the entrance to the estate. Lot of neat shops for the women, small brewery not far up the street for the guys.

Biltmore Park - Newer set of shops around 10(?) miles down I-26. Mulitple choices for food and spirits.

Downtown - As mentioned MANY shops, breweries, pubs, etc. Packs Tavern on the square is pretty neat, Wicked Weed down the road, etc. Park and walk, lots of......"interesting people watching"

Good luck with the plans!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go every year for a Mini Cooper thing. If you want a nice clean, cheap place to say, the Microtel in Robbinsville is the place. They even provide a hose and drying towels for your cleaning needs. Good free morning meal also.
My $.02 worth
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Cherohala is much more enjoyable than TOD. Zoom splats, 18 wheelers and RV's driven by Mr. Magoo on the wrong side of the road
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge both are serious tourist traps, Biltmore would be a much better option. Also, look at Waynesville, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Jim

Me too

They have a website ??
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Murder_C5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. If you wait until September there will be 2 HUGE shows & Cruzes in Pigeon Forge.
2. The dragon wont be so over run by bikes, & June, July, August the Dragon is "crotch rocket central" packed with inexperienced riders.
3.The leaves will be starting to change which will make the drive on the way much more enjoyable for the ladies w/your group.
Just my $.02
But if you all are going to be coming in June message me & let me know how many people & I can probably get you discount prices on tickets to shows & museums in Sevierville, P Forge & Gatlinburg. We have some good history spots in Sevier County & It is by no means dry. I know some good mountain roads, places to eat, Decent winery or 2 w/free tastings. You NEED the 2 DAYS you planed here to see 1/8th of the great stuff. If you like History you need a locals prospective to prevent the whole tourist trap aspect. Anyway if you want any info on spots & or a guide while in town let me know. Would be more than glad to help out any way possible.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 PM
C-6forRJ
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jimman
Been there two years in a row, Awesome. A couple owns and runs it, almost like a bed and breakfast atmosphere
Was just looking through this post when I saw a reference to the "Blue Water's Mountain Lodge".. A great place and location for all your activities in that area. and it has a BAR.. most areas are dry.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking a road rip down to tail of Dragon

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I'll be headin to the Dragon on the 24th and 25th (Thursday and Friday) of this Month. Anyone interested in meeting up or in the area and want to roll up there...let me know.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Hwy 64 between Franklin and Hayesville, 25 miles of rugged beauty,...mind your speed.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the Dragon this past Saturday. It was freakin' JAMMED with bikers. After you do the Dragon, take Hwy 28 (Moonshiners 28) and enjoy a little more peaceful ride. 28 has nice twisties and it runs along a big river and Fontana Lake. The entrance to 28 is right there at the Dragon store and restaurant so you can't miss it.

Quick Reply: Taking a road rip down to tail of Dragon