Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

2014 Vettes for Vets

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US Icon
I'm just hoping a full tank of gas will be enough. Last year I was showing 7mpg (instant) down the backstretch, but I'm sure I averaged much better overall. Plus I want to run the spirited bonus laps at the end of the day. Happy hour! Man that would suck to miss 'Dega, and for a wedding of all things.
but there is enough slow driving that you should be ok, just show up full....I was getting 5-7mpg at Daytona and almost could complete (2) 30 minutes sessions ...generally 5 minutes before the end of the session I would have fuel light and creep out to get gas.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I was sort of smart alec-ing about gas jokingly. 8 sessions is 40 laps which is 104 miles. I'm not worried about gas.

Scott - Speaking of Daytona I'll be there in April. Will I see ya at both of these events?

As for the lineup order for corvetteforum members, I wonder if it would be easier to have Jeff W assign each member a group number, like you're in group 1 or you're in group 2. Once we knew that, then the 15 guys in group 1 could pick their line up order, same with the guys in group 2, & 3. Just an idear...
Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This would be my fifth year as well but life has gotten in the way and we'll be sitting this one out.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
This would be my fifth year as well but life has gotten in the way and we'll be sitting this one out.
Sorry to hear that Bill you will be missed..Hope everything is ok with you..
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SoSlow1
Wouldn't be the same if we didn't get to see you and Vince Charles..
Looking forward to seeing Dolores and you Tim. Vince wants to see the widebody.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mako72
Looking forward to seeing Dolores and you Tim. Vince wants to see the widebody.
Tell Vince the nose is going on week after next..
Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

registered and ready to go !
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 PM
KY Brian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm registered and ready also! I'm in for 2 sessions.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Registered and Ready to Go!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

As for the lineup order for corvetteforum members, I wonder if it would be easier to have Jeff W assign each member a group number, like you're in group 1 or you're in group 2. Once we knew that, then the 15 guys in group 1 could pick their line up order, same with the guys in group 2, & 3. Just an idea...
I'll pass this along to Jeff Williams. Sounds like a good plan to me and probably will work out better when we are attempting to lineup. I don't really care where Iam, just don't want to be first or last.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
....To do something like this on a comparable track like Daytona costs in the thousands....
Well....not exactly!!!

I've been to the Vettes-4-Vets event, and it's nothing like running an HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) at Daytona. It's a great event, and for an outstanding cause, but it's not a track day event.

If you do something like the Petty Driving Experience at Daytona, it's expensive and you don't get much track time. And you don't get to drive your own car.

However, if you come to one of the HPDEs at Daytona you can run your own car for about 4 or 5 thirty minute track sessions per day - about 2 hours of track time each day.

Running Daytona is more expensive than any other track day event in the country - you'll spend around $400 per day.

However, you run the Rolex 24 roadcourse - not just the tri-oval. And, you go as fast as you and your car can go!!!

The Daytona events require a helmet, but other than that just drive your car to the track and drive hard and fast!!

So, if you like 'Dega you'll LOVE Daytona!!

There's a 2 day track event at Daytona a couple weeks before the Vettes-4-Vets event at 'Dega (April 10-11). Let me know if you need more info.

BTW - that April Daytona event allows convertibles to run with no cage/rollbar. There are virtually no other track day events that will allow verts to run unless they have rollover protection, so if you have a vert and want to let the beast loose, come on down to Daytona in April.

Then you can go on up to 'Dega the next month and see if you can go faster!!

There are also several events at Daytona every fall, but verts cannot run without a cage/rollbar.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Well....not exactly!!!

I've been to the Vettes-4-Vets event, and it's nothing like running an HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) at Daytona. It's a great event, and for an outstanding cause, but it's not a track day event. If you do something like the Petty Driving Experience at Daytona, it's expensive and you don't get much track time. And you don't get to drive your own car. However, if you come to one of the HPDEs at Daytona you can run your own car for about 4 or 5 thirty minute track sessions per day - about 2 hours of track time each day. Running Daytona is more expensive than any other track day event in the country - you'll spend around $400 per day. However, you run the Rolex 24 roadcourse - not just the tri-oval. And, you go as fast as you and your car can go!!! The Daytona events require a helmet, but other than that just drive your car to the track and drive hard and fast!!

So, if you like 'Dega you'll LOVE Daytona!!

There's a 2 day track event at Daytona a couple weeks before the Vettes-4-Vets event at 'Dega (April 10-11). Let me know if you need more info. BTW - that April Daytona event allows convertibles to run with no cage/rollbar. There are virtually no other track day events that will allow verts to run unless they have rollover protection, so if you have a vert and want to let the beast loose, come on down to Daytona in April.

Then you can go on up to 'Dega the next month and see if you can go faster!! There are also several events at Daytona every fall, but verts cannot run without a cage/rollbar.

Bob
Thanks for the information Bob. Sorry I wasn't trying to compare this to an HPDE event. If anyone does they will be disappointed. Talladega is a charity event at "highway speeds" on the official full portion of the track. This is not doing an autocross event. I hope I wasn't misleading anybody...that was not the intention. Pretty sure those on here know all about the event and how much fun it is.

For Daytona my understanding is you can't drive your car on Daytona International Speedway anymore (pretty sure you use to be able to) but like I said...these were limited charity events and it would cost $1000+ for just a few laps. Doesn't appear you can even do that any more after I quickly googled it and went on the official site. (bummer!)

There are NO passenger or amateur cars allowed on what would be considered the professional portion of Daytona International Raceway. Autocross is usually held on a separate, smaller paved/concrete track designed for go-karts laid out in the turn 3 infield. No portions of the oval or professional road course is used for those events. Ride & drive experiences at Daytona can either be purchased though the Richard Petty Driving Experience or Exotic Driving Experience. In both of those cases, you are driving cars they provide instead of your own car.
For Daytona is your video of the the smaller track? I am assuming it is.

So just to be able to be on Talladega's Official track definitely seems worth it now more then ever. Wish they would once again allow it for Daytona...if even a charity event at "highway speeds". That I think would be something else! But the insurance companies probably have something to do with that.

I'll keep the HPDE type of events in mind. Right now I don't have a lot of extra cash put aside for brakes, tires, etc., that would be needed for doing an HPDE event or shortly thereafter.

Be good

Last edited by XtremeVette; 01-20-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Thanks for the information. Yeah I wasn't trying to compare this to an HPDE event. If anyone does they will be disappointed. This is a charity event as "highway speeds". Far from racing your car around for like an autocross event. Hope I wasn't misleading anybody...that was not the intention. Pretty sure those on here know all about the event and how much fun it is.

For Daytona is your video of the the smaller track? Iam assuming it is. This is what I read:

There are NO passenger or amateur cars allowed on what would be considered the professional portion of Daytona International Raceway. Autocross is usually held on a separate, smaller paved/concrete track designed for go-karts laid out in the turn 3 infield. No portions of the oval or professional road course is used for those events...
And I certainly don't mean to hijack the Vettes for Vets thread!

But, I just wanted to reply to the comment about thousands of $$$ to run Daytona - as I mentioned, you can run one day of most of the HPDE's for a little more than $400.

We run the 3.56 mile Rolex 24 roadcourse - the EXACT same course that will be run this weekend during the Rolex race:

You can see that this includes about 98% of the tri-oval. The only parts we don't run are the very short section between Turn 1 (the turn from the front straight into the infield) and Turn 7 (usually called Turn 6 at most events).

We also have a chicane (the Bus Stop) on the SuperStretch (back straight) to slow down the sports cars before entering NASCAR Turn 3.

Prior to about 2007 nobody ran the track at Daytona without some kind of competitive racing license. However, since then there have been several HPDE type events here every fall, and last year and again this year there is one in April.

These events don't require anything but a regular driver's license, a car with good tires and brakes, and a helmet.

A couple of the events don't allow novice track drivers, but the ones in April and December are open to novice track drivers that have never run on a track before.

If you watch my video you can see that I accelerate around NASCAR Turn 1/2 and I'm doing 160+ mph into the brake zone for the Bus Stop, and coming out of NASCAR Turn 3/4 I accelerate to about 175 mph across the start/finish line in my stock C6 Z06 before braking down for Turn 1 into the infield.

