Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

DC driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default DC driving

I just moved to DC and have no idea where the good driving roads are. I really enjoyed the GW Parkway in Chain Bridge but I know my Z06 can do better than 30 miles per hour. The North Virginia Corvette Clubs seem active but I was just wanting some suggestions for some short drives I can take from the city.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

I'd head out west on route 50 in Virginia. Maybe go south on route 17 when you get there, although that stretch is only 45, there's some cool scenery. I love driving through that part of the state on my way to Corvettes at Carlisle every year.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
JK C6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to make it a day trip, head west on either 33 or 250 from I81. Go out one and return on the other. You won't be disappointed.
You can also go I66 to Front Royal and then down Skyline Drive but it's a more sedate trip. Avoid travel on weekends or summer as it's too crowded. Blue Ridge Parkway begins at end of Skyline Drive and goes into NC and it's the same type of drive.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
GoHokiesGo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several of the wine trails throughout Loudoun, Winchester, Fauquier, Culpeper and down towards Charlottesville are really nice drives. Lots of rolling country roads, some twisty areas, and pretty scenery into the Blue Ridge mountains.

Plus you get the benefit of being able to stop at a winery or two on the route. Makes for a nice day trip.

Last edited by GoHokiesGo; 05-17-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Keep the awesome suggestions coming.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
HRS KLR
Instructor

If you are looking for something close by that can be a fun little drive, while not a fast drive by any means. Head down 193 through Great Falls, VA. It has a couple of twisties and the houses in that area are unreal.

Also located off of this road is Katie's coffee and cars GTG's every Saturday morning. Do a youtube search for Katie's cars and coffee to get an idea of the caliber of cars that show up. Unreal...
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Gents, I need a long stretch of noft used roadway to burnish my ceramic brakes. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
novafx4
Racer

Welcome to the area.

There's a cars and coffee every Sunday morning at the Common Grounds in Middleburg, VA. If you stay off of the interstate and take the back roads you'll probably enjoy the drive. You'll probably like some of the cars you'll find up there too.

The Common Grounds is a coffee shop. Do a search and you'll find the details.

Get notified of new replies

To DC driving

Quick Reply: DC driving