Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

>>> The OFFICIAL RALEIGH-DURHAM-CH Meet-Up Thread <<<

Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm very interested in the VIR Charity Laps, but there is zero practical information on the site about it. Has anybody done one of these and care to illuminate me?

1) Is this open to true stock street cars, or does it require harnesses and other modifications?

2) Is protective gear required? (In other words, do I need to buy a helmet?)

3) Is it free driving or behind a pace car? Are speeds governed? Is passing allowed? Is it one car at a time, spaced out so as to avoid each other? Is it just a slow crawl around the track at 20MPH so Sunday drivers can say they have been on a track?

4) Are private drivers allowed to register? How? There is nothing on the site. Do you need to go through a club that has a certain number of allocated slots?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by CaryKen
1) Is this open to true stock street cars, or does it require harnesses and other modifications?
Any car or motorcycle can run. You'll see everything from Minis and Miatas to Vipers and Ferraris. One guy last year brought an '80s vintage Skoal Bandit Winston Cup car.

2) Is protective gear required? (In other words, do I need to buy a helmet?)
No.

3) Is it free driving or behind a pace car? Are speeds governed? Is passing allowed? Is it one car at a time, spaced out so as to avoid each other? Is it just a slow crawl around the track at 20MPH so Sunday drivers can say they have been on a track?
There is no passing, but this also isn't a track tour. I've been 135+ at these. Some places you'll be able to run WOT. Others you'll get bunched up. You'll be 60-90 most of the time and under 40 when traffic gets bunched up. A lot of people leave between 2 or 3 so the later run groups are smaller and quicker.

4) Are private drivers allowed to register? How? There is nothing on the site. Do you need to go through a club that has a certain number of allocated slots?
Just show up, pay, and drive.

Oh, and passengers are allowed.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
96extcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
There is no passing, but this also isn't a track tour. I've been 135+ at these. Some places you'll be able to run WOT. Others you'll get bunched up. You'll be 60-90 most of the time and under 40 when traffic gets bunched up. A lot of people leave between 2 or 3 so the later run groups are smaller and quicker.
This is some great info there...specifically the people leaving between 2 and 3. Means I could probably go to the office for a few hours that morning then head up.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

JCS, you are a wonderful human being. Incredibly helpful answer. Thank you for taking the time.

I've gotta do this!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

You guys enjoy yourselves.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:52 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

You guys enjoy yourselves.
JC what are your thoughts about opening a new thread corresponding to this year for the new people who might not have this one bookmarked, i.e. >>> The OFFICIAL RALEIGH-DURHAM-CH Meet-Up Thread 2014 <<<
Old 03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
JC what are your thoughts about opening a new thread corresponding to this year for the new people who might not have this one bookmarked, i.e. >>> The OFFICIAL RALEIGH-DURHAM-CH Meet-Up Thread 2014 <<<

Good Idea
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I'm wondering what the advantage would be to a new thread. Wouldn't using this one more serve the same purpose?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Bump for Charity Laps:

From VIRnow.com:

Open House and Charity Laps to Benefit Victory Junction

Have you ever dreamed of being a racecar driver and speeding around the Uphill Esses and Oak Tree Turn at VIR? Here’s your chance! Join us March 28 as we host our Open House and Charity Laps to benefit Victory Junction, a camp for chronically ill children started by NASCAR’s Petty family. Pay just $25 for the opportunity to drive your own car on our historic 3.27-mile full course for 15 minutes. In addition, all facilities at VIR will be open for your enjoyment. Spend time karting, skeet shooting and dining at the Oak Tree Tavern, all for a good cause.

All proceeds will go to Victory Junction, a nonprofit with the mission to enrich the lives of children with serious illnesses by providing life-changing camping experiences that are exciting, fun and empowering, in a safe and medically-sound environment, at no cost to campers and their families. Victory Junction, located in Randleman, N.C., is built on 84 acres donated by racing royalty Richard and Lynda Petty. In 2000, their son, Kyle Petty, a fixture on the NASCAR circuit for over 25 years, partnered with actor and racecar driver Paul Newman to launch Victory Junction.