That's not Autocross speed!!

Here we are coming around a high-banked section at about 140 or so, heading for about 165 down the straight - got held up a little waiting for those cars ahead to give me a point-by (you have to get permission to pass at HPDEs):

As far as what's allowed at these HPDEs - I've seen all kinds of passenger sedans (Audi, BMW, VW, Toyota, Subaru, Bentley, etc.), I've seen Fiat 500s, and how's this Honda mini-van look?!?!:

So....exact same track you'll see the Rolex 24 run on this weekend, and that includes virtually the entire tri-oval/high-banked track.

No special track license required.

Almost any passenger/amateur car that you want to run can be driven at a couple of the events - the April one is the only one that allows convertibles, and they must run with the top up.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-20-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
And I certainly don't mean to hijack the Vettes for Vets thread!

But, I just wanted to reply to the comment about thousands of $$$ to run Daytona - as I mentioned, you can run one day of most of the HPDE's for a little more than $400.
We run the 3.56 mile Rolex 24 roadcourse - the EXACT same course that will be run this weekend during the Rolex race:
So....exact same track you'll see the Rolex 24 run on this weekend, and that includes virtually the entire tri-oval/high-banked track.
No special track license required.
Almost any passenger/amateur car that you want to run can be driven at a couple of the events - the April one is the only one that allows convertibles, and they must run with the top up.

Bob
Wow...thats very cool Bob...thank you for the information! I'll keep it in mind. Ill see what Iam up to this fall. My spring is very well booked up. My bro is getting married.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey guys. I have sent you all an important special private message from Jeff Williams to pass along to anybody partaking in this event. Please check your PM's. Anybody with any questions, contact Jeff Williams or myself. Thanks all!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I'll be attending the HPDE in Daytona this April, so thanks for the info Bob. I have tons of questions about it but don't want to hijack this Talladega thread. I'll wait for a new thread on Daytona.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Talledega charity event is cool and for a very good cause! At the ned of the day its a chance to drive on a famous track with your own vehicle. They do a great job at running the event. This year I will most likely will donate, as it involves both types of vets that I truly appreciate but may not make the trip.

If your goal is to do get up on speed and do some true performance driving with your vehicle then this is not the event for you and you need to look towards an HPDE.

Bob...hit it spot on for Daytona and this April's event is also a charity event. Bob sold me on Daytona with his other posts, then I was lucky enough to have him as an instructor. Yes a helmet is required at Daytona but speed/ performance was the limit of your car and ones ability. The 400 fee got me 4 30 minute sessions, approx 11 laps each sessions.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Vettes for Vets

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
grandadsvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just hoping a full tank of gas will be enough.

Last year I was showing 7mpg (instant) down the backstretch, but I'm sure I averaged much better overall.

Plus I want to run the spirited bonus laps at the end of the day. Happy hour!

Man that would suck to miss 'Dega, and for a wedding of all things.
I have signed up for 2 sessions. Whats the deal with the spirited bonus laps?

When do you know what time your sessions are?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Everyone registered gets assigned a number 1 through 270 (or whatever the highest number is). The first group that goes out is the guys who have 1-15. As they head out on the track, the guys with 16-30 line up on pit road to go out next. Etc. Once you know the number being called to lineup over the PA, you'll be able to tell when yours is getting close. So you will have two different numbers since you bough 2 sessions. If they do it the same way as last year you should get a morning session and an afternoon session...I think. Last year I bought 4 sessions worth and ended up with a single morning session which was the corvetteforum group, then 3 sessions in the afternoon. Also, they call audibles on the fly when say only 13 cars are lined up staged to enter pit road, they hollar on the PA asking for two more cars, any 2 cars just to fill the group up to 15. Every year they admit a few tweeks and changes so it's hard to say with certainy what will be what, other than it will be a blast

I did not participate in the bonus laps last year, but as I understand it you can buy an additional 5 laps for $25. Tim, Soslow1, ran the bonus laps last year and could give a better description than I. Paging Tim!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

So we will see a C7 at Talladega this year!!!!

Quick Reply: 2014 Vettes for Vets