Since opening in 2004, Victory Junction has enriched the lives of almost 20,000 children and family members and has hosted children from all 50 states and four countries. The cost of sending one child to camp at Victory Junction is $2,500, but no family incurs that cost thanks to donors like you.

Help make the lives of these children a little brighter while having some fun. We can’t wait to see you March 28!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Are any other forum members from the NC Triangle area planning to do the VIR Charity Laps this Friday? I'm going to head up mid-day in my new C7 to do laps in the afternoon. Always happy to meet neighboring enthusiasts.

BTW (and off topic), afterwards I'm overnighting in Roanoke Rapids for Saturday morning NCCAR laps in a 458 Italia. My first time in a Ferrari... Whee!

--Ken
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
96extcab
Instructor

Are any other forum members from the NC Triangle area planning to do the VIR Charity Laps this Friday? I'm going to head up mid-day in my new C7 to do laps in the afternoon. Always happy to meet neighboring enthusiasts.

BTW (and off topic), afterwards I'm overnighting in Roanoke Rapids for Saturday morning NCCAR laps in a 458 Italia. My first time in a Ferrari... Whee!

--Ken
Ken,

I'm planning on going up at some point Friday. I've got a few things to tackle in the morning, then heading up sometime when I'm done with that. What time were you thinking of heading to the track?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I wish I could go, but will be heading overseas for a week. Have fun. I hope the weather is good for ya'.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96extcab
I'm planning on going up at some point Friday. I've got a few things to tackle in the morning, then heading up sometime when I'm done with that. What time were you thinking of heading to the track?
Thought I'd go up midday for some mid-afternoon runs. But the weather is not cooperating with us, so I am going to keep an eye on the radar and hourly forecasts on Friday to try and find a dry window.

--Ken
Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 PM
96extcab
Instructor

Thought I'd go up midday for some mid-afternoon runs. But the weather is not cooperating with us, so I am going to keep an eye on the radar and hourly forecasts on Friday to try and find a dry window.

--Ken
Sounds like an (almost) plan. Sent you a PM with my info, maybe we'll end up heading out around the same time.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Default RIP Cars & Coffee - Cary

It's been shut down by the owners of Waverly Place. Apparently a few bad apples ruined it for everyone.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 AM
96extcab
Instructor

It's been shut down by the owners of Waverly Place. Apparently a few bad apples ruined it for everyone.
Saw that yesterday. I'd only been once, but it seemed like a nice turnout. The forum post invited others to help with planning a future event though.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Just knew it couldn't last....

But it was way huge even for that area of the parking lot....hopefully something new gets started, but in the meantime I wonder if Grill 57 will draw a lot more cars now...

Get notified of new replies

To >>> The OFFICIAL RALEIGH-DURHAM-CH Meet-Up Thread <<<

Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Just knew it couldn't last....

But it was way huge even for that area of the parking lot....hopefully something new gets started, but in the meantime I wonder if Grill 57 will draw a lot more cars now...
Someone on HPJ suggested approaching PNC Arena, but all that open space could turn into a drag strip.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone on HPJ suggested approaching PNC Arena, but all that open space could turn into a drag strip.
Given the jacked up parking rates, they should build us a drag strip there.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

This Saturday, 4-19-14.

Cars and Coffee™ Raleigh Grande launched Saturday March 15, 2014. Cars and Coffee™ Raleigh Grande is a monthly gathering of auto enthusiasts from 8:00am – 11:00am on the third Saturday of each month where proud drivers from the Raleigh area and beyond will congregate to kick tires and enjoy some refreshments. There will be something for everyone to enjoy; classics, exotics, concepts, hot rods, motorcycles and motor-sport. And it’s all free, minus the refreshments of course.
This replaces the defunct one in Cary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >>> The OFFICIAL RALEIGH-DURHAM-CH Meet-Up Thread <<